General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I want to go from tubby to triathlete! :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-19 10:42 AM

Subject: I want to go from tubby to triathlete! :-)

Hi everybody Smile

My goal over the next year is to lose weight, get in shape, and ultimately train to run a triathlon.  This is an ambitious goal, because I am currently 100 pounds over weight and a total couch potato!  But I am really inspired by the idea of getting fit enough to run a triathlon.  My inner athlete is dying to come out!

I have joined Jillian Michael's website for her eating and circuit training programs.  I'd like to add extra cardio from the training programs on this site.  I am planning to first do the "Couch-to-5k Conservative" program (28 Weeks), then move on to the "Michael Pates Total Sprint" program (22 weeks).  If I follow these two programs, I should be poised to run a triathlon one year from now!

One of the reasons I was attracted to this community is that I'm looking for some people that I can look to as role models/mentors.  I've never been athletic, and neither has anyone in my extended family, so I don't have any personal role models that I can look to for an example of how I could be living. 

Is there anyone out there who has been where I am now?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks!

2008-03-19 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1280382

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV
Subject: RE: I want to go from tubby to triathlete! :-)

I have not been where you are now (I was overweight as a child, but not a 100lbs) but just wanted to say good luck and welcome to BT.  Make the most of the endless knowledge that can be found on this site.

I wish you strength and perseverance!  Welcome!!!

2008-03-19 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
Way to go! You made a commitment which is the first step. I have so far lost 29 pounds, with about 50 more to go. The fitness and focus on nutrition that triathlons require make it pretty hard to not lose weight. My only advise is to not get into the habit of thinking that you can eat everything since you are exercising so much. Good luck!
2008-03-20 12:36 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Hi Lori and welcome....I too was overweight and have come quite a long way in the four months that I have been a member here! I was athletic growing up...but retired from most everything about five plus years ago....and pretty much did nothing after that....and continued to eat like I did when I was active....I was over 200 lbs when I started this triathlon training and have lost over 40 lbs in the four months I have been here. I have hit a plateau and now continue to stay at the 165 lbs..I have been for the past few weeks...but I knew this would happen...and try not to worry as much about the weight as I do the intake of food and what activities to do....I try and switch things up so that I do not get bored with one or get burned out with running...or swimming...I love to bike and used to race mtn bikes....so that is a given for me...so, my suggestion to you is to see a doctor....make sure that you are in good health and you are ready to take on the training...and then just go as hard as you can...without injuring yourself. Walk if you can not run.....then walk and run.....and before long you will be just running and not even realizing how far you ran! the same with biking....if you do not have a great bike...who cares...just ride what you got and go small distances at first...and try and up the miles each week...join a masters swim team...not only will you get great direction from the coach and the teammates but you will make friends for life. and finally just have fun...do not put pressure on yourself...just try and make it to where it is not a job but something you like or hopefully love to do! good luck! you have come to a great community and you will get TONS of support from all! WELCOME! you will love your new family here! they are the best!!
2008-03-20 12:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-20 1:48 AM
in reply to: #1282223

Master
Chicago
Lori -

You can TOTALLY do it. It's only been 10 months but I've managed to lose over 90lbs. I didn't follow the run program initially I started by walking like the conservative program... did that for a few months then over the winter was mostly doing DVDs (including some of Jillians!) but then I picked up the run program after the holidays this year.

I have my first 2 Tris in July and Aug (an Oly even!) and I'm really excited about it. I'm amazed with how my body has been changing since I started running. I still have just under 60 to lose myself, but It's nice to be nearly 2/3 done.

By this time next year you will be SO ready! Go for it.

2008-03-20 4:01 AM

Melon Presser

You have definitely come to the right place, and welcome to BT! Triathlon is such a quirky, wonderful, expansive, incredibly way to get fit, and you won't find finer athletes and mentors than on BT. People are so generous with their time and advice around here.

I know, offhand, a dozen people here who have lost more than 80 lbs, several more than a hundred, myself included. Like mixie said ... if we can do it, anyone can.

Congratulations on a wonderful decision, on your progress already, and for wisdom in going at it gradually. Couch to 5K then Pates's plan is an excellent idea!!!

2008-03-20 4:16 AM

Expert
Long Island NY
Go for it!
2008-03-20 10:18 AM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I was never super athletic as a kid/teenager, but now I love it.  I'm not competitive but I AM an athlete.   Can you do this at 100 pounds overweight?   Yes!  I think it's all about changing your mindset about what is important to you.

Best tip, get on here often and start filling out your logs, and find a couple of people to inspire and ask lots of questions.  Check out the different forums, find where you're comfortable and jump right in. 

2008-03-20 12:57 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome and encouragement!  It's good to know that my goal is ambitious but not impossible.  I'll be looking forward to getting to know everyone! 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I want to go from tubby to triathlete! :-) Rss Feed