General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chamois and saddle question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-13 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Subject: chamois and saddle question
Out of necessity, or laziness in the laundry department, I've done a couple of 45-60 minute rides lately without tri or bike shorts, just plain old Under Armor spandex shorts. What I've discovered is that I am actually more comfortable this way. I have a heavy saddle, Specialized Dolce Gel. It seems that the chamois combined with the somewhat cushy saddle might cause more chaffing and pressure.

So now I'm wondering if the I should consider a much lighter and harder saddle and use tri shorts. My thinking is that it would be lighter and I would be taking the cushion out of the seat and putting it in my shorts. Or maybe I should just invest in more Under Armor shorts and consider myself lucky that I found the right saddle regardless of its wt.

I really don't want to spend the money to find that the Ruby or the Jett don't work for me. I'm partial to Specialized women's specific now that I've had the Dolce. I assume the geometry of the cut out would be the same and I know that it works for me.

Am I the only one who finds sans chamois more comfortable?

2008-03-13 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1269466

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: chamois and saddle question

If you found a comfy combination, stick with it.   If you change seats, you might be LESS comfortable and out some cash too.  

I don't see how removing an ounce or 2 of padding from either your shorts, seat or both is going to make much of a difference in speed.  Go with comfort first.   If you like the non-padded stuff, that will only make running in them mo-betta.  

2008-03-13 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
I've been wondering lately about the trend that changed from padding the seat to padding the shorts. Doesn't seem like it would make that much difference either way. If you are comfy, I'd say stick with it.
2008-03-13 1:00 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
You should have padding in only one place, either the saddle or the shorts.

With heavy padding in both places, you kinda have too much material stuffed up in that small area, causing chafing and discomfort.

A less-padded saddle can be had for pretty cheap, if you do your research. Or you can keep riding in your unpadded shorts.

Either way, you will be more comfortable eliminating one source of padding.
2008-03-13 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
I prefer the less padded shorts and almost always ride in tri shorts. The only time I ride in bike shorts with more padding is during my shorter week day rides. I was in a store trying on some tri shorts one time and a lady was asking me questions about the shorts. I told her she has to find what works for her. If you like the seat you have, I'd say keep it and change the shorts. Finding a seat you like isn't always easy. Go with what works for you.
2008-03-13 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
western iowa, almost nebraska.
I know that my LBS will let you test ride different saddles to see if they are a good fit. Check around and see if they will work with you on that. I had my wife use 3 to 4 different saddles before she found the one that works best for her.

You are learning, too much padding is worse then not enough, too much causes undo pressure in vital areas, and will also cause rubbing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chamois and saddle question Rss Feed