General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low/No Impact running in the pool... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-25 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Low/No Impact running in the pool...
So, this new pool I'm going to has a seriously shallow shallow end (something like 3.5 feet in the shallowest part), so I can only do deep water jogging in a small area of the pool...which will make the workouts intensely boring (yeah, an hour and a half of tiny 12 feet lengths). Was considering doing the jogging in the shallow end, too and just run back and forth in the lanes, but that sorta defeats the purpose of the "no impact" running, right? (Recovering from an inflamed tendon in the left foot).

Since it's still in water, even running while touching the bottom of the pool, the impact can't be THAT bad...right?

Option 1: run back and forth in a small section of the deep end of the pool.
Option 2: run back and forth in the entire lane, and do half of it with SOME impact on the foot.

What to do, what to do...

2008-03-25 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1291673

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Low/No Impact running in the pool...

While injured, I was told, "If you're going to do shallow-water running, you might as well be running outside." You're going to have to push off the ground as well. Given your injury and what that tendon is used for, I'd say you probably shouldn't be shallow-water running. But I don't know much...

I'm sorry youre confined to such a small area of the pool. I actually use the deep end of 5 lanes (no ropes up) when I run; hence the reason I run at 6 a.m. (when the pool opens) on weekends. It's not that I love waking up 5:30 on Saturday mornings. Grr. I feel your pain, I know how frustrating that small area can be .

2008-03-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1291673

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Subject: RE: Low/No Impact running in the pool...
Actually, running in the shallow end IS less impact than running outside. But it is still more impact than deep water running. I'm not familiar with your particular injury, so maybe check with your doc. Or see what you can tolerate without aggravating it.

I have a persistent knee injury and when it is at its worst, I run only in the deep end while wearing a flotation belt around my waist. When I can tolerate it, I run from the shallow end to the deep end and back/forth while wearing the belt, but also wearing pool running shoes so that I have proper foot support (and also keeps the bottom of my tootsies from getting torn up).

Hope this helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low/No Impact running in the pool... Rss Feed