Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-03-16 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1270092

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: RE: Early morning work-outs
I am in the military and have been getting up early for 16 1/2 years, I still hate it. I am currently geting up at 4:45 am to be at the "Y" by 5:30, mindyou it only takes me 1 minutes to get there but I get stuff ready for my daughters for breakfast because (now you learn why I am hating getting up this early) my wife works 2nd shift and the only time we get together is when she gets home. IOW, I don' tcrash until about 12:30 am. This is stariong to catch up to me though and I told the wife it won't be happening much longer.

2008-03-16 8:48 PM

User image

Mystic, CT
for my high school swim practices we would have to be at the pool by 5:30 am on saturdays, and it flat out sucked, but i HAD to wake up...so i did. Dont give yourself a choice! it seems to unnatural to wake up THAT early to do a work out though!
2008-03-16 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1272691

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

BHannahs - 2008-03-14 3:14 PM I routinely get up at 4:00 to get my training in before I leave for the office.   I can't say that I feel fully awake at that hour, but I think it makes it easier to put my body through the workout before it has a chance to wake up and realize what is going on and be able to protest.  It's almost like a hostage situation

LOL! Ain't that the truth when it's dark, cold and windy!

You know it's early when... I go into the bathroom to get dressed and have to use the dimmer light because even the family cat is squinting from the bright lights.

Another thing---

I like my early 5 am runs because it's DARK. Yeah, I'm slow..but I've seen how I look in the reflection of retail establishment windows... and lets just say I'd be happy if I only had to share my odd running gait/look during races vs with the entire town everyday in broad day light.

2008-03-16 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1270489

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

tmueller - 2008-03-13 2:16 PM Get yourself a pair of dogs. I have two beagles that will not let me sleep past 4:30 a.m. They believe that it is their right to be feed that early and no amount of shoes or pillows will settle them down. Since I have to get out of bed I usually start my day at that time. I usually get to bed around 10 or 11. A couple of times a week I need a catnap to feel rested but otherwise I'm fine.

I wish my dogs were like that!  But mine now understand when I'm hitting the snooze button.  They get up and get excited like, "She's up!  She's up!"  Then sad, "No she's not...that was just the snooze button."  And they flop back down on their beds.  I wish they would make me get up!

2008-03-17 5:40 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Best thing to do IMHO, move the alarm clock so you HAVE TO get out f bed to even hit snooze. Once I am out of bed it is a done deal.
2008-03-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1275361

User image

New user

I am a morning person. I get up at 4:30 and go for a run. I love the cool morning air, birds waking up and quiet streets. I am noticing though that I am so used to running in the cold that my runs during the day are a total murder. It does not even have to be hot, it's enough that there is sun (I live in CA so yes, we get a lot of that) and I slow down, my heart rate goes up and I just feel miserable.
How do you all morning birds acclimatize for running in warmer temps?

2008-03-17 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Try this.

(Clocky.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Clocky.jpg (10KB - 9 downloads)
2008-03-17 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1276269

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

I need that clocky! 

I have a hard time waking up in the AM as well.  I realize now that it is when I am forcing my body tohave less than 7 hours of sleep.  My problem is that I already get up at 5:30AM (lol - OK I TRY to get up at 5:30AM) to be in to work at 7AM.  I actually have been waking up at 6:40AM and gettng to work around 8:30AM.  THis sucks.

I get off at 4 and don't get home until well after 5PM, sometimes 5:30 (supposing I actually got into work on time - otherwise it is 6:30PM before I get home).

I really want to get in some AM workouts because my schedule has a lot of back to back workouts and splitting them up throughout the day works better for me - better quality of each individual workout (obviously bricks are excluded from this!)

I am just tired of rolling out of bed an hour after my alarm goes off stubbing my toes in a rage of complete absurdaity just trying to get out the door in order to get to work late.  Again.

I will try moving my alarm clock to across the room - I think that will help.  I am the snooze queen.

2008-03-17 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Grayson, Ga.
a while back Mike posted.
Drink lots of water and you'll have not choice in getting out of bed.
This is good advice.
Every drink for Mike, clink.

I'm lucky because I can do one of my workouts at lunch. We have a pool about 7 minutes from the office, but If I'm not going to swim, I run.

I get home, power nap for 20 minutes and I'll either run or ride (mostly on the trainer) once I help get the kids to bed.

Some how you have to make the time.

-Brian
2008-03-17 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
If it's a priority it would happen. If it was a big job interview would you struggle to get out of bed?

I am lucky as I spent 6 years in the military, plus growing up in a environment where no one slept in, the mornings are easy for me.

If I am going on less sleep than I should I will set my cell phone across the room so I have to get up, but usually once it goes off I get up and out the door, that's the key.

I set my stuff outside the bedroom so once I get out of the door it is there, I throw it on and off I go. It is actually easier when I go somewhere for the workout, cycling by the beach downtown or the pool is easy as I just jump in the truck and off I go, not even thinking about it.

I save the runs for later in the day, and prefer to bike then as well since we don't get much heat in santa Barbara I want to get as high temps as possible so I can handle the 20deg difference tween home and where I may race.

Another good one is to go to bed in what you would wear to workout, that way you get up and go, no thinking or debating, or fumbling in the dark trying not to wake the warden.
2008-03-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1276759

User image

It sounds like the OP needs much more sleep than the average person. I think he needs to go to bed at 8 p.m. to get up at 5:30 a.m. to work out.

I think this is the real root cause. If the OP really needs almost 10 hours of sleep every night, then he will have a hard time finding the time to train.

2008-03-17 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Pretty much agree with what's been said.  I'm used to oh-dark-thirty wake-ups (28 years of military life will do that to you).

That said, the one thing that gets me out of the bed is laying all my stuff out the night before.  Workout clothes, heart rate monitor, water bottles filled with powder that just need to be filled up, iPod, etc.  The reason this helps me is I can sometimes talk myself out of working out if I think I have to "do stuff".  With everything laid out the night before, it sets a mental expectation that I'll be getting up and transitioning right to the workout.

Oh yeah, I also set my coffee maker to be done when my workout is done.  That way my reward is a fresh cup o' joe.

I'm usually up at 0430.

You can do this!

2008-03-17 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I would definitely start slowly with one day at a time.  I actually can't handle getting up at the crack of stupid (4:45am) more than three days in a given week.  Right now I have it down to Monday's and Wednesday and do my third swim on Friday afternoons but if we have plans it gets pushed to the AM.  I am VERY crabby if  A.) I have to do it two days in a row and B.) More than three times a week not to mention incoherant.  Maybe start with Friday's and then go to Tues/Fridays so you have some recovery time.  A little extra gu in the morning doesn't hurt the workout either if your really having a tough time.

Good Luck!

K

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early morning work-outs Rss Feed  

of 3