General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multi-session training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-20 8:05 AM

Rochester New York
Subject: Multi-session training question
Last summer I competed in a sprint triathlon, and some other distance running races. I have decided that I would like to try a half IM. I am following the training program on this site, and I am about a month into it. I get up early 2-3 times a week and swim. Then I work out 5-6 days a week in the afternoon. In those afternoon sessions, biking and running are often paired. I do not want to turn every workout into a brick. Any ideas on how long I should cool down before moving from activity one to activity two? Should I brick them? Should I always go from bike to run? Getting up more days of the week is out of the question ( it was –1 out today when I did it!). Thanks for the thoughts!
Sean

2004-12-20 8:30 AM
in reply to: #94320

User image

Veteran
Gardner KS (near Kansas City)
Subject: RE: Multi-session training question
how does 6 hours sound? have you checked out the trainng programs on this site? they seems to balance out the workouts - I split my day in two, with 6 hrs or so between workouts, usaully swim/weights or a bke/run- keeping both under 60 minutes as in my easy workouts for that week - don't forget to take a day off, recuperation is equally important

Edited by Darr 2004-12-20 8:31 AM
2004-12-20 8:39 AM

Rochester New York
Yeah i def. take some time off, when i go in the morning. But when i just go in the afternoon for a 2 workouts.... Thats more of the question i have, how long, any tips on recuperation, should i just do the bricks for the heck of it?
2004-12-20 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

I would say that if you're training PURELY for triathlons,  there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a brick every single time.  In a race, that will ALWAYS be the case.  And biking to running is better because biking warms up the leg muscles for a more "impact" intensive exercise like running. 

For example,  if the intended workout is for a long run of 1hr,  biking for 10 - 20 mins before that would actually be beneficial. 

My 2 cents.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multi-session training question Rss Feed