General Discussion Triathlon Talk » List of Tri Gear - what order to buy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-13 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
South Florida
Subject: List of Tri Gear - what order to buy?
I'm pretty new to the sport, haven't even done my first race yet, but since I'm a NERD - OK, really, I'm obsessive and anal-retentive - I made a list of all the gear I think I need to buy. I put it in the order I think I should buy. This is based both on cost and, primarily, usage - i.e. I'll use dri-weave shirts in training more than I'll use a race belt (it's damn hot and humid in SoFla). Currently, I only have some running shorts and a hybrid bike that may or may not have clipless pedals (The person I got it from used clipless, but I haven't checked to see if she took them off.) I am intending to do sprints for a while and I think my longest distance ever would be a HIM.

Also, this list doesn't include ongoing costs like shoes and bodyglide.

Dri-weave shirts
Bike shorts
Timex IM watch
Master swim classes (this is an ongoing expense, but I can't afford/justify right now)
Bike Shoes & Clipless pedals
Cadence monitor/bike computer
Clip-on Aerobars
Race/H20Belt
Tri-suit
Swim lessons (if Master swim is not enough)
Road/Tri bike
Sports Nutritionist Session
Road ID (only because I always carry my id, but it will make a good gift)

So, am I missing anything and does this order seem good?

Thanks!

Edited by yogus 2008-03-13 11:14 AM

2008-03-13 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1269631

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: List of Tri Gear - what order to buy?

If at all possible, include tri suit/shorts/top up there in top place with your shirt/shorts. Considerably better to race in, and, yeah, you should train as you would race. The dri-weave/bike shorts are not going to be ideal to swim in, and attempting to change clothes in transition is a huge challenge.

Race belts are cheap ($6) and also provide a huge time savings in transition. If you do a search you can find where some have made their own out of <$2 worth of supplies from WalMart.

2008-03-13 12:10 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Timex IM Watch', but you might want to consider making this a heart rate monitor/watch if you weren't already. 

Also, I train and race pretty much in tri shorts only, so you might be able to combine there and just get tri shorts instead of both types.

Edited by DMW 2008-03-13 12:11 PM
2008-03-13 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1269827

User image

Regular
South Florida
DMW - 2008-03-13 1:10 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'Timex IM Watch', but you might want to consider making this a heart rate monitor/watch if you weren't already. 

Also, I train and race pretty much in tri shorts only, so you might be able to combine there and just get tri shorts instead of both types.

I was just looking at any ol' Timex IM watches (good quality, but inexpensive) - my old watch crapped out on me. I hadn't thought of the HRM option. I wasn't planning on racing any time soon, so I thought the bike shorts would be good, but - duh - I could get the tri shorts and use them instead.

2008-03-15 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
I think the most important thing missing from your list is a copy of Joe Friel's excellent book, "The Triathlon Training Bible".

Stuff like cadence computers and so forth are very helpful but the numbers don;t mean much until you know what to do with the data and how to interpret it to optmize your training.

Much of what you may get from a session with a sports nutritionist you can also get (and keep...) from one of the many excellent books on sports nutrition (can you tell I read a lot?). That way you own the knowledge yourself. It may also be helpful if you do decide to see a nutritionist- you'll already understand many of the concepts they discuss with you.

A clipless pedal system is a good idea and be certain to get a dedicated road system, not an MTB system or spinning class/leisure style clipless pedal with a walkable shoe- there are some hefty performance compromises with the "walkable" shoes with recessed cleats and the benefits aren;t really worth it. You buy bike shoes to ride, not to walk, so getting a road system makes sense.

If you are torn between a road bike and a tri bike then this resource may be useful in helping you make your decision:
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

2008-03-15 12:52 PM

Expert
Road bike
Bike shorts
Bike Shoes & Clipless pedals
Cadence monitor/bike computer
Swim lessons (if Master swim is not enough)
Road ID (only because I always carry my id, but it will make a good gift)

this is what i would do.. if your not racing any time soon... if you are a trisuit or try short are in order..

2008-03-16 11:42 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
On a budget, here's roughly what I paid for some of the items on your list [or a cheap price that I've seen]:

Dri-weave shirts - I don't know what that is, I usually run shirtless or in my cycling jersey which cost $40
Bike shorts - I got tri shorts for $40 at my LBS but I think you can find a better deal online [watch the shipping]
Timex IM watch - My wife got one as a gift for Christmas with a 30-lap recall/50 lap chrono for $25. On another thread someone got a watch on Nashbar for $12
Master swim classes - I don't do any masters stuff and I can average 1:45 over 1500 yards. I know everybody's different but there are a bazillion resources out there to help you improve your form. If you're still not satisfied after many months of diligent work on your form then it might be worth looking into, or at least a few sessions with a knowledgeable coach.
Bike Shoes & Clipless pedals - don't have these yet but I've heard of combo deals starting around $110 for a set.
Cadence monitor/bike computer - $25 at Wal-Mart [Schwinn - no cadence though] just to get some baseline info so you can quantify improvements and maybe dial in on some interval work. A HRM might be a better investment though. And the guy up above is right that you'll need to do some research on how to sort through that data once you have it.
Clip-on Aerobars - I got some Profile Design T2+ bars from trizone.com for, I wanna say, $67 shipped [free shipping over $50 - good time to buy a box or two of Gels as well]
Race/H20Belt - Bear covered this one for $6 or <$2 for DIY
Tri-suit - don't have one of these either and really only want one for the look. Cheapest I've seen that actually look okay start around $70
Swim lessons (if Master swim is not enough) - see above
Road/Tri bike - You can get last year's model off the sales floor at an LBS for a discounted price. This is going to require the most money and the most research. A good bike fit is also highly recommended [I've seen a lot of $150 figures on BT]
Sports Nutritionist Session - research research research. Your local library should have plenty of books and periodicals for you to sort through.
Road ID (only because I always carry my id, but it will make a good gift) - there's a Road ID coupon thread going right now that saves you $1. I don't know how much they are but you can always just carry your library card with you

Some things I didn't see on the list [which kinda fall into the "ongoing expenses" category] include replacement tubes, tire levers, CO2 cartridges/nozzle thingy or some kind of portable pump, bottle cages [of your bike doesn't have any or doesn't have enough] and water bottles. Oh, and a little cargo dealy to keep this stuff in that goes on your bike [or a bike jersey with some pockets to haul it in]
2008-03-17 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
If you are just looking to get started this is all you need.

Tri shorts and top or tri suit
bike
bike helmet
race number belt
running shoes
two or three water bottles
waterproof watch optional

If you are riding a hybrid I wouldn't worry about going clipless or doing the aerobars as the gains won't be significant enough to matter. You have to be a total beast to pull off a age group podium on a hybrid or mountain bike. Save your money toward a road or tri bike and only have to change shoes once in transition.

Until you are winning your age group and want to really move up to top overall positions you can skip the nutritionist too. There is enough info online and in books to get you going in the right direction, no sense in paying big dollars for what can be had for cheaper or free.

2008-03-19 11:33 AM

User image

Regular
South Florida
Wow- stay offline for a few days and look what happens!

Thanks for all the great responses!

@ Thomas D. - I was flipping btwn two triathlon books and the "bible" was one of them. Planning on getting it at the library to review.

@ All others re. nutritionist - I kinda agree on the nutritionist thing - I've started doing some research on the net, etc.

@ Bripod - I have shoulder issues, so I think some form instruction would be good. I've looked at Total Immersion, but even if it's for a few months, I plan on the Master's swim - it's only $35/month at my local pool and the class is really small, so it's like a cheap personalized swim coach. (Also: hello, run-on sentence.)

Seems like a good idea to wait on the cadence monitor/pedal set. I just figured it would help me and hold me off a bit until I could get a bike. But, since I'm not really competing, just participating, I can skip and put that dough towards a bike. Need to get another one of those tool carriers. Mine was stolen - b@stards!

FWIW, just got 3 dri-weave shirts at Marshalls for $25 - 2 are of great quality.

Next in line are the watch/HRM, just b/c I hate not having a watch, and/or the shorts. Just depends where I am and what jumps out at me 1st.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It really helps.
2008-03-19 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
South Florida
@ Thomas - great link! Answers some questions I've been having.
2008-03-19 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1280542

User image

Master

yogus - 2008-03-19 9:33 AM  FWIW, just got 3 dri-weave shirts at Marshalls for $25 - 2 are of great quality. 

Great!  I was wondering if it was worth looking at such stores for clothing.  I'll take a peek when I get a chance.

2008-03-20 6:21 AM

User image

Regular
South Florida
Absolutely! You won't find a LOT, but there's enough for me. I found more success with the shirts than the shorts, although I was able to get 1 pair. My local thrift store was best for shorts, but not shirts - go figure. Also, there were some warmer layers at a great price, too. I live in FL, so warmer layers just means a dri-weave long-sleeve shirt and leggings, but they were there. Also, check the clearance rack - got a Nike Dri-weave T-shirt for $5 - in flourescent yellow, but, hey, I need to be seen!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » List of Tri Gear - what order to buy? Rss Feed