Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-26 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Aerospoke Wheels...

I've had the good fortune to have TV station WCSN, which has been showing track cycling as of late...and at the world championships, almost every rider had one, if not both wheels, that are Aerospokes - a hand-built, carbon composite 5 spoke wheel.

The wheels are supposedly bombproof, and great for bigger riders. And about $600 for the set. And never require truing.  The only minus I could detect is that they're a little heavier than some other wheelsets - like 300g, so they wouldn't be optimal for the weight weenie or climbing crowd.

So I'd be curious to get anyone's thoughts on 1) Why are more triathletes not riding aerospokes, especially for training, given their durability?  I've seen thousands of bikes at tris and online, and only recall seeing a single Aerospoke (word, kenny).  It seems to me that they'd be awesome for heavier riders, places with lousy roads, and a good value,  and 2) Why would the track cycling elite ride Aerospokes, vs. Hed3's or zipps or some other aero wheel?  What gives?

2008-03-26 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1295674

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Aerospoke Wheels...
My guess is because they are not as aero.  I don't know much about them specifically, but I think there is some info showing that most attempts at the spoked-wheel design are actually pretty bad from an aero perspective.  Hed3s are probably the best-designed spoke-wheel out there and are also considered 'bombproof'. 
2008-03-26 3:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-26 3:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
I used to be the INternational Sales Manager for Aerospoke and worked for their President Ed Giroux, who is a very nice fellow and a fine athlete. He was a good man to work for and I learned a great deal from him.

Aerospokes are impressively durable. They are also impeccably made. Ed's first business is Giroux Precision, a precision mold maker. As such, the molds that produce the Aerospoke wheel are meticulously made there at Aerospoke in Milford, Michigan. The wheels are a bit heavier, but the weight is worth it as the small increase in weight basically returns nearly double the durability as a standard 36 spoke cross three wheel.

As such Aerospokes are known for their impressive durability and popular among Clydesdale athletes, obscure military applications and any application where an ultra-durable, precisely made high performance wheel is dictated.

Track riders sometimes favor Aerospokes because they do have incredible strength, good durability and the additonal weight may provide somewhat of an advantage coming down of the banking to start a flying 200.

One thing we haven't seen too much from Aerospoke has been active marketing. Ed's primary business is Giroux Precision. When I worked for Ed we placed ads in Triathlete magazine and Triathlon magazine (now defunct) and actively marketed. As a result we did pretty good alongside other wheel brands. Aeropokes are a little heavier than some comparable HED and Zipp models but much more durable.

In the current marketplace the primary motives that drive wheel sales at the consumer level are appearance of the wheel, perceived aeordynamics and wheel weight- pretty much in that order. For whatever reason, consumers being fickle as they (we) are, Aerospoke never gained the traction that Zipp and HED enjoy among the triathlon consumer.

They are very nice wheels and Ed runs a fine operation. I know a few local athletes who ride them and like them. I would ride them in an instant, especially for any application that required increased durability above any other parameter.
2008-03-26 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1295733

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

"You don't have to slow down for sharp corners and then accelerate on a track like you do in a tri."

Actually, unless you're talking about the pursuit, just about all you DO on the track is accelerate... Which makes it all the more curious that they'd be using Aerospokes.

But yes, there have been some rather cosmetic-only attempts at composite wheels, Aerospoke being one of the more notable. Spin and Tri Spoke (these may have actually been the same wheels -- my hard drive is full these days) being others.

And just to add one more thing -- ALL composite molded wheels "do not need truing", by the simple fact that they CAN'T be trued.

2008-03-26 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1295733

Sensei
Sin City

I have a pair.....

Jeep and Johnny make good points.  Here is my take if you care to continue reading.....

First, they ARE very solid wheels (bombproof) and they are more aero than a standard training wheel.  They may also give some of the bigger name wheels a run (limited to some of the smaller rim depth versions like the 30, 40 and maybe even 50 mm depths).

They were also used for a track time world record (I seem to recall).

But these are HEAVY.  2lbs per wheel.  May not sound like much, but when you hold them compaired to a real race wheel, the difference is sickening.  I can actually feel the weight of them when trying to accelerate on the bike.  But the interesting thing is, when you get them going, they really want to keep going.  I can feel them kind of "pulling" me up the first couple hundred feet of a hill if I hit it going at any decent speed.

So, if you can get the same aero characteristics but be a total of 4 lbs less, everyone will most likely use the lighter wheels IMO.

SO, my quick summary - I like to train on them a lot.  They are somewhat aero, I get tons of compliments by the general public (those not into biking), they look pretty cool, plus when I switch to my 30mm wheels for a race, the bike just feel lighter and faster.

On the down side, 600 bucks for a set of training wheels is a little expensive, as I would not choose to use the Aerospokes in a race unless it's flat and pretty straight.  I'm probably going to get a set of Flashpoint 80's for a less expensive race wheel set.  OR a HED 3 front and a disk/disk wheel cover for the back.

PM me if you have any other questions - but I think I said enough....

2008-03-26 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1295791

Sensei
Sin City

Thomas Demerly - 2008-03-26 1:58 PM I used to be the INternational Sales Manager for Aerospoke and worked for their President Ed Giroux, who is a very nice fellow and a fine athlete. He was a good man to work for and I learned a great deal from him. Aerospokes are impressively durable. They are also impeccably made. Ed's first business is Giroux Precision, a precision mold maker. As such, the molds that produce the Aerospoke wheel are meticulously made there at Aerospoke in Milford, Michigan. The wheels are a bit heavier, but the weight is worth it as the small increase in weight basically returns nearly double the durability as a standard 36 spoke cross three wheel. As such Aerospokes are known for their impressive durability and popular among Clydesdale athletes, obscure military applications and any application where an ultra-durable, precisely made high performance wheel is dictated. Track riders sometimes favor Aerospokes because they do have incredible strength, good durability and the additonal weight may provide somewhat of an advantage coming down of the banking to start a flying 200. One thing we haven't seen too much from Aerospoke has been active marketing. Ed's primary business is Giroux Precision. When I worked for Ed we placed ads in Triathlete magazine and Triathlon magazine (now defunct) and actively marketed. As a result we did pretty good alongside other wheel brands. Aeropokes are a little heavier than some comparable HED and Zipp models but much more durable. In the current marketplace the primary motives that drive wheel sales at the consumer level are appearance of the wheel, perceived aeordynamics and wheel weight- pretty much in that order. For whatever reason, consumers being fickle as they (we) are, Aerospoke never gained the traction that Zipp and HED enjoy among the triathlon consumer. They are very nice wheels and Ed runs a fine operation. I know a few local athletes who ride them and like them. I would ride them in an instant, especially for any application that required increased durability above any other parameter.

Thanks Demerly! You just made my day!  I always had a little bit of buyer's remorse of those wheels but never totaly regretted the choice.  (but they are still on my bike!).  Your testimony makes me feel lots better about spending the money.  Thanks again!

BTW - I forgot to mention that I was/am a clydesdale which helped my make the initial choice.  Started at 256# and down to 226# now.

Thomas also made me remember that their service was great.  They were on backorder and they worked with me to get me a set quikly.  They quoted around 6 weeks for delivery, and then able to surprise me about 3 week later with a new set of wheels at my front door.  I felt like they really cared about getting me a good set of wheels and not just another number.....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-03-26 4:13 PM
2008-03-26 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1295799

Sensei
Sin City
briderdt - 2008-03-26 2:00 PM

"You don't have to slow down for sharp corners and then accelerate on a track like you do in a tri."

Actually, unless you're talking about the pursuit, just about all you DO on the track is accelerate... Which makes it all the more curious that they'd be using Aerospokes.

But yes, there have been some rather cosmetic-only attempts at composite wheels, Aerospoke being one of the more notable. Spin and Tri Spoke (these may have actually been the same wheels -- my hard drive is full these days) being others.

And just to add one more thing -- ALL composite molded wheels "do not need truing", by the simple fact that they CAN'T be trued.

I know I have made more than 50% of the posts on this....

So true with this statment.  Probably like all composite wheels, Aerospoke tells you NOT to put weight on these wheels for a long period of time or in high heat.  What that means is not to lay them on their side and have a heavey object on them in the heat.  It can push the hub to one side and make them permantly "untrue".

I hang mine or lean them against a wall in the garage when not in use.

2008-03-26 8:26 PM

Champion
Gold member

Ok, the weight difference is about 1kg  for the pair, including hubs, compared to 404's.  That's 2.2 lbs, a lot if you're climbing, but not a lot if it's flat or you're training.  

Let me throw more stuff out there...

First, I can't imagine the number of threads we've had on BT asking for a solid training wheel, or a training wheel that will accommodate a clyde without issue. The aerospokes accommodate the sexy factor, the durability factor, and the aero factor quite nicely (i think).  Soooo...lessee. You can drop 1500 bucks on Hed 3's, or 600 bucks on aerospokes. Or, as I just did, you can drop 400 bucks on a set of mavic aksiums (or neuvations, take your pick), and with an additional 200 clams, get a sexier wheel that won't require maintenance (truing), without worrying about a spoke breaking. It just beckons the question as to why aerospoke doen't occupy the 'value' niche in aero wheels.

Second, and I'm still at a loss for this one, if the wheels are (as the feedback has indicated) not truly aero, and way too heavy for efficient riding, why do the track cyclists (that spend an immense amount of time in the wind tunnel and worry about acceleration) ride them?

And yes, to Akidoman, the 24 hour drafting record is held by marko baloh and jure robic, they held 44kph for 24 hours. 

2008-03-26 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1296392

Sensei
Sin City
rkreuser - 2008-03-26 6:26 PM

Ok, the weight difference is about 1kg  for the pair, including hubs, compared to 404's.  That's 2.2 lbs, a lot if you're climbing, but not a lot if it's flat or you're training.  

Let me throw more stuff out there...

First, I can't imagine the number of threads we've had on BT asking for a solid training wheel, or a training wheel that will accommodate a clyde without issue. The aerospokes accommodate the sexy factor, the durability factor, and the aero factor quite nicely (i think).  Soooo...lessee. You can drop 1500 bucks on Hed 3's, or 600 bucks on aerospokes. Or, as I just did, you can drop 400 bucks on a set of mavic aksiums (or neuvations, take your pick), and with an additional 200 clams, get a sexier wheel that won't require maintenance (truing), without worrying about a spoke breaking. It just beckons the question as to why aerospoke doen't occupy the 'value' niche in aero wheels.

Second, and I'm still at a loss for this one, if the wheels are (as the feedback has indicated) not truly aero, and way too heavy for efficient riding, why do the track cyclists (that spend an immense amount of time in the wind tunnel and worry about acceleration) ride them?

And yes, to Akidoman, the 24 hour drafting record is held by marko baloh and jure robic, they held 44kph for 24 hours. 

I hope you are not directing that question at me!  I got a pair! (and wheels too!   ).  I think I was going through the same thought process as you a year ago and ended up with a set.  I think it was mentioned above, but marketing is non existant for these wheels and they are not in the mainstream.  Plus there are tons of weight weenies out there that would scoff at them.  Maybe just puts them in a bad light, undeservidly maybe......

2008-03-26 10:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX (Valley Ranch area)
Side note ...
I ran Aerospokes on a tandem that I owned a few years ago. They were stiff, bomb-proof, heavy ... but plenty fast. I can't say that I would run them on my tri bike today (a bit too heavy for my taste), but they might be perfect for a clydesdale.

2008-03-27 6:17 AM

Giver

From the "bomb-proof training wheel" perspective, how comfortable are they to ride? Demerly through in a comparison to 3-cross, 32 spoke wheels (I think), but those are probably the most comfortable to ride, as the spokes provide a degree of suspension, if you will, or at least dampening. I've ridden HED 3s, and the thing that I've noticed is that they are pretty darn vertically stiff, transmitting all rode imperfections right to my hands and .

So, for those of you that ride Aerospokes for training, how comfortable are they? Cause, for a training wheel, that seems like a pretty important factor.

2008-03-27 6:18 AM
in reply to: #1296392

Giver
rkreuser - 2008-03-26 9:26 PM

For a motorpaced event on the track, aerodynamics would play little or no role, and actually, a lot of weight in the wheels would actually probabably be a pretty good thing.

Edited by run4yrlif 2008-03-27 6:19 AM
2008-03-27 9:23 AM

Champion
Gold member

Allright, I did a little more research...and it turns out that most track cyclists USED to run Aerospokes, but they're running a distant cousin now, the Mavic IO. Mavic IO's are 750g front, and 980g rear, significantly lighter than the Aerospokes.  Still 5-spoked, and very stiff. Apparently they were designed for the Atlanta Olympics, and the front wheel ALONE is $2300.

Which kinda brings up a new question....if the Mavic IO is so aero and reasonably light, why do we not see it more prevalently in non-track racing? Surely there are situations where you have to have super stiff, bombproof, and aero wheels where you're willing to sacrifice ride quality (thinking TDF time trial, etc).....

And I think I'm satisfied with the reasoning behind why triathletes aren't riding aerospokes in races...combination of aerodynamics, weight, and lack of marketing. But why more folks aren't riding them for training is still up for grabs...maybe it is ride quality (good point, jim), as carbon wheels are stiff....but curious to get others' opinions....

2008-03-27 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1297071

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
The IO is reputed to have superb aerodynamics at low yaw angles but degrades rapidly at wider yaw angles.

The cost and supply are prohibitive, with Mavic only bringing in about a dozen IO's per year. Oddly enough, in 2006 we sold 2 for some reason. If you know Dave Koesel, the Road Bike Brand Manager for Felt Bicycles, he has an IO.

IO's are only tubular and the packaging with the wheel and decals on the wheel read: "Not for use on road- Track use only."

The IO is named after Juptier's largest moon, IO, made up predominantly of frozen gas, in case you wondered.

Jan Ullrich had mixed results using the IO in time trials in the Tour de France. His mechanics thought that wheel may have contributed to the famous time trial crash during the duel between him and Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France outside Nantes on a rainy day. Ullrich crashed in a traffic roundabout that Armstrong managed to negotiate with little trouble. Anything could have cuased the crash, and we'll likely never know the real reason, but Ullrich's own entourage suggested the IO wheel was not a good choice for that day in adverse weather.
2008-03-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1297096

Sensei
Sin City

Thomas Demerly - 2008-03-27 7:35 AM The IO is reputed to have superb aerodynamics at low yaw angles but degrades rapidly at wider yaw angles. The cost and supply are prohibitive, with Mavic only bringing in about a dozen IO's per year. Oddly enough, in 2006 we sold 2 for some reason. If you know Dave Koesel, the Road Bike Brand Manager for Felt Bicycles, he has an IO. IO's are only tubular and the packaging with the wheel and decals on the wheel read: "Not for use on road- Track use only." The IO is named after Juptier's largest moon, IO, made up predominantly of frozen gas, in case you wondered. Jan Ullrich had mixed results using the IO in time trials in the Tour de France. His mechanics thought that wheel may have contributed to the famous time trial crash during the duel between him and Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France outside Nantes on a rainy day. Ullrich crashed in a traffic roundabout that Armstrong managed to negotiate with little trouble. Anything could have cuased the crash, and we'll likely never know the real reason, but Ullrich's own entourage suggested the IO wheel was not a good choice for that day in adverse weather.

Thomas,

I'm impressed with your wheel knowledge.....

No, this is NOT a man crush! 

2008-03-27 10:04 AM

Master
Alpharetta, GA

*hijack about to take place* (but in the spirit of the discussion)...seeing the subject got me to thinking about something (Active Spokes) I read on Joe Friel's blog earlier this year:

http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/01/active-spokes.html

He posted a f/u article here:

http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/02/more-on-active-spokes.html

FYI...these are USAT legal...

http://www.activespoke.com/index.html

Anybody have any thoughts/personal experience with Active Spokes?

2008-03-27 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1297152

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
For some reason I am a repository of utterly useless facts on a number of largely unimportant topics.

It's a shame, if i knew something about anything that actually mattered I might be rich.

Your photo is horrific in that "Island of Dr. Moreau" kind of way.

Edited by Thomas Demerly 2008-03-27 10:13 AM
2008-03-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1297215

Sensei
Sin City

Thomas Demerly - 2008-03-27 8:13 AM For some reason I am a repository of utterly useless facts on a number of largely unimportant topics. It's a shame, if i knew something about anything that actually mattered I might be rich. Your photo is horrific in that "Island of Dr. Moreau" kind of way.

But memorable!  It is so funny.  I switch my avatar every now and then.  Every time I use my puppy photo, I get tons of comments (some are pretty funny and make me LOL).  No one says boo about the rest....

It creeps about 90% of the people out, but about 10% like it.  It make me laugh every time I see it.  There is a large version in my album if you care to look....

2008-03-27 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1297071

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I think both these wheels (Aerospoke & IO) may not be quite as aero as you think.  And may be more appropriate on a track than on the road (see good info from Tom).

As far as training, you can get a 'bombproof'-type wheel at much lower price point than $600 (a nicely built Mavic Open Pro, for example).  And you CAN true them/rebuild them if someting happens.  That could be an advantage versus a disadvanatge.  And they are probably just a bit 'too unique' in both design & price to attract much attention (esp. with the noted lack of marketing).  Basically, I can't think of a single reason that I would consider these wheels for the type of riding that I do.  But that's just me....

2008-03-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1297294

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
JohnnyKay - 2008-03-27 11:37 AM

And they are probably just a bit 'too unique' in both design & price to attract much attention (esp. with the noted lack of marketing). 

Maybe true for purebred cyclists, but multisport athletes are a different breed that are quick to jump all over new technology and "unique" ideas.  Methinks the lack of marketing has everything to do with it - start throwing ads in the tri magazines again with reviews like Mr. Demerly's I'd bet they start flying off the shelves.  

2008-03-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1295791

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Thomas Demerly - 2008-03-26 4:58 PM ...As such Aerospokes are known for their impressive durability and popular among Clydesdale athletes, obscure military applications and any application where an ultra-durable, precisely made high performance wheel is dictated. 

Please, do tell

2008-03-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1297353

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sty - 2008-03-27 10:53 AM

And they are probably just a bit 'too unique' in both design & price to attract much attention (esp. with the noted lack of marketing). 

Maybe true for purebred cyclists, but multisport athletes are a different breed that are quick to jump all over new technology and "unique" ideas.  Methinks the lack of marketing has everything to do with it - start throwing ads in the tri magazines again with reviews like Mr. Demerly's I'd bet they start flying off the shelves.  

So you'd pay a premium for some unique training wheels that don't seem very appropriate for racing?  I don't think triathletes are THAT different. 

If they marketed them as aerodynamic race wheels (and assuming they were), then you might get some interest.

2008-03-27 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1297365

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
don't ask, don't tell.
2008-03-27 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1297447

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
JohnnyKay - 2008-03-27 12:25 PM
sty - 2008-03-27 10:53 AM

So you'd pay a premium for some unique training wheels that don't seem very appropriate for racing?  I don't think triathletes are THAT different. 

If they marketed them as aerodynamic race wheels (and assuming they were), then you might get some interest.

I was only commenting on the "too unique" comment.

I didn't say I'd be willing to pay a premium for training wheels; they do market them for racing as well so it would be much cheaper than having two sets of wheels. As for weight, a Hed disc weighs more than an Aerospoke and a Hed 3 is only a couple hundred grams lighter. A Zipp front, any Zipp, yes being lighter, will likely cost double and would be dedicated only to racing.

After reading the website and the testimonials, I do see these as a valid everyday training & racing wheel at a great pricepoint. I train and race only on pancacke-flat, straight courses, so this would be ideal, for the price.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerospoke Wheels... Rss Feed  

of 2