2008-03-16 9:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-03-16 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1274481

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Sepsis
I'm so sorry this is happening to your dad Lara...HUGS   I'll do my best here.  I would first of all ask for a MRI of his head to be sure he didn't have a stroke in the middle of all this.  Certainly that would account for some of his symptoms.  I would also be asking how his liver is doing now that the abcesses have been drained.  A bum liver with heptotoxicity may account for some of his confusion etc. and I would ask how much they think is coming from that versus a possible brain injury.  They may not not know and it may be both.   Sounds like he had congestive heart failure (fluid in lungs because heart isn't pumping well)  Ask if his EKG is normal or did he have a heart attack as well.  If he was in a-fib ask if that is under control.  a-fib is kind of common and easily controlled.  Ask if they did an echo cardiagram and if that is normal.  Hope this helps...shoot Derek a PM about the thread he knows more than I do about this stuff
2008-03-16 9:46 PM

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Ok....a lot going on here and ill comment on what i can...but the caveat is that there is often a lot lost in the translation between docs and the family. My input comes as a critical care phyiscian myself.

1. Long term heart damage? --not sure what is meant by that.  It is common for people with sepsis and shock to have some injury to the heart. Its like a giant cardiac stress test that some patients fail.. It may mean that down the road he may need to check for blockages. Also sepsis can sometimes "stun" the heart and cause it not to beat as strong and fluid can back up into the lungs (not blood).  An Echocardiogram can show the heart function.

2. Brain damage...If he has underlying dementia, and now in additon he has a severe infection, heart failure, now getting antibiotics, fluids, in a strange different surrounding, (the ICU), loss of a day/night cycle...it can be overwhelming for the brain...and causes a global confusion or delerium. It is common and very distressing for families to see it. This does not mean he did not have a stroke, but what you are describing is not uncommon. If the doctors cannot find any "focal" findings or specific neurologic deficits..he may not need an MRI...The problem with those is that you have to be really still and not move for a long time. This often requires medication to make you sleepy which they are probably trying to avoid in your dad. If he medically improves from his infection etc, less tubes, drains, meds etc...people tend to become less "out of it".

Now my question as a monday (or sunday night) quarterback is how did he get the liver abcesses?  Usually need a belly infection or a heart valve infection which can go along with 4 weeks of not feeling well leading up to his hospitlization.

The bigger picture...despite all that is going on.. he is not on a breathing machine (Ventilator) and you do not mention any kidney dysfunction....Those are two important areas that seem to be doing well.

Hope this helps. Best wishes to your father.

JT

Edited by jtopin 2008-03-16 9:49 PM
2008-03-16 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1275217

2008-03-17 12:33 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
SOund slike some ggod news Lara....His confusion is most likely related to his illness/liver function being squirelly but you never know.  Sounds like he is getting better tho....go with what the real drs said I'm just a carpenter
2008-03-17 3:06 PM

Champion

Sorry, Lara.  I was working this weekend and didn't get around to this until now.  You've gotten some good advice so far.  Not much more to add.

I'm even impressed that Sue talked about non-bones for awhile too. 

2008-03-17 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1276677

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
DerekL - 2008-03-17 4:06 PM

Sorry, Lara.  I was working this weekend and didn't get around to this until now.  You've gotten some good advice so far.  Not much more to add.

I'm even impressed that Sue talked about non-bones for awhile too. 

HAHAHA and I got the steroid thing right too PPPFFFHHHTT Shocking I know
2008-03-17 7:42 PM

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Lara,

Glad to hear things are a bit better.  The confusion and his forgetfullness is classic for "delerium".  Medical speak for confusion and should get better as he gets better.

From a heart standpoint...in terms of keeping it simple...it seem that it doing the job for him to get up walk around etc so overall sound good. The internet interpretation of what might have been going on was between his infection, atrial fibrillation (realtivly stable but irregular beating of the heart), extra fluids he was getting (antibiotics), some fluid (not blood) backed up into his lungs.  A question you might want to ask which Sue allready suggested was the results of an ECHOCARDIOGRAM. In particular how well the left side of his heart is beating.  This may be  a better question to ask the cardiologist....a person reading a report over the phone without being able to "interpret" might result in some scary sounding information that in reality is not so bad.

PM me if there are any ?.

JT

2008-03-19 12:31 AM

2008-04-16 7:30 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sepsis Rss Feed