General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jack Daniels: "Should I Change my Running Technique?" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-12-09 11:38 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Jack Daniels: "Should I Change my Running Technique?"

There has been some discussion in the past about Pose running, chi running, etc, heel strike versus toe strike. Here's an interesting article by Jack Daniels on the subject"

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/graphics/National/gabbiLeukemiafoot-strikenewsitemJackDaniels.pdf

It's fairly short, and I would have posted it in it's entirety except it's in pdf format and I don't know how to cut-and-paste from that.

Here's another article from the same newsletter, by Dr. Arnie Baker on how to treat road rash:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/graphics/National/RoadRashABC.pdf

Daniels and Baker are, respectively, TNTs national running and cycling coaches.

Edited by the bear 2004-12-09 12:00 PM

2004-12-09 11:46 AM
in reply to: #90783

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Jack Daniels: "Should I Change my Running Technique?"

For those who can't read a pdf (any left?)

Should I change my running technique?

By Jack Daniels September 29, 2004

In recent months, and in fact dating back many years, there have been various articles

referring to the benefits of using a particular style or technique of running; one that will

make the task of running easier and more injury free.

First, it should be understood that there are two major issues relative to this matter – one

is a mechanical issue and the other a physiological issue. It is important to eliminate poor

mechanics, and for some runners this means wearing some corrective device, such as

orthotics in the shoes. Other runners simply need to learn to minimize landing shock, so

the hips, knees, and feet are subjected to the least impact stress possible. Typical

approaches to accomplishing this latter goal are (1) wear quality shoes that absorb a good

portion of the shock associated with each foot strike, (2) use a foot-strike technique that

suits your strengths and possible weaknesses, (3) learn to use a light, quick turnover,

which usually means taking shorter, quicker steps than you normally would. For years I

have encouraged runners to learn to take about 180 steps each minute of running and that

is a good goal to shoot for. Keep in mind that the slower the stride rate, the more time

spent in the air, and more time in the air means displacing the center of mass higher,

which means falling farther with each landing, which of course increases landing shock.

When you run a marathon you will take thousands of steps and landing shock adds up.

Minimize landing shock with shorter, quicker steps; shoot for 180 per minute.

In addition to the mechanical issue addressed above, there is the matter of energy

expenditure, a physiological issue, and something I have studied extensively for over 30

years. To briefly summarize some of our findings, I offer the following.

(1) Using a slow turnover (150 – 170 foot-falls per minute) costs more energy than

going 180 or a little faster

(2) Shoe mid-sole material influences the energy demand of running, with harder

materials usually being more costly on hard running surfaces, such as a road

(3) Shoe weight influences the energy demand of running, but a very light shoe may

actually increase the "cost" of running if it is too light to do an effective job of

cushioning landing shock

(4) How your foot strikes the ground affects the energy demand of running. This is

perhaps the point of greatest controversy, since some recent claims have been

made that landing on your forefoot is the way to go. We have tested runners who

ran forefoot all their lives and when we forced them to land heel first they used

less energy – immediately (this has been the case in the majority of our tests). We

tested at least one runner who ran rear-footed all his career, who used less energy

when forced to run fore-footed. Others were most economical with a mid-foot

landing. We tested a group of runners every 30 minutes, who ran for two hours at

their marathon race pace and when forced to change foot strike, were less

economical at 30, 60, 90 and 120 minutes, when they switched to any different

landing technique than the one they normally used.

The primary difference in how different foot-strike techniques affect a runner is that a

rear-foot or mid-foot strike brings the quads and knee joint more into play and a fore-foot

strike lessens quad and knee involvement and puts greater stress on the calves and

Achilles tendons. When a runner has practiced one technique for a prolonged period of

time, the muscles most involved will usually have adjusted to the stress and switching to

a new technique may result in injury to areas not used to handling the shock. I cannot

recommend changing your foot-strike from one that is comfortable for you, but I can

certainly recommend working on a light, quick turnover and wearing quality shoes as you

train for an upcoming endurance event. It is not possible to say there is a proper

technique for striking the ground as you run, unless it is to say, "use the foot-strike that

you feel comfortable with and that produces the least discomfort in the muscles and

tendons being stressed." For most people that is a mid or rear-foot strike.

Leukemia Lymphoma Society Team in Training Coaches’ Newsletter

2004-12-09 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Great article!

It is very difficult, even when concentrating, to get that kind of leg turnover described. This is one area I need to practice, practice, and then practice.
2004-12-09 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
I'm going to Pose this weekend and I'll report back to you guys on how it went.

I come from a running (heel strike) background and recently switched (this past season) to a 30strides/20sec cadecne and mid-foot strike. I have noticed that after the "getting used to" period was complete, the mid-foot strike was much less harsh on my body (particularly my IT band and knee) compared to my heel strike.

My ITBS has not come back this past season at all. My knee trouble has not come back this past season either.

Do I attribute it to my mid-foot strike? You betcha...

But, I'm gonna change my running gait once again to Pose, so who knows what will happen now.

Edited by Steve- 2004-12-09 12:01 PM
2004-12-09 11:58 AM
in reply to: #90789

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Thanks Johnny. I cleaned it up a little to make it more readable: 

Should I change my running technique?

By Jack Daniels September 29, 2004

In recent months, and in fact dating back many years, there have been various articles referring to the benefits of using a particular style or technique of running; one that will make the task of running easier and more injury free.

First, it should be understood that there are two major issues relative to this matter – one is a mechanical issue and the other a physiological issue. It is important to eliminate poor mechanics, and for some runners this means wearing some corrective device, such as orthotics in the shoes. Other runners simply need to learn to minimize landing shock, so the hips, knees, and feet are subjected to the least impact stress possible. Typical approaches to accomplishing this latter goal are (1) wear quality shoes that absorb a good portion of the shock associated with each foot strike, (2) use a foot-strike technique that suits your strengths and possible weaknesses, (3) learn to use a light, quick turnover, which usually means taking shorter, quicker steps than you normally would. For years I have encouraged runners to learn to take about 180 steps each minute of running and that is a good goal to shoot for. Keep in mind that the slower the stride rate, the more timespent in the air, and more time in the air means displacing the center of mass higher, which means falling farther with each landing, which of course increases landing shock.

When you run a marathon you will take thousands of steps and landing shock adds up. Minimize landing shock with shorter, quicker steps; shoot for 180 per minute. In addition to the mechanical issue addressed above, there is the matter of energy expenditure, a physiological issue, and something I have studied extensively for over 30 years. To briefly summarize some of our findings, I offer the following.

(1) Using a slow turnover (150 – 170 foot-falls per minute) costs more energy than going 180 or a little faster

(2) Shoe mid-sole material influences the energy demand of running, with harder materials usually being more costly on hard running surfaces, such as a road

(3) Shoe weight influences the energy demand of running, but a very light shoe may actually increase the "cost" of running if it is too light to do an effective job of cushioning landing shock

(4) How your foot strikes the ground affects the energy demand of running. This is perhaps the point of greatest controversy, since some recent claims have been made that landing on your forefoot is the way to go. We have tested runners who ran forefoot all their lives and when we forced them to land heel first they used less energy – immediately (this has been the case in the majority of our tests). We tested at least one runner who ran rear-footed all his career, who used less energy when forced to run fore-footed. Others were most economical with a mid-foot landing. We tested a group of runners every 30 minutes, who ran for two hours at their marathon race pace and when forced to change foot strike, were less economical at 30, 60, 90 and 120 minutes, when they switched to any different landing technique than the one they normally used.

The primary difference in how different foot-strike techniques affect a runner is that a rear-foot or mid-foot strike brings the quads and knee joint more into play and a fore-foot strike lessens quad and knee involvement and puts greater stress on the calves and Achilles tendons. When a runner has practiced one technique for a prolonged period of time, the muscles most involved will usually have adjusted to the stress and switching to a new technique may result in injury to areas not used to handling the shock. I cannot recommend changing your foot-strike from one that is comfortable for you, but I can certainly recommend working on a light, quick turnover and wearing quality shoes as you train for an upcoming endurance event. It is not possible to say there is a proper technique for striking the ground as you run, unless it is to say, "use the foot-strike that you feel comfortable with and that produces the least discomfort in the muscles and tendons being stressed." For most people that is a mid or rear-foot strike.

Leukemia Lymphoma Society Team in Training Coaches’ Newsletter
2004-12-09 1:30 PM
in reply to: #90798

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
I thought we were going to be discussing Whiskey and the merits of drinking it while running....

2004-12-09 2:25 PM
in reply to: #90828

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
You would, wouldn't you. ;-)
2004-12-09 2:50 PM
in reply to: #90854

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Now if I could just figure out a way to carry my highball (without spilling) with a peanutbutter sandwich and still maintain a sub 10 min mile average, ah... dare to dream....
2004-12-09 2:55 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
I have switched from heel striker to toe striker. It took me a about two weeks and quite a bit of pain to adjust. The calves cramped up and hurt like hell the first couple of nights and I had blisters to pop. By the end of the second week, I had only fatigued calves to deal with (to be expected).

I honestly can say there has been a payoff for me. My knees and hips hurt nowhere near as much as they did before. Let me say that again, my knees and hips hurt nowhere near as much as they did before. I no longer have the joint discomfort during or after the run, and my recovery time is much shorter. I'm no scientist, but I new I was doing something wrong to have so much pain. The harder I ran as a heel striker, ,the more pain I was in for.

I was skeptical at first, but now, there is no question that it is a method that works. The additional schock absorber was what I needed. This week I'm doing 22.5 miles all on my toes. Before, I was averaging 32.5 as a heel striker. Next week I plan to be back at my old distance. Add to that, I've dropped a minute off of my avg mile times on the days I'm running against the clock.

If you take the plunge, you have to go all out. Start with a short run (2 miles) and build back up. This is my last week at 4.5 miles and I'm able to run every day without pain. Good luck to those that make the switch.
2004-12-09 2:56 PM
in reply to: #90828

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-12-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: #90870

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Ice reduces splash....

...or a travel mug, but that takes some of the fun out of it....

2004-12-09 3:30 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
I think too many people don't realize how important good running form is. When I was in high school and college, my cross country and track coach made us work on form all the time. We would warm up and do drills after drills. The guys would make fun of us girls for wasting so much time out there, but it paid off. I used to be the worst runner ever...I ran slumped over, heel-striking, looking down at the ground in front of me, arms all tense, kicking the legs too far back, etc. Now, I have a much smoother, fluid running style...running feels so much more effortless.

However, like tom, I thought we were discussing the alcohol...Like how drinking afterwards will kill all the pain. Oh well.
2004-12-09 4:03 PM

Elite
Chicago
Never tried to drink while running ... but I have gone diving drunk (any experience with that scuba-punk?) and THAT is something I would not recommend.
2004-12-09 4:07 PM
in reply to: #90880

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-12-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: #90880

Master
Marietta, Ga

Every time I see the name Jack Daniels, it reminds me of going to football games at Doak Campbell Stadium (FSU).  We'd order Cokes, pour some out, then fill them back up with a little JD that we sneaked (snuk?) into the game in flasks taped to our stomachs.  You'd stir it up with one finger and start partyin'.  Man, those were the days.  I've not tried running while drinking, there's gotta be a law against that somewhere.

My worst hangover was a result of Jack mixed with a broken heart.  I've not had any since and that was many, many years ago.

Oh, and Bear, that was a good article.  Thanks for posting it.  Talking about booze is a lot more enjoyable, though.  Drinking it is, well, just plain good fun.

Edited by Motivated 2004-12-09 4:39 PM
2004-12-09 4:34 PM
in reply to: #90919

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

To continue this slide off topic:

Y'all drank at football games? The horror! The shame!

I had LSU season tickets for six years or so and I never remember leaving the stadium. Rumor was that gate security would search you for a flask, and if they DIDN'T find one, they would issue you a full one.

2004-12-09 4:41 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga

Bear, looking at our avatars, I made the following observations:

1. That bear looks intoxicated.
  2. You and I joined up here about the same time, how the heck did you get 500 more posts than me?
  3. Accourding to BT, I have a gold member, and you have a bronze one.  Its a bitch getting through airports, isn't it?
2004-12-09 4:55 PM
in reply to: #90930

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Bear, looking at our avatars, I made the following observations:

1. That bear looks intoxicated.
  2. You and I joined up here about the same time, how the heck did you get 500 more posts than me?
  3. Accourding to BT, I have a gold member, and you have a bronze one.  Its a bitch getting through airports, isn't it?

You must be hitting the JD early today:

1. How do you think he makes it through those cold winters?
  2. By answering dumb questions such as this, and plenty of them.
  3. I keep telling them I'm from LSU and that's my flask. They seem to understand...
2004-12-09 5:01 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga

Some alcohol related humor:

(Tequila.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tequila.jpg (37KB - 12 downloads)
2004-12-09 5:03 PM
in reply to: #90919

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Motivated - 2004-12-09 2:29 PM

Every time I see the name Jack Daniels, it reminds me of going to football games at Doak Campbell Stadium (FSU).  We'd order Cokes, pour some out, then fill them back up with a little JD that we sneaked (snuk?) into the game in flasks taped to our stomachs.  You'd stir it up with one finger and start partyin'.  Man, those were the days. 

Heck I barely made it into the stadium (PSU) b/c I had too much fun partying in the parking lot.

Now, I have to go read this article I'm "posting" about.

2004-12-09 5:06 PM
in reply to: #90930

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Those were the days...

I went to Texas Tech where purse size was equally as important as breast size when dating (at least for game day).  Of course, this was back in the day (88 - 92) when no one was searched - getting busted meant the campus police would sternly lecture you when you fell over a couple rows of people (when you jumped up, rembered your bottle on the concrete floor and sacrificed your body - along with the row in front of you, to avoid knocking it over).

We would just bring in the bottles of beam, jack and bacardi.  The isle below the seats looked like a bar as far down the row as you could see and barter was the name of the game...

"Anyone have any tequilla?  I have vodka and bourban... tequilla anyone? Pardon me, darlin, you got any Quervo in that big ol' bag? 

Smile, southern drawl..."We made screwdrivers, cutie..."

Consternation, resignation.  Sigh... "well, I guess it is 11:30, and technically still morning, and I did skip breakfast... what the hell, sugar.  Fill 'er up...."

2004-12-09 5:10 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga
Those noon football games were always a great excuse to start drinking early...we'd hit Denny's for the Grand Slam to iron out the wrinkles from the night before then start the process all over again to get ready for the game.  I don't remember many of my college football games, although I attended every one.
2004-12-09 5:12 PM
in reply to: #90944

Master
Marietta, Ga

We would just bring in the bottles of beam, jack and bacardi.  The isle below the seats looked like a bar as far down the row as you could see and barter was the name of the game...

Tom, you gotta work on an "Ode to Bacardi"...great word, nice illiteration, rhymes with Party.

2004-12-09 5:19 PM
in reply to: #90947

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Motivated - 2004-12-09 4:12 PM

We would just bring in the bottles of beam, jack and bacardi. The isle below the seats looked like a bar as far down the row as you could see and barter was the name of the game...

Tom, you gotta work on an "Ode to Bacardi"...great word, nice illiteration, rhymes with Party.

Many possibilities there, but I gotta step out!  Still, it was like a giant slap in the face, seeing your comment.  Peanut butter, athenas, sex, camisoles, fridays and countless others, but no Ode, booze?  Sometimes the most obvious things are right under your nose.

I have much to say on this topic, so it could be a long one....
2004-12-09 5:38 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga
Why can't it be Friday?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jack Daniels: "Should I Change my Running Technique?" Rss Feed  

of 2