General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm doing this for me! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-27 10:55 PM

Subject: I'm doing this for me!
I’m introducing myself. It’s official…I’m official. No longer lurking. SIGH. Am I really doing this? Talking to a ton of people I don’t know? YES, YES I am.

I’m here to say (hold on, fell off my soap box…ok back up) I am going to do a triathlon. I am going to do something for myself with out the support of a good friend. Right there by my side Without tagging along to a boyfriends passion. I’m going to find support within myself and outside my comfort zone (comfort zone=friends, couch n’ food. Outside of comfort zone = BT). I am doing this because I want to ?

Two weeks ago I started a BT training plan. I failed miserably! I’ve spent the last few days on a biz trip thinking about what happened. The truth is I’m 28 and I’ve NEVER done anything alone. How sad is that! Well, I knew this to begin with. So I picked Triathlons. They have seemed so intriguing for years. Pushing myself, getting better and better. Becoming fit, strong, healthy and confident in the process. The hard part for me isn’t the exercise. It’s the mental hurdle of going out there by myself to train. Alone is a scary thought. I had no clue the power it had over me until these last 2 weeks. But here I am. I am going to start again. GOOOOOOOOOOOO MEEEEEEE!

This all may seem very “high school” to everyone. But hey, it’s my issue. I’m saying it out loud (kinda) and it feels good!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot…Hi

2008-03-27 11:27 PM
in reply to: #1298937

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: I'm doing this for me!

Hi - welcome to BT!!! Sounds like you have plenty of motivation to get you started!!!

Dont think you are FAILING - we all miss workouts, or struggle when travelling or sometimes life gets in the way but yuo just brush yourself off and get back to it... its what you do 'most' of the time that makes a difference and YOU can do it!

A few missed days will not negate what you do the rest of the time so just persevere, be flexible nad most of all.... have fun! And hopefully you wont do it all alone... look at your pool, your gym or join a tri club and you will meet other people with similar goals and attitudes that will be a part of your journey... your journey that is all about YOU!

Enjoy the journey

Cat

2008-03-28 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
Glad to have you
2008-03-28 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Go You!

I think it's wonderful that you have identified this psychological challenge for yourself.  

In the the end, our motivation must always come from within ourselves.

Eventually, your solo workouts may become your favorite part of the day.

By the way.  Two weeks in, you didn't fail."  You identified a problem, identified a solution, and reworked your goals accordingly.  That doesn't sound like failure to me. It sounds like the path to success.

Cheers

2008-03-28 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Welcome to BT and the world of Tri's.  The best of luck to you and this is really so much fun.  You picked a wonderful sport to get involved in.
2008-03-28 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1299446

User image

Master
welcome.  start using the training logs here to record what you do accomplish - it's validating to see the (albeit small for me just yet) yards and miles add up...

2008-03-28 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

There is no way to fail at doing triathlons, or training. As long as you keep thinking positively about what your goal is, you are always a success. (Even if you miss a day or two, or ten, of training -- just don't give up).

Training alone is tough, but that's what we are all for. BT keeps you accountable, it keeps you motivate, and it sure as hell kicks your when you need it.

Remember, every day you work out you: get stronger, go farther, mentally prepare yourself more, and are a day ahead over not starting. So get out there!

Welcome to the club, speak with some of the elder members for your monogrammed speedo, and to learn the secret handshake. 

2008-03-29 4:25 PM

I can't really find the words...I'm blown away. People read what I wrote and are supporting me! You are all right. I didn't FAIL. I learned! And today I picked myself back up and started again.

Thank you for caring. Thank you for the support.
Thank you for understanding

2008-04-03 11:18 AM

User image

Expert

So how's it going? I noticed you don't have your logs set to public so people can't go in and check on you. I'd recommend doing that.

Welcome out here and I wish you good luck!

2008-04-03 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Welcome!

I did my first tri last October (my next one is May 5). And as I crossed the finish line on my first go, I swelled up with tears. It's such a wonderful feeling to find the strength within yourself, and accomplish something like this thru your own hard work.

I'm cheering you on, hoping you stick with it...you'll love the payoff!

I tried to go check your logs, but you don't have them turned on for public viewing. You should turn it on! Keeps you honest! And then folks can check in on you and leave little inspiring messages for you! (Like from elheffe99! He's cheered me on my whole first year here!)

Either way, good luck!

Edited by newbiedana 2008-04-03 1:51 PM
2008-04-03 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Your not alone.  There are thousands of us out there that face what you face every day.  I know what you meant but I want you to know that your not alone.  Everyone on this site feels the drive, need and desire to push ourselves out of the box.  We also have felt the desire to curl up and stay in the box (especially at 4:30am ).

Your going to be a triathlete!!! Welcome.

2008-04-15 8:18 PM

Honestly, it’s not going so well. I just can’t keep up the motivation for more that a few days. I actually felt embarrassed to sign on. Almost as if I gave a promise and I’m not following thru. Not like I failed. Different. I’ve been better well in the last couple days. I adopted a puppy which gets me outside every hour. It seems to be giving me motivation to HAVE to move. Depression and self pity just aren’t an option. I didn’t adopt the puppy for this purpose, but I’m glad he’s helping out ? I can’t wait ‘till he is old enough to go on runs, that will be GREAT!

Regarding my log…I’m not doing much. Again embarrassed. I really need to get over this “what people think” or I think it’s closer to living up to others great accomplishments. I feel like the world is full of super hero’s and over night athletes and I’m just mediocre.

WOW! Writing this mad me feel better. It’s amazing what can come out when I really think about WHY I do things.

Thank you for your support. It means a ton, really!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm doing this for me! Rss Feed