Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-27 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1297465

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: Aerospoke Wheels...

Thomas Demerly - 2008-03-27 12:31 PM don't ask, don't tell.

S'kay...read it on their website:

We got your wheels several years ago and have been using them aggressively on our main demonstrator bike as THE ideal state for a military bike.

Mike Sparks-  This soldier is part of an elite airborne team that is testing foldable mountain bikes that are strapped onto their backs and parachuted down with them. We would tell you more, but then we would have to kill you!

2008-03-27 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1297507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
OK, OK...

Let's talk hypotheticals here.

Suppose we have to insert a Long Range Surveillance Unit into a denied area. The Unit is tasked with establishing observation of several areas of interest including an MSR (Main supply Route), particularly the observation and surveillance of bridges under which an adversary could conceal MLP Telerectors (Mobile Launch Platform) for a tactical intermediate range ballistic missile (such as a SCUD SS-1 Al Hussein). Once the team establishes eyes-on an MLP, they utilize secure satelite communications to call in air assets to engage and render the target ineffective.

Now, this team may need to change their OP (Observation Post) several times quickly during the hours of darkness. As they do so, they need to carry with them the necessary equipment to dig a secure, stealthy OP in hard desert terrain to include dry sand, hard packed dirt, rocky wadi type terrain. So they need some excavating tools such as picks and shovels and some light construction materials such as camouflage netting, lightweight beams for roof support of their OP, etc. In addition to this they need the neccesary communications equipment, spare batteries, water and rations, weapons and ammunition. So, we are talking a lot of gear here. And remember, in the desert at night it gets darn cold, so we need our snivel gear.

Usually a team will insert using an MH-53E Pave Low or an MH-47E Chinook heavy helicopter. Once on the ground in the OA (Operational Area) they establish a PB or Patrol Base. The recon patrols eminate from the PB to establish the OPs.

Now, an enterprising young lad, be he a Navy SEAL, Army Special Forces, Army Ranger, Marine SOCDET One, LRSU (Longe Range Surveillance Unit) or Air Force Special Tactics member may not want to lug all this gear all over the desert at night and then commence to diggin' holes in an unfriendly area and then hiding in them before the sun comes up each day, potentially changing locations each night and having to conceal the previous OP. We're talking a lot of work here.

Perhaps if a young lad had a bicycle towing one of those little cargo trailers he may be able to cover more ground more easily in a shorter period of time. A few of these fellows, similarly equipped, could cover significant ground in a short time. The advantages are silent movement, no infra-red signature from engine heat, no need for fuel (except food).

It's an interesting idea... wouldn't you say? Of course, all fiction- just the stuff of Tom Clancy books.
2008-03-27 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1297503

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sty - 2008-03-27 11:47 AM

I was only commenting on the "too unique" comment.

I didn't say I'd be willing to pay a premium for training wheels; they do market them for racing as well so it would be much cheaper than having two sets of wheels. As for weight, a Hed disc weighs more than an Aerospoke and a Hed 3 is only a couple hundred grams lighter. A Zipp front, any Zipp, yes being lighter, will likely cost double and would be dedicated only to racing.

After reading the website and the testimonials, I do see these as a valid everyday training & racing wheel at a great pricepoint. I train and race only on pancacke-flat, straight courses, so this would be ideal, for the price.

The "too unique" was specific for choosing them as a training wheel alone. 

The Hed disc, Hed3 and Zipp wheels are all likely aerodynamically superior to the Aerospoke.  I don't care about its weight very much.  Its the aerodynamics that I question.

They might be perfect wheels if you also don't experience wind on your pancake-flat, straight courses.

Perhaps the aerodynamics of the wheel are better than I'm guessing.  But from what I've heard, few other than Hed have been able to achieve a competitively aerodynamic composite spoke wheel.  I'm postulating why you don't see more triathletes riding them--too expensive for training/not aerodynamic enough for racing.

2008-03-30 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1297565

User image

Master
Sachse
Thomas Demerly - 2008-03-27 12:09 PM

OK, OK...

Let's talk hypotheticals here.

Usually a team will insert using an MH-53E Pave Low or an MH-47E Chinook heavy helicopter. Once on the ground in the OA (Operational Area) they establish a PB or Patrol Base. The recon patrols eminate from the PB to establish the OPs.

Now, an enterprising young lad, be he a Navy SEAL, Army Special Forces, Army Ranger, Marine SOCDET One, LRSU (Longe Range Surveillance Unit) or Air Force Special Tactics member may not want to lug all this gear all over the desert at night and then commence to diggin' holes in an unfriendly area and then hiding in them before the sun comes up each day, potentially changing locations each night and having to conceal the previous OP. We're talking a lot of work here.

Perhaps if a young lad had a bicycle towing one of those little cargo trailers he may be able to cover more ground more easily in a shorter period of time. A few of these fellows, similarly equipped, could cover significant ground in a short time. The advantages are silent movement, no infra-red signature from engine heat, no need for fuel (except food).

It's an interesting idea... wouldn't you say? Of course, all fiction- just the stuff of Tom Clancy books.

lol.... I think it would be more fun to take the bike and trailer (well maybe not the trailer) off the ramp at 30k feet.. haha At least that would be the only time I would be able to get them moving fast!

Very interesting "fiction"..... I see some great uses.. I am just glad that wasn't one other thing added to my pack on jumps..

----- Now for the wheels... I just bought a set and only have 1.5 rides on them, so I can't tell you much. When I started looking at wheels, I found few that I liked, but I didn't fit within the weight limit. I wasn't willing to spend 2k plus on something that would taco on me, on a down hill... putting my pumpkin all over the road. My hard head may recover, but it would take me another lifetime to talk the wife into new wheels.. lol So, with that in mind, I checked out the aerospokes, but really didn't make a move, until talking with Doughboy. He bought a set and really liked them. That is when I decided to go ahead and give them a try.

Others are correct about their customer service. I sent them an email, they responded fast. I left them a message on the phone and again they responded quickly. The ordering process, took less than 5 minutes. He told me it would be 4-5 weeks before they shipped, but I had a tracking number in my email, within 3 weeks. The wheels arrived with no problems.

I noticed the weight difference as soon as I picked up the box. They are much heavier than my FSA wheels. This doesn't bother me much since I have a few extra pounds I need to drop myself.. lol

With the new tires and wheels mounted, I decided to take them on a short ride around the block...all went well. Next up was my first century ride... Although I don't have much to compare them to, I can tell you that they took my 240 lbs butt over some real crappy roads, with zero issues (none related to the wheels). They may be stiff, but again the overall ride seemed better than my lighter wheels. I could feel them more climbing the hills, but it wasn't too bad. (well, one of them was bad. lol). On the back side of those hills.... they were great... and on the flat sections they were great too. Overall, I am very happy with them. Check back with me at the end of the summer, I will have MANY more miles on them and I plan on using them at IMKY.

I also had two people come up and ask me about them, during the ride....... They liked how they look...... and so do I..

Kenny
2008-03-30 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1295674

User image

Master
Keller Tx

I bought them when I was over 300lbs, and have used them exclusively on my Cervelo for the last 7 months, and my road bike for a year before that.  I bought them for their reliabilty, but after having riden a spoked std wheel, and this wheel, I thoroughly believe these are faster on a flat and once its up to speed, its easier to keep there.  I've got 2500 or so miles on them now.  I think one thing that is getting missed here is that these wheels are $600 for a set, not per wheel as it sounds like some are thinking.  I knew I wasn't getting zipps, or Hed 3's, but I spent less than 1/2 the price, but I do know that these wheels do provide some aero benefits.

There was also a question about the ride quality.  They are more harsh than a spoked wheel, but the difference is not as big as you may think.

They will carry me 112 miles in 2 weeks, after a little swim, and just before a little run..  They'll be dealing with the AZ wind, so i'll let you know how they handle it.  Living in NoTx, we always have wind, but not usually to the extent that IMAZ has.

Edited by Doughboy 2008-03-30 9:47 PM
2008-03-30 10:24 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I thought about aerospoke wheels and I even thought about it again only trouble is I am campy on my tri bike and aero spoke is campy unfriendly.

2008-04-28 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1303658

Doughboy - 2008-03-30 9:40 PM

I bought them when I was over 300lbs, and have used them exclusively on my Cervelo for the last 7 months, and my road bike for a year before that. I bought them for their reliabilty, but after having riden a spoked std wheel, and this wheel, I thoroughly believe these are faster on a flat and once its up to speed, its easier to keep there. I've got 2500 or so miles on them now. I think one thing that is getting missed here is that these wheels are $600 for a set, not per wheel as it sounds like some are thinking. I knew I wasn't getting zipps, or Hed 3's, but I spent less than 1/2 the price, but I do know that these wheels do provide some aero benefits.

There was also a question about the ride quality. They are more harsh than a spoked wheel, but the difference is not as big as you may think.

They will carry me 112 miles in 2 weeks, after a little swim, and just before a little run.. They'll be dealing with the AZ wind, so i'll let you know how they handle it. Living in NoTx, we always have wind, but not usually to the extent that IMAZ has.

How did the wheel hold up for you DB?

2008-04-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1366137

User image

Master
Keller Tx
DonQuix - 2008-04-28 9:48 AM
Doughboy - 2008-03-30 9:40 PM

I bought them when I was over 300lbs, and have used them exclusively on my Cervelo for the last 7 months, and my road bike for a year before that. I bought them for their reliabilty, but after having riden a spoked std wheel, and this wheel, I thoroughly believe these are faster on a flat and once its up to speed, its easier to keep there. I've got 2500 or so miles on them now. I think one thing that is getting missed here is that these wheels are $600 for a set, not per wheel as it sounds like some are thinking. I knew I wasn't getting zipps, or Hed 3's, but I spent less than 1/2 the price, but I do know that these wheels do provide some aero benefits.

There was also a question about the ride quality. They are more harsh than a spoked wheel, but the difference is not as big as you may think.

They will carry me 112 miles in 2 weeks, after a little swim, and just before a little run.. They'll be dealing with the AZ wind, so i'll let you know how they handle it. Living in NoTx, we always have wind, but not usually to the extent that IMAZ has.

How did the wheel hold up for you DB?

The wheels did just fine....the tubes however did not.  Only made to 50miles into the ride before the 3rd flat took me out.  I actually borrowed Aarons HED3 front on race day.  I did ride both Aerospokes up the Beeline on Friday with no issues

2008-04-28 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1366377

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Thanks Ten and BD,

Thanks again for your reviews!  I also own a set - don't have all the nice pics though!  I need a nicer bike to put them on now!  But, I like the wheels a lot. 

Just another update - I had a rear hub problem recently.  They were SUPER helpfull.  Told me how to get the hub out and were going to repair/replace the hub for me since it was still under a year old.  Ended up, when I took the hub out and decided to take it apart to see if I can determine the problem (I'm decent at wrenching) I heard a little "click" and something went back into place and the hub is working like new again.  Never needed to send it back in.  However, I told them if the problem comes back I would be sending it to them.  "no problem" they said.

I plan to race AND train on mine from this point forward unless I get something specifically for racing now that I'm a lot lighter than I used to be (around 220 from 257).

2008-04-28 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1303542

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Ten9T6 - 2008-03-30 7:10 PM

Nice bike BTW.  The wheel and tires look really nice.  Yellow is my race color or choice too!  There is some nice camo (black/grey/yellow) bar tape by profile design that could look tight on your bike if you interested.  The red works well with the decals and break levers though!  Nice set-up.....

2010-08-24 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1303542

that looks sexy.

I have a Griffen Vulcan too, but my Softride gets the Aerospoke (it gets a lot of compliments and stares from bikers and non bikers)

2014-09-06 5:53 AM

BEWARE of Aerospoke Co... Don't support a business backed by poor customer support and bad practices. They sent me the wrong wheel set and screwed me for return shipping... Jerry assured me he'd send me a return label then went silent. My creditor said there's nothing they could do to force the merchant to provide return shipping and they couldn't help me until I returned the wheels. The creditor said many merchants know this and stall until the creditor dispute window expires. Then you're screwed...
Thanks Jerry. YOU cost me $106 to ship wheels back that you acknowledged should have never been shipped to me in the first place.
CRIMINAL!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerospoke Wheels... Rss Feed  

of 2