General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Night time sugar cravings... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-23 10:45 AM

New user

Subject: Night time sugar cravings...
So- anyone have any good nutrition knowledge to share...??? I am training between 10-14 hrs a week, try to eat very balanced, eating every 3 hours, but at night after dinner I always crave sugars and bad for me things...i am wondering if i am not getting enough carbs or proteins post workouts or my body is not getting enough calories...I eat healthy all day long and make good choices until right before bed...anybody have any ideas or suggestions as to why this may be happening...would love any feedback. Thanks.

2008-03-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1288186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Subject: RE: Night time sugar cravings...

I have the same problem, chocolate, cookies, etc. No weight gain but no weight loss either.
I would like to hear suggestions from others.

Geoff
2008-03-23 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I can't comment on what might be causing it because frankly I feel like this all the time. If left to my own devices It would be a cookie fest all the time.

What sorta works for me though is to pick something sweet but good for me with high volume impact for the calories. Grapefruit has been one of my choices. Fills me up quickly and quite sweet.

Also if I really need something sweeter something like a flavored latte works. Most of the calories are milk (skim) which is good for you and only a small portion is from the syrup. It makes me feel like I've had a treat. The milk although liquid tends to stay with me longer maybe because of the protein?

Snacks that are low-carb sometimes do the trick too - something to snack on that won't cause further insulin/sugar spikes that make you want more. Light string cheese, celery with a small bit of peanutbutter... so on.

-muse

2008-03-23 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I was experiencing the same thing and was just recently diagnosed with insulin resistance.  There is plenty of info out there on the internet...just do a search for insulin resistance.  This is not to say you are insulin resistant but I never thought I was either since I did not think I had any symptoms.  After reading about it, I realized I did have many of the symptoms as well as did many of the things that increased the insulin resistance. I have only just begun my medication treatment on Wednesday but I have noticed a definite decrease in the carbs/chocolate cravings.

Good luck.

2008-03-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1288624

New user

Thanks for the feedback, never thought about that. I will look into it. I feel more like i am not getting enough of the right calories, but i will check that out.
I appreciate it.
2008-03-24 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I always keep lots of fruit in this house to eat in the evening.  Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, and if I run out of those, apples. 

2008-03-24 4:11 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Eating fruit usually helps satisfy my sweet cravings.  Yesterday I wanted something sweet so I had a salad and threw some grapes in there adn that was good enough for me.

I just recently bought some 100 calorie icecream sandwiches- so if JUST HAVE TO HAVE some thing sweet related those little icecream sandwiches do the trick and they're only 100 cals each. 

I try to be good but sometimes I just have to give in and just eat something sweet and suagry that's loaded w/ calories- but I try my best not to.

I've found that eating more protein has helped decrease those sugar cravings.  Alot of times I'll drink a protein shake or smoothie before bedtime- that usually fills me up for hte night.  Since I mix frozen strawberries in it that helps satisfy my sugar cravings.

Another trick that I use is eat all natural peanut butter when I eat apple slices.  That also makes a good sweet snack.  I try to be careful w/ the amt. though because if I'm not careful I could eat a whole jar of peanut butter

Edited by runnergirl 2008-03-24 4:15 PM
2008-03-25 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I'd ask if you've actually tracked your calorie intake vs. your actual exercise needs.  Your body may be craving because it just wants more food.

And, you could always try upping your protein and see if that helps.  I think a lot of triathletes don't get enough protein, generally.

And, after a long hard workout, I LOVE chocolate milk (or soymilk) as a replenishment drink.  Protein, carbs, some sugar - so good.

2008-03-26 4:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-29 2:40 AM

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

Maybe it is funning what I am going to say but it would help.

If you start craving during the night (it can be due to many reasons but especially because of a light dinner) try to eat your planned breakfast during the night (whatever time is). I said PLANNED and not to overeat!

You will sleep much better and you will not be hungry on the morning start.

Then around 9am you eat your PLANNED break and you will be fine.

When it happens to me, I find it useful like this. You need to be only careful on the calories intake and that you plan your breakfast and break before going to sleep.

Good luck! 

2008-04-08 10:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
MN

Few thoughts...

If you are hungry at night, eat something that won't hurt you - cottage cheese, light yogert, left over chicken, protein shake.  Perhaps a carrot/salad but really no simple carbs.

If you can get away with it, due to who you live with.  Throw away all bad for you food.  That's right, chuck perfectly good bags of cookies, chips, crackers, bars, candy...  They are the devil and have absolutely no value to your body.  Then don't buy the garbage, save the cash for a new bike or run outfit.  I'm pretty week on the cookies (I'll eat a box of Girl Scout thin mints in one sitting).  I find it easier to go extreme.

Suck it up buttercup.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Night time sugar cravings... Rss Feed