General Discussion Triathlon Talk » left calf???? recovery time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-07 6:14 AM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Subject: left calf???? recovery time
I have been back at training for about a month.

I on't run big races, and I have never done anything larger than 4k.

In the middle of an Aikido calss a week ago I got a pain in my left claf. (Pull?)

It tightened up and was uncomfortable to walk on for a few days. After about a week I could only feel hints of it on my tip toes when bearing weight.

I went for a my first light run today (7 days later) and it started hurting again 11 minutes into the run. I walked home from their.

QUESTIONS:

-Does this just sound like a pull?

-How long do you find injuries like this take to recover for an averag3 37 year old male? (was 1 week too short?)

2008-04-08 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1320021

User image

Regular
Ontario
Subject: RE: left calf???? recovery time
BUMP! any ideas

Invigilator - 2008-04-07 7:14 AM

I have been back at training for about a month.

I on't run big races, and I have never done anything larger than 4k.

In the middle of an Aikido calss a week ago I got a pain in my left claf. (Pull?)

It tightened up and was uncomfortable to walk on for a few days. After about a week I could only feel hints of it on my tip toes when bearing weight.

I went for a my first light run today (7 days later) and it started hurting again 11 minutes into the run. I walked home from their.

QUESTIONS:

-How long do you find injuries like this take to recover for an averag3 37 year old male? (was 1 week too short?)
2008-04-08 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
No idea...did it feel like a severe cramp maybe? I sometimes wake with horrible calf cramps and can't walk the entire next day (sometimes 2-3) when I get them. I'm now on Potassium supplements because a massage therapist told me I have massive lactic acid buildup in my calves and the muscles are no longer responding like they should. He said the potassium will help - here's hoping...
2008-04-08 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Howdy, I had something similar happen - it got sore right at the bottom of the fat part of my calf and really hurt when I ran.  I stayed off it for almost two weeks, then 45 minutes or so into a run it started to hurt again.  The second time I took antiinflamatories and alternated heat and ice for several days - I started to run a week after the seond time and so far so good.  No idea where it hurts or what you've done, but if it hurts when you run, don't run and if it continues to hurt see a doc.  Good luck!
2008-04-08 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Don't know if this will help or not, I pulled my hamstring once. I struggeled with it for 6 weeks or so before finally seeing a PT about it. With the PT's help, the only way I got back to running was to very very slowly ease back into it (once the sharp pains had stopped): 

Day 1: 0.5 miles

Day 2: no running

Day 3: 1 mile

Day 4: no running

Day 5: 1.5 miles

Day 6: no running

and so forth until I hit about 3 miles. Then I went by the 10% milage/week increase rule from there :

week 1 after the above buildup: 3miles, off, 3miles, off, 3miles

week 2: 3miles, off, 3miles, off, 4 miles

and so forth...

I also did strength training to target that muscle, lots of stretching, and crosstraining such as swimming, whatever didn't cause any pain.

2008-04-08 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Thanks all.

I am supposed to start a running course next week, but I'll be very careful to ease into it.

I like the idea of targeting the region with strength training, as it only seems to hurt in certain ranges of motion.

Feeling a bit better every day!

2008-04-09 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY

QUESTIONS:

ok.. whats going on is: a pull probably 2nd degree.. no pain after a week .. but just when you think you're good.. bang.. same pain right ?

You have to rest it.. i know that sounds awful, but true.. it'll take about 3-6 weeks of rest before you can go "full bore" on it again.. its bad and the rest time is awful, but I used to get those all the time.. until I started taking care of my calfs..
in the gym: calf raises, ankle work, groin and hamstring work too.. then start out slow and build.. take care of it once.. and you wont have to do it over and over again..
2008-04-09 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, Ne
Google "soleus stretches". Made the difference for me. Like night and day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » left calf???? recovery time Rss Feed