General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for triathletes using coaches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-21 7:15 AM

Subject: Question for triathletes using coaches
Hey everybody, I'm an intermediate level triathlete thinking about getting a coach and was reading the other thread about coaches.

Of the users who do have a coach...does using a coach really keep you accountable and motivated? How much does having somebody do all the thinking for you help?

Ultimately, did you see time drops because you had more accountability, motivation, direction etc. in your training? Do you think this is a mental effect or is it the result of tangible coaching benefits.

I tend to be injury prone and I want to get to the finish in one piece, so those things are important to me too.

2008-03-21 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1284754

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Question for triathletes using coaches

As a beginner I chose to use a coach so that I would remain injury free, use my time more effectively and have someone with experience guiding me.

I think your last statement - being injury prone - suggests that you would benefit from expert guidance.  

But I am only a beginner - have only completed one triathlon (last weekend) so my opinion does not hold much weight. Having qualified my statements I will say:

With coaching I stayed injury free, DID use my time effectively, won my age group, came in 4th overall in the first time women (missed 3rd by 4 seconds to a woman less than half my age) and 7th overall in men and women, beat all the other first timers I knew racing and had a great race.  I am meeting up with my coach this weekend to review and go forward to hopefully have a fantastic kick azz season.

I am a believer in expert opinions - having a coach whose opinion I respect and trust has been quite helpful to me.  I have also sought opinions here (and all the first time tips people gave me were GREAT - and made a HUGE difference). 

2008-03-21 8:05 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
2008-03-21 8:05 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Where is amiine?
2008-03-21 8:53 AM

Champion
South Jersey

Coaching has nothing to do with accountability or motivation -- at least for me. I'd still be just as motivated and just as dedicated to sticking to my training plan if I didn't have a coach.

I saw my times improve because of the quality of the plan; it had nothing to do with a change of mentality brought on by having a coach.

I don't understand why people get a coach for accountability. I hear people say it all the time. You get your butt out of bed bright and early each day to train because you have race goals...not because you have a coach who will be looking over your shoulder....

2008-03-21 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

for things such as form where I know I can improve,, swimming and running I'll use a coach for a session by session bias or blocks of 3 -6 sessions if needed..

for my training plans I use the ones here since I think they are very good for me and a having a coach won't make me more accountable..

I"ve improved my swimming quite a bit with the swim coach I've used

2008-03-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1284916

User image

Expert
LaurenSU02 - 2008-03-21 8:53 AM

Coaching has nothing to do with accountability or motivation -- at least for me. I'd still be just as motivated and just as dedicated to sticking to my training plan if I didn't have a coach.

I saw my times improve because of the quality of the plan; it had nothing to do with a change of mentality brought on by having a coach.

I don't understand why people get a coach for accountability. I hear people say it all the time. You get your butt out of bed bright and early each day to train because you have race goals...not because you have a coach who will be looking over your shoulder....

I agree. I got a coach simply to help put together a sensible plan that's specific to me and my goals for a specific tri. The motivation and accountability comes from within. Most people are their own worst critics and give themselves a hard enough time when they don't train.
2008-03-21 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
LaurenSU02 - 2008-03-21 9:53 AM

X2

I do have a coach. But I went with her because I did not know how to adequately train for an HIM. I am an intermediate level triathlete, too. I like my coach because I don't have to think about where I am in my training cycle and what workouts accomplish the things I need during that particular period. She does that for me. Also, if I have any issues, I can ask her how to proceed, whether it is a possible injury, or just a hectic real life week. Before I went with a coach, I got up and did my workouts regularly and consistently. Now, I feel like my workouts are more precise and not all about volume. I PR'd my first sprint of the season last Saturday and I'm not in as good of shape this year. I think I owe my fast time to my coach. And I know I am on the way to peak performance in June vs. March/April like last year. By the time my A race in June rolled around, I was struggling. My coach will have me in top form this year!

Anyhoo, I don't think getting a coach is about accountability. It is about training smarter. Good luck on your quest.

Pam
2008-03-21 10:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-21 10:14 AM

Champion
A good coach will also instill a little humility into your life.  But not always.
2008-03-21 1:56 PM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Ian123 - 2008-03-21 8:15 AM
Of the users who do have a coach...does using a coach really keep you accountable and motivated? How much does having somebody do all the thinking for you help?

Yes. It's not about them doing ALL the thinking - you need to be able to have a dialogue about your goals, etc., and they need to listen to your feedback.

My coach looks long term and keeps me training consistently. It's very easy when you're working by yourself to keep jumping from one training strategy to another. Places like BT, while useful, have the potential to make that worse. Everybody's got an opinion about the right way to train, and while they're often valid, they can vary a great deal.

One voice, one plan makes a difference.

Ultimately, did you see time drops because you had more accountability, motivation, direction etc. in your training? Do you think this is a mental effect or is it the result of tangible coaching benefits.

Yes. My mind doesn't make me swim, bike, and run faster -- proper training does.

I tend to be injury prone and I want to get to the finish in one piece, so those things are important to me too.

A coach who listens to you can help ensure your program is right for you. I train a lot more than I used to, and have stayed injury-free. I credit my coach for a lot of that.

2008-03-21 2:33 PM

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I've used a coach for two years.  The money I pay does provide and incentive to get out the door sometimes. Otherwise what's the point.  However, joining a BT mentor group is even more motivating knowing that if you slack off someone will get you for it.

The biggest point of having a coach for me vs using a plug and play training plan is that the coach knows me and my abilities, life and goals.  A plan can't do that.  My coach takes that all into consideration and creates training on a periodization plan for me based on each race I have planned for the season and not just the A race that the plan picks for.  My coach also reels me in when I get overzealous and want to push harder than I should.  I also have a sounding board to ask questions.  It is all well worth the cost.  I wouldn't be nearly as consistant if I created my own training or just worked a plan.  I started to quit my coach and do the IM BT plan but after looking at it decided that my coach's approach is more suited to me.  If I did the BT plan I would be mentally whipped before the IM ever got here due to the distances it called for.

Like everyone else that's just my .02.

Good Luck! 

2008-03-21 7:00 PM

Champion
MA
LaurenSU02 - 2008-03-21 9:53 AM

x3 or 4

I have used the same coach going on my 4th season. Why I started was so I would use my time efficiently and trust an expert to help me train smart. He has helped me improve faster than I would on my own.

Having a coach has helped on so many levels..beyond training plan. I know why I am doing this workout like this instead of like that. I've learned to be mentally stronger racing and training. He has helped me with race nutrition/hydration and helped me with my overall diet and helped me achieve my weight loss goals. He is great at encouraging me and helps me when things don't go so well figuring out why and accepting it. He helps with equipment purchases as what is appropriate and what isn't.

One thing he has helped with is trying to avoid injuries and if I got them how to deal with them. Often us triathletes are type A people and push on to much in pain. Taking some time off when something first crops up often makes the time you take off less.

I can't imagine ever not having a coach if we can afford it. The cost is minimal compared to what I get from my coach. I think it is well worth the cost.

My coach is Will from tri-hard.com 

Edited by KathyG 2008-03-21 7:02 PM
2008-03-21 8:09 PM

Virginia Beach
I am a second year triathlete and decided to pay for a few sessions of coaching this year. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making any serious mistakes in form or training plan.

The biggest help came from swim coaching. He took video and made many recommendations about my stroke and customized swim drills for me. After three sessions with the coach (and several practice sessions in the pool on my own) my swimming times decreased by 25%!

The coach helped me create a training plan and set reasonable second year goals.

I'd recommend a few coaching sessions for any new triathlete just to make sure you're on the right track.

-Todd
2008-03-21 9:25 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

I have been doing tris for about 7 years now.  This is the first year I decided to use a coach and I can't believe I didn't before now.  Every year I would get injured running and tend to lose a race (or more sometimes) and I never could progress in distance past about 18km. 

I obviously was overtraining.  Before I couldn't fathom training more than 6 to 8 hours a week.  Now I am up at 10 and still feel fine.  No injuries and I am doing a 30 km race next week.  It is the quality of the workouts like everyone has said.   I thought I knew what I was doing....read every book and magazine going, tried different plans in books, read lots on the internet.  Having a coach is WAAAAY easier.

2008-03-21 9:36 PM

Anchorage
This is my third season in the sport and I am working with a coach for the first time. I couldn't be happier with the choice. She has designed a plan that works for my schedule, and I am starting to see all kinds of results. I'm a slow beginner triathlete, but working with a coach gives me hope that the middle of the pack is within reach. I am excercising maybe just a little more volume than last season, but much smarter due to the coaching and the training plan. Plus, after a long day at work, I like that my workout is as mindless as reading the plan and executing it. I am sure I could get similar results simply by following a good plan, but I like having a sounding board and learning some of the "science" behind the plan. The one downside is that between the individual coaching plans, the weekly coached swim session and the weekly running group, I am constantly handing cash to my coach ... she recently joked that I was her endorphin dealer. But I think money well spent.

2008-03-21 9:59 PM

Master

2nd year in tris. I have been using a coach (rocketman here on BT) since August of 07.  Previously (Dec 06 to Aug 07) I used BT plans and saw some improvement but also had months where my improvement stalled.  That's what caused me to look for a coach.

If anything, I am too motivated and Brett keeps me from doing stupid stuff (like a 20 mile run when he says run 16 miles).  So, yes he keeps me accountable to following the plan he has laid out. 

He also is more conservative that I would be on my own.  At the hint of the slightest of injury or sickness, he will schedule the right amount of time off.  This is great because I don't have to guess if I'm doing the right thing.

He lays out the road map; I follow the road map; I get faster.  It's that simple.

I've seen time drops because he lays out a plan based on my limiters.  It also has just the right amount of speed work, hill work, endurance work and rest.  I know I've gotten faster in all 3 sports since August.  Not only do my races say so, my training paces have improved and my training partners have provided major compliments.  In my mind, it's been the best money I've spent on triathlons.

2008-03-21 11:17 PM

Elite
Spring, TX
I'm in the process of starting up with a coach so that I can take the burden of developing the plan off of my shoulders and ensure that I will meet my goals in the next year.

I spend so much time studying and researching training techniques and philosophies, that I am overloaded with information. It actually makes it difficult to develop a training plan. My training partner(my wife) and I always argue about our training plan, and getting the coach was the best compromise.

I think it will be well worth the money.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for triathletes using coaches Rss Feed