General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Following the leader...I had better, he followed me! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-04 11:57 PM

New user

Subject: Following the leader...I had better, he followed me!

I am, personally, a total newbie to triathlons - but I want to do a sprint this summer.  My problem has been finding the motivation to get started with training.  I would love to say that I just don't have the time, which is only partly true, but I know that if I made it a priority in my life, I would be well on my way.

Perhaps part of my problem with motivation comes from the fact that I have been totally eclipsed by my wonderful and loving husband!!!  It was a couple of years ago that I was way more active than he was and said, "Let's do a half-marathon together!".  He just kind of smirked and said, "How far is that?"  Well, since we finished our first half marathon, he has totally transformed himself and has done a couple full marathons, a couple of half-irons, and is now training hard for Ironman CDA.  Like I said, TOTALLY eclipsed me - I will never measure up - not that he makes me feel that way at all.  He is awesome - I just can't seem to get motivated

I am hoping that by posting here, I will have some peeps to encourage me and maybe just help me find the desire to get going...  so maybe this is my first step toward leaving behind fast-food and the couch!!!

2008-04-05 3:00 AM
in reply to: #1317349

New user

blackpool england
Subject: RE: Following the leader...I had better, he followed me!

hi there, i know what you mean i suffer with motivation too (one reason im trying tri) i found one way to help was bribe myself. set small targets... this week i will do 2hrs training (more if thats too easy) then when you have done buy yourself something you want. I usually buy new cycling socks or mitts or some other cheap little treat.   andy

2008-04-06 7:31 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Welcome aboard the BT bus to insanity!  This sport is addicting and a lot of fun.  Hang in there, pick a training plan and stick to the agenda
2008-04-06 10:04 PM

New user

I do need to get my plan dialed in.  My husband and I are going to pound one out tonight.  As I read some of the new posts from other beginners, I realize that I am blessed with having been around the triathlon scene for a while now and my husband has all the gear already. 

I have been meaning to invest in some cycling shoes (as I don't really need to be speedy in transistion - just want to finish).  After registering on this site and introducing myself - I went right out and got some new SIDI Zeta's :D  My husband, Scott handed down his one year old Trek 1500 to me when he got his new Felt B2 tri bike, so I am set for the bike... yea!!!!!  My plan is to put some time in on the trainer in the early morning.  Sounds like a comfy way to get started...

Thanks so much for your notes.... I can tell my mental focus is shifting already Cool

2008-04-07 5:45 AM
in reply to: #1319788

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
sparky04 - 2008-04-06 10:04 PM

I do need to get my plan dialed in.  My husband and I are going to pound one out tonight.  As I read some of the new posts from other beginners, I realize that I am blessed with having been around the triathlon scene for a while now and my husband has all the gear already. 

I have been meaning to invest in some cycling shoes (as I don't really need to be speedy in transistion - just want to finish).  After registering on this site and introducing myself - I went right out and got some new SIDI Zeta's :D  My husband, Scott handed down his one year old Trek 1500 to me when he got his new Felt B2 tri bike, so I am set for the bike... yea!!!!!  My plan is to put some time in on the trainer in the early morning.  Sounds like a comfy way to get started...

Thanks so much for your notes.... I can tell my mental focus is shifting already Cool

Is the Trek a good fit for you?  If it isn't you'll be mighty uncomfortable on that bike!
2008-04-07 9:36 AM

New user

Yes, the bike fits well as we are about the same height.  We did make some adjustments for my leg length and narrower shoulders, but luckily we are close enough that it all came down to some minor adjustments...

As I am more of a runner than a cyclist, I need to get some time in the saddle to just "break myself in" so to speak.  I will get there, just need to get moving!

2008-04-08 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

You want motivation? Go to your training log settings and make it public.  Continue posting here and there and you will find people going to your log, visiting and inspiring you...kinda like a bunch of friends looking over your shoulder...gentle motivation...it really works.

Signup for a sprint race now, that will hold you more accountable and then get on a sprint training plan.  Your husband knows the training scheduling so I'm sure he will be accommodating to help you get your workouts in.  He will be your number 1 supporter too it sounds like.

Good luck and welcome.

2008-04-26 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1322874

New user

So, I printed the classic 13 week sprint plan and have done great this week.  My numbers are higher than that prescribed, but by just getting off the couch I realized that I am not in as bad of shape as I had thought (judging cardiovascularly - not by looks...).  I have not yet signed up for the sprint, really need to do that!

One thing I am really happy about is my swim.  I have gotten two swim workouts in this week.  The first was bad - like my breathing was off and I just couldn't find a rhythm.  Today was great!  I finally feel like the swim leg is going to be ok.  I still have twelve weeks to improve, and I am able to calm myself down enough to remember to just relax and breath.  I am SO not a swimmer that this is HUGE for me.

In the end, this week I finally put myself as a priority in my schedule and got the training in.  That is an accomplishment in and of itself for me. 

2008-04-27 1:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
sparky04 - 2008-04-05 4:57 PM

I am, personally, a total newbie to triathlons - but I want to do a sprint this summer. My problem has been finding the motivation to get started with training...... but I know that if I made it a priority in my life, I would be well on my way.

There you go - if it's not a priority then it's not a priority. Is doing a tri REALLY that important to you? If so why? That should be your motivation. If not then find something else that pushes your buttons and you will be motivated to do.

(Sorry - not meaning to come across all harsh, just trying to make it clear

Gerrard 

2008-04-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1364203

New user

Thanks for the post...

Not taken as harsh, just a little ignorant of my situation is all.  Like many of us here on BT, life has a way of zapping motivation easily.  My initial posting centered on pushing TOWARD my first triathlon, not on what aspects of my life might be holding me back.  With four kids (one addict), a job, a husband training for IMCDA, a home remodel project, and volunteer projects, it isn't hard to find reasons to NOT put myself first.  Having a good training week reminded me that taking time for myself is not selfish - it is the healthiest thing I can do for all of us.

Found the motivation here at BT, made myself a priority and am much better for it!

Edited by sparky04 2008-04-27 12:14 PM
2008-04-27 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wow - I am amazed that you have any time for yourself at all! I've got 2 kids and not much of the other things you mentioned going on and sometimes it's a struggle for me. You are a bloody legend to still have the time to even think about triathlons with that kind of life!

You're right about taking time for yourself being healthy and not selfish. I was doing a course once where we had to prioritise things in our life. Most of us put family above ourselves except for one guy. He said "how can I truly be there for my family if I'm not looking after myself first". It made so much sense once someone said it.

So how about making training the first priority in your day rather than trying to fit it in after or around other things? If you and your husband can arrange it so you have time for some training first thing in the morning then normal life can resume after that, and it won't be such a struggle to make it happen at the end of the day.

Good luck.

Gerrard 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Following the leader...I had better, he followed me! Rss Feed