TBF Racing
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 55m 7s
Overall Rank = 50/55
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/13
Pre-race routine:

Shave, shower, breakfast. Glared at KCRA Weather on TV because... rain. This was my first ever trail race and not an "A" race on the calendar, in lieu of running 10 miles on the river trail on a Saturday, I thought "why not do a trail race/run and see how it goes?" Made coffee for The Blonde and woke her up, then jumped around the living room yelping a bit after Phantom jumped off the couch and landed on my bare foot and left claw marks as she went on a psycho cat dash to the back bedroom...
Event warmup:

Its a 10 mile trail run. I actually saw the More Hardcore - you know, people who look super fit, confident, the wiry runner look - running around the parking lot at the race site. There was also an XTerra sprint triathlon going on at the same time, and I got there in time to see the first swimmer - a 17 year old girl that hopped in Folsom Lake sans wetsuit! - run to transition to hop on her mountain bike. In the rain. Checked to see how many folks were insane - er entered for a 10 mile run in over rocks and mud and in the woods on a crummy Saturday morning, weatherwise. It had been raining all night so I was expecting mud everywhere. Which didn't worry me so much other than the falling on my ass aspect and busting my head open, or breaking a bone, neither of which would be Good Things.

Oh, and The Blonde kept telling me on the way, as she was jockstrapping (translated - sitting in her car, drinking coffee and reading the Sunday paper, dry and warm) that "poison oak LOVES this kind of weather. Warm, wet, it makes it happy to grow and its going to be EVERYWHERE up here."
Run
  • 1h 55m 7s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this with ZERO expectations. Every time I've tried a new type of race, I've sucked eggs, so I put this on the schedule to a) try trail running b) do a long weekend run in a different venue, but as a training run, so no time pressures and c) have fun.

This is a totally different kind of running that requires a different muscle set/training than running on the road or a packed, dry trail. Its a constant challenge (unless you've run the course several times in practice) of trying to run as fast as possible without a) blowing up b) falling on your ass and c) not getting distracted by the beauty of nature, which will inevitably lead to b) happening. A lot.

As usual, TBF events are rather casual, and the run started a few minutes early once the XTerra tri runners were off of the part of the course that we were using. The guy with the megaphone just asked us to gather up and said "GO!" I'm guessing we had somewhere around 60 runners in the field; there were 46 (including me) that had preregistered.

The first 3 miles were pretty tough, as mentally, I simply didn't know what to expect. There was a lot of climbing up short, steep grades, which had liberal amounts of mud on them and made for interesting footing. I had a hell of a time getting my wind and getting into a rhythm in the first mile because it was just... hard. There's no other term to describe it, as I'm trying to gauge how hard I can go without burning myself up before I get even halfway finished.

I was feeling pretty good, though, once I got my breath and was thinking as I was winding through the woods "this isn't SO bad. So far, not a lot of rocks, its quiet" (it didn't take long for me to get dropped by the field and I ran by myself for most of the race)... then...

I entered the Lord of the Rings movie set. This big field of volcanic rocks that we did a big loop through. Up and down, up and down, and slippery well sharp rocks everywhere. I think I ran through all 3 movies at least 2x. At least that's what it felt like. It was really a cool setting to run in as I sarcastically thought that if I came upon an encampment of Orcs well, they could go ahead and chop me up as that would probably hurt less than running up some of the sides of the formations would hurt. I could see other runners on the course behind me and I yelled encouragement across the little valley as I went along.

I did walk at a few point in the run, when it was either really steep and slick, or when I'd get into a spot that just had too many sharp rocks to safely run though. I also paused to let a couple of faster runners through after Miles 4 and 5 as I didn't want to block anyone (the path was quite narrow in spots).

I was feeling really great about traversing the Field of Rocks and ran down to a low point that was just filled with water. I'd managed to keep my shoes relatively dry to that point, so I ran way to the right looking for dry ground. There was NONE of course, I sank up to my ankles in soft grass and colllllllld puddles, got back on the path, and promptly slipped after catching my right toe on a hidden rock, and went down on my palms. Didn't do a full-face plant, just a F***! and the woman who was behind me asked me if I was OK. I said "just my pride is injured", got up and kept going. Now I just nice icky sticky mud all over my hands and Timex Ironman. At least my shirt and shorts were (relatively dry).

At this point, the run climbed up into pretty dense woods and got kind of weird, as I encountered a couple of hikers with their dogs on the trails but no one else, although I did have the aforementioned female runner slightly behind me. At one point, there were enough twists and turns I was starting to think I was lost - the TBF race markers disappeared for what seemed like forever, but I came down a long hill and there they were, the 5 mile mark, and I'd been running a little less than an hour, which meant that unless the terrain got a lot tougher, that I'd finish up < 2:00 and that had been my goal. Under 2:00 finish, no broken bones, no twisted joints. Looked around to see if anyone was around and whizzed by the side of the trail, and resumed running.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention that I totally forgot to bring Gu with me, which was really stupid. I had it in my messenger bag and simply forgot to take some packets with me. I never felt nutritionally or energy challenged but it would have been nice to have some with me. Idiot.

But, the terrain got tougher again. More trail that went right over rocks that you had to gingerly step over, and eventually the blonde woman that was behind me got close enough I stepped aside and let her go. She was run walking - almost all run except for the uphills - but was quite tall and covering a lot more ground walking than I was. I knew that the course must have really twisted quite a bit as I could hear the TBF announcer off in the distance calling the XTerra finish after this point, which was Mile 7 and I just keep plugging along, knowing that at with me at 1:22 I'd make the two hour goal. I had hoped to keep it under 11:00 miles but that obviously wasn't going to happen, so I just kept going.

I do want to compliment TBF for the water tables. They had promised four but there were six on course (I think, that's how spacy I was getting. At one point in the woods, I was thinking I could've been on the set of Full Metal Jacket and I was fulling expecting guys in black pajamas to snatch me from the path). When I finally came out of the woods at close to the 8 mile mark, there were three women manning the water station and they gave me a big cheer... "YAY! You made it."

I stopped and drank a cup of water and a cup of Gatorade, taking my time because... I sure as hell wasn't going to win, podium, this was an exercise in survival and they were cute.

Me: "Thanks. I'm probably pretty dirty, its muddy back there."

Them: "Actually, you're cleaner than most of the people that have come through here."

Me: "That probably means I wasn't running fast enough to fall down often enough to get really dirty... anyway, this is just a training run for me anyway, I've never done a trail run before."

Them: "Oh really? What are you training for?"

Me (pausing): "I'm not quite sure."

Them: "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Me: "I did CIM in December, but this is harder than a marathon in a different way."

Them: "That's because you trained for a marathon, not a trail run."

Well, Doh :)

Anyway, after this it was flat trail + some road. They had several race photographers from James Pratt Photography there and I think the best one is going to be me running in the sand near the lake coming up a little hill just before the 8 mile marker. Last 2 miles weren't bad, and HA! I passed a guy I'd talked to before the race with about a half-mile left. He was probably in his early 30s... actually looked in decent shape, but he was walking and in pain.

Ran up to the finish and the TBF announcer calls my name "Here's #11, Scott "The MAN!" Carson" (I'm sure he was pretty bored as nearly everyone had finished by this point, although I'm guessing there were still 3-4 behind me), I pumped my fist, got my bottle of water, and staggered back to The Blonde's car after washing what mud I could off of myself at the water fountains that were in the parking lot.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmmm. Run more? I don't think more mileage would've helped. Probably doing some actually practice trails runs would have helped. I really enjoyed this, though, its a different kind of running... a good different.
Post race
Warm down:

The aforementioned washing off of the mud. I wiped off with a big beach towel, pried my shoes and socks off of my feet and put them in a big plastic bag for washing later. The Blonde and I drove to Carl's Jr and I stuffed down a #1 Famous Star and felt my body slowly cramping. I was sore - not in the beat up way from a marathon, but more muscle sore everywhere - from the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No trail run practice. Its that simple. I had the fitness, but not the experience doing this kind of race, but realistically, I think the best I could've done on this course if I knew what I was doing was a 10:00-10:30 mile. Its a whole different kind of fitness required.

Event comments:

A very nice introduction to trail running. I feel like this race was worth at least 10 Man Card points. I can't imagine how tough an XTerra race is, but I also encountered some MTBers and a guy on a cross bike out on the trails, and it looked like fun.

I'd definitely do this again, and in fact, I probably should've done the 3 race trail run series - 6 milers - that TBF runs in Feb-March at this race site.

Writing the race report the morning after the race, I can tell you one thing - I am SORE in new and unique places that I've never been after a race, but a trail race is a GREAT strength workout!

Last updated: 2008-01-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:07 | 10 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/13
Overall: 50/55
Performance: Good
Whenever my heart started really pounding away in my chest, I slowed down. Which happened a lot, because a trail race is about strength, particularly in trying to run up rocky paths covered with mud and water without killing your ass, OK?
Course: http://www.tbfracing.com/i/coursemaps/chanoko_championship_10mile_trail_run.pdf Probably not the toughest trail course around, but Folsom Lake is at the beginning of the Sierra foothills, lots of rocks, mud, meadows... plus on the way up to the race site, The Blonde kept cackling "Poison Oak *loves* this weather... wet, warm, it makes it happy, and there will be a TON of it up there."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 9:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-03-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1302396

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Chanoko 10 Mile Trail Run

a little mud breaks things in!!! now it will have that worn look....it's a good thing.

so are you going to do an xterra now? 

2008-03-30 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1302776

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-31 5:32 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congrats on trying something new! Sounds like you did great and had fun- the most important thing. I'm looking forward to trail running more next year, got to mix things up a bit!

I bet you will be sore. Whats next- maybe an Xterra event?

Well done! 

Edited by riorio 2008-03-31 5:33 PM
2008-03-31 5:43 PM

Melon Presser

You totally get Man Card points for this. See? Even the announcer said "The Man"

Great job poppin' the trail cherry--sounds like you had a good time and had a great run without blowing yourself up, since it was SUPPOSED to be a sweet, different kind of run.

2008-04-01 8:26 AM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Yep, you get some major man card points for that!  Not surprisingly, your RR was a great read... sounds like a fun, albeit challenging, day out there.  Nicely done.

2008-04-01 11:18 AM

Expert
Well done, Scott!

By the way, there's an xterra event near tahoe city in June. I just might do the sprint...
2008-04-01 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1307888

Champion
the colony texas
way to go after something different and new to you.. major props !!
2008-04-01 4:22 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job out there Scott

Trail running is definitely a whole different world. This course sounds very technical and as I recall from race reports from friends who did it last year that is a common sentiment.

You should talk to Enginerd and PoweredByFear. They live in your area and Trail Running is definitely in their bag of tricks. (They were both down here for Ironman California last weekend)

Very nice debut for this race format

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chanoko 10 Mile Trail Run Rss Feed