Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

Technically this race was Cancelled.
My wife and I pile the dogs and all our "stuff" in the truck, leave the house at 7:00am and head out to this race (3 hr drive). This race takes place UP Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia. The plan was park at the 2.5 mile mark and walk, run, or carpool back down to the bottom. We arrived in plenty of time to hike back to the start of the race.
Getting out of the truck it was 26 degrees and somewhat windy. It had just started to snow. I am thinking this is awesome. It is going to be a blast to do this. Within 15 - 20 minutes it is really coming down and the winds are whipping through at probably 30mph. Next thing you know, we can't even see 50 ft.!!
We ask what the plan is and are told that the race will both start and finish from the parking lot we are in. Maybe run down 1.5 mi and turn around and come back up or something. It's COLD!! We get back in the the truck and just hang out a few minutes.
We notice vehicles leaving a few minutes later. I ask someone what the plan is. Turns out the Park Service is closing the access road. Everyone DOWN the mountain. We meet at the bottom and they tell us it is "officially" cancelled. However, if we want to, we can run up to the 1 mile mark and back down. So we did that.
OMG!!! I feel lucky. Just from that little bit of running the fronts of my shins are sore. It would have killed me to run the whole thing. OK, I would have had to walk alot. This is definately an advanced runner (LOTS of hill work) course. 3.1 miles of UP, UP, UP!!!
I went in not really knowing what to expect, now I know. Definately be prepared for this beast of a hill climb with 1, 20 yard flat spot at the parking area near the top!
We had a good time though. It was BEAUTIFUL! and the dogs didn't know what to think (only 1 face plant though).

Sorry, no pictures. I forgot my after race bag at the house.

Last updated: 2004-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-12-20 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta
Subject: Brasstown Bald Buster 5k

2004-12-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: #94319

Subject: RE: Brasstown Bald Buster 5k
Congrats on the "shortened" run - did you get the t-shirt?
2004-12-20 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta
The swag on this was gggoooooddd!!
We received a sweatshirt, polarfleece 200 hat and a finishers plaque!! Not to mention the usual water, bananas, and granola bars.
Not too bad, I thought.
2004-12-21 5:58 PM

User image

Atlanta
Wanted to do this one, but did'nt want to brave the weather. Ran down by the river on Powers Ferry rd. around 10:00 am. could'nt ask for better wether conditions.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brasstown Bald Buster 5k Rss Feed