Bedford,
England
Bedford Harriers
Total Time = 1h 49m 8s
Overall Rank = 575/1076
Age Group = Senior Lady
Age Group Rank = 39/131
Pre-race routine:

Drank some carbohydrate drink whilst travelling there. Changed into race clothes and shoes, put gels in race pouch, dithered about whether too cold to just wear vest and shorts.
Event warmup:

Gentle jog for about 5 minutes, then shuffle to start line.
Run
  • 1h 49m 8s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Extremely cold! Under-dressed in just vest and shorts. Aimed to start slow and maintain steady pace until mile 10, then speed up if I could. Did first mile fast, then gradually slowed and slowed and slowed up until mile 6, but not too worried as had settled into good rythym. Had first gel at mile 6. Missed marker for mile 7 and had inexplicably made up time on steep-ish climb up to mile 8. Carried on climbing up to mile 10, making up even more time but suspecting mile markers were out. Felt good at mile 10 so decided I would try to speed up for last part. Also decided against taking second gel. Pace a bit uneven as I slowed down when I lost concentration and then had to speed up again to catch up; ran hard towards line. Pleased with time (new PB!) and felt good throughout run. Also felt that run was easier than previous half marathon, with no real tiredness in legs. (Time = official time; took 35 seconds to cross start line.)
What would you do differently?:

Have worn another shirt under vest and/or gloves. Extremely cold towards end!
Post race
Warm down:

Gentle jog to bag collection area. Stretched whilst putting on warm clothes and whilst waiting for 'bus back to train station.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing was a bit out, and might have been slightly better with more clothing on.

Event comments:

Difficult to get to but otherwise excellent race.

Last updated: 2004-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:08 | 13.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/131
Overall: 575/1076
Performance: Good
Course: Mildly undulating one lap course around pretty countryside. Roads not closed but there was limited traffic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes