General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM 27 week training plan-Not too confident Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-08 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: HIM 27 week training plan-Not too confident
I am in week 10 of a 27 week training plan to prepare for the Steelhead 70.3 in Mi. Below is the basic plan:

Mon: Lift
Tues: Swim and Run
Wed: Lift until week 13, the replace it with bike
Thurs: Swim and Run
Fri: Bike
Sat: Run
Sun: Bike

I average about 11 hours total training time currently with every 4th week cut back to around 6 and it will max out at about 17 hours.

I started out pretty good. Got stronger, faster, further. I did push into higher zones when I was supposed to stay in zone 1 or 2. Most times I was in zone 3. About three weeks ago, both of my knees started bugging me. Symptoms feel like Patellar tendinitis. I took last week off from running and cut leg extensions in the gym. I also cut my leg press weight to just the sled.

Today, I finally went for a short run and averaged 10:30 for 20 mins with a wu and cd of 5 mins each. I usually run at a 8:30 pace. I feel okay, but my knees are reminding me that I better not push them too hard!

NOW, HERE IS WHAT I REALIZE! Every day I am working my legs one way or another. Do you think I should change the workouts to give my legs a day off? Drop some workouts? Or is the cross training sufficient rest since I don't do the same discipline two days on a row? Or should I cut back on my intensity?

Thoughts, opinions are appreciated.

Btw, I am doing yoga with my wife to help me gain some flexibility and strength in my core.

2008-04-08 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1324081

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: HIM 27 week training plan-Not too confident

Gregkl - 2008-04-08 3:28 PM I took last week off from running and cut leg extensions in the gym. I also cut my leg press weight to just the sled.

Why stop there? Why wait till week 13 to stop lifting altogether? BC the plan says so? Sounds to me like your body is telling you something. I understand people like to lift all year. Do some upper body if you like but replace the leg lifting w/ another (short) run or take a rest day. Your legs will thank you.

FWIW I like to lift as well. I just don't during the season. for me something's got to give and it's the weights.

Good luck!

Edited by rollinbones 2008-04-08 2:41 PM
2008-04-08 3:19 PM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Something to consider- what about doing weight training without the use of weights or machines?

Last season the coach I used had me in the gym lifting twice a week, mostly for injury prevention purposes. The coach I am using this year has me doing weight training at home and for the leg workout I do squats (using your own body weight only), side lunges, reverse lunges with a twist, and leg curls for the hamstrings with a yoga ball.

At first I thought the use of weights was not a good workout but 3x12 of the above in a circuit gets the HR up and makes the legs tired. So far I've had good results with this. I can provide you some more detail if interested.

-Kevin
2008-04-08 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
One of the most important aspects of training is recovery. Our muscles get stronger when they rebuild after breaking them down from training. It looks like you do not have 1 day of total rest to recover. You might want to consider it.
2008-04-08 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Hey, thanks so far for all the good advice. I am going to stop with the weights except for the upper body stuff. And I think I will let my business travel tell me what day to take as total rest. I am bound to miss a day with my travel schedule.

I thought I was training the legs too much. I made the mistake of listening to the plan instead of my body. I guess it is the fear of not being prepared of the HIM.

My son, a high school runner says that world class runners balance on the edge of optimum training and overtraining and since I am not world class, I will go over the edge if I am not careful.
2008-04-09 8:26 AM

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the Gale Bernhardt training plan from Training Plans for Multisport Athletes.  The plan is pretty specific with the zones you should be staying in, so I would imagine going above them consistently could have contributed to your issues.  Not sure it's the plan's fault - i don't mean to sound harsh, but you're not listening to the plan if you're not in the recommended zones, right?   

How are you treating the recovery weeks?  I agree with the other posters about skipping the Monday weights and perhaps taking it as a full rest day.  This plan is a definitely little unorthodox in its layout, so you might also want to consider looking at other plans before you move into the build phase of this one.  Also, be careful with trying to pick up where you left off if you haven't been able to train consistently for the past few weeks.

Edited by DMW 2008-04-09 8:37 AM

2008-04-09 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1325607

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Thanks. Yes it is the Gale Bernhardt plan. If you have any suggestions on other plans, I am open to it. I just want to be prepared. And I agree, I am not following the plan by going into the higher zones when I shouldn't be.

I do follow the plan on recovery weeks. It is a nice break for me. I had a good recovery week and then followed that up with a good week only to fall apart on the second build week after that.

I picked her plan because of my work I am travelling Mon-Thurs. most weeks and the plan has most of the bikes at the end of the week and on the weekend.

You can e-mail me directly if you have any ideas on another plan. I think it is important to have confidence in your plan. When I trained for my marathon, I followed the plan to a "t" and I felt good during training and finished my marathon in good shape. I only wished it would have been a little faster.

I would like to finish the HIM in 6 hours...maybe I need to re-set that goal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM 27 week training plan-Not too confident Rss Feed