General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Question: Breathing every 2 strokes or Alternate Breathing every 3? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-14 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Swimming Question: Breathing every 2 strokes or Alternate Breathing every 3?

I have been reading up on Tri-Books and DVDs about swimming and have some general questions. I understand why alternate side breathing can be important during the Tri-races b/c of water chop, other swimmers, etc. I have been practicing my swimming technique to learn to breathe on the right side but I still breathe more easily on my left side. I have been trying to breathe every 3 strokes (alternating side breathing) but this significantly slows down my speed and I just don't feel as efficient with my speed.

So question is: Should I continue working on alternate side breathing but still do the crux of my workout with my breathing every 2 strokes? Do any of you breathe every four strokes? My primary purpose is to swim faster and more efficiently and I'm much more comfortable right now with breathing every 2 strokes and feel that I can go faster every 2 strokes if I continue to work on my swimming technique. Any suggestions welcome!

2004-12-14 10:01 PM
in reply to: #92604

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Swimming Question: Breathing every 2 strokes or Alternate Breathing every 3?
my suggestion is to learn to breathe on both sides equally well...I'm sure there are some drills for this. it's efficient and will come in handy when racing...
2004-12-14 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Swimming Question: Breathing every 2 strokes or Alternate Breathing every 3?
I had A LOT of trouble breathing to the right, and then like the rest it just sort of clicked and now it's about the same as the left. Still not ultra-smooth, but I no longer find myself favoring one side and I breathe every three for my training swims. Keep at it. It'll work itself out. You'll just hit it perfectly a few times and then you'll recognize that you've got it right and build it into your stroke like it was always there. It feels GREAT when you finally get it.
2004-12-14 10:23 PM

New user

Reno, NV
From what I have read and heard breathing every 3 stokes is ok if you are swimming long and slow but if you are trying to swim fast you will need to breath every 2 strokes. More oxygen=more speed. I spent a long time braking the habit of swimming every 3 strokes but now that I have I am faster.

Wendy
2004-12-14 10:29 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I am learning to breathe on my weaker side because it's been highly recommended from people on this site as well as the materials that I've read that I learn. Like you, my weaker side (left) slows me down. I tend to lift my head and my hips drop.

Here's what I do. In races, I breathe to my right. In training, I work on my weaker side when doing endurance workouts; when doing speed drills then I breathe on my stronger side. You can check out my swim workouts these past two days to get ideas. I do breathe every four during my warm-up and cool down, particularly. I have also done drills that involve breathing every five (alternating sides).

I'd encourage you to keep learning. We can encourage each other in this process. Stick with it!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Question: Breathing every 2 strokes or Alternate Breathing every 3? Rss Feed