General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Green goo go away! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-12 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: Green goo go away!
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a sinus infection that didn't seem to go away no matter what you tried. If so, what did you do to make it go away?

I've had this infection [that came back] for a couple of weeks now. 10 days ago i started an anti-biotic treatment.... the last pill was taken this morning. During this time i've been experiencing sinus pressure/headaches despite the decongestant i was given ["guefin"].... WARNING WILL NOT TRY TO GET GROSS BUT MIGHT- i still have a little colored discharge and the sinus pressure. I'm doing the Ocean Spray for the nose- and nothing. Starting tomorrow the doc wants me to start a 10 day treatment of another anti-biotic ["bioxin"], which is supposed to be stronger. I hate being on medication!!! Maybe i should stop swimming in the pool? [i don't want to really, i just started].

would appreciate any suggestions from experienced sinus sufferers- help, help.

Thanks in advance,

Milly

2004-02-12 11:19 PM
in reply to: #7118

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Green goo go away!
I have heard many people say that they just can't fight the crud off this year!  Good luck with the stronger antibiotic.
2004-02-12 11:22 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
jump in the pool i swim in...the chlorine fumes alone will kill off all the nastys before u even get a chance to get wet. - sorry, that will probably not help u much.
2004-02-12 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
lol, Ron.... that would be quite the drive from Illinois just to 1) work out, 2) kill the germies.
but thanks for the suggestion.
2004-02-12 11:28 PM
in reply to: #7138

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Michael - 2004-02-13 1:19 AM

I have heard many people say that they just can't fight the crud off this year!  Good luck with the stronger antibiotic.

ooh- this is the first time i tried the quote thing- how cool..... but yeah, i think i'm fighting off ten thousand other germs that i come into contact with daily. i'd think that after a few years of being around them kiddies- i'd have the world's strongest immune system.
2004-02-13 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Don't hold back on the training unless you just feel terrible. Do what's comfortable. Keep on your decongestant and drink LOTS of fluids. Sometimes it takes a couple rounds of antibiotics to whip a true sinus infection. Biaxin is a good drug and should do the trick. Make sure to take it to completion. Run a vaporizer/humidifier at bedtime. GET PLENTY OF REST!! :-) Hope you get to feeling better soon. ;-)

2004-02-13 9:11 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hi Milly,

I went thru the same thing last fall and early winter. It started with a sinus infection, them my ears were infected, then a bout of pleurisy, and finally bronchitis. That was 4 bouts of antibiotics, and it didn't finally go away until my dr added the 6 day regiment of Prednisone. Then I needed a root canal and was back on antibiotics. OY

2004-02-13 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
gr8brindle - 2004-02-12 8:31 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a sinus infection that didn't seem to go away no matter what you tried. If so, what did you do to make it go away?

I have been fighting the same thing for a month now. It started with the flu, and later became a sinus infection that won't quit. I am finding that the swimming is giving me some relief. However, my wife is cranking the heater up while I am asleep causing me to get too dry and resulting in a minor sore throat. Subsequently, my sinus begins to run and the process starts all over again.

I have noticed my energy level is not where it normally is. My concern is that I don't develop something stupid like "mono".

I am finding that adequate rest (8 hours, as opposed to my usual 6 hours) and regular hydration has helped. I also think that being indoors with all the windows and doors closed at the office and at home does not allow the space to breathe. Therein probably lies the problem. The germs continue to linger indoors.

Let me ask, do you have children? We have two boys. They are rarely sick, but when I drop them off at school, I see a number of sickly, nose-dripping children there. This absolutely freaks my wife out as she constantly chases after our boys with a Kleenex. They blow like a pro. I digress. I suspect also that our children a little "Typhoid Marys" who are bringing these wintertime bugs from their classmates home to roost. Just a thought.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. It's cathardic for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Green goo go away! Rss Feed