General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman - 20 Week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-09 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: Half Ironman - 20 Week

I'm using BT's HIM-20 week plan right now for a HIM in July.  I'm only 4 weeks into the program, but am enjoying it so far.  A couple of people have commented on how it seems like the long days are too long for this early in the training plan. 

For example, this weekend calls for a 3.5 hour bike ride and a 2 hour run.  Next weekend, the plan calls for a 4 hr. ride and a 2 hr. 30 min run.  Both times, the bike is supposed to be done at a low intensity.  The run only calls for the last 30 minutes to be at a higher intensity.  For the most part, the long days (at this point in time) are not hard effort.  The weekdays are at a higher intensity.  That makes sense to me.

Has anyone used this plan?  What are your experiences from using it?  

2008-04-09 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1326618

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Half Ironman - 20 Week

This plan does start of at a higher volume and maintains it throughout the plan.  See the volume graph.

Will this be too much of a jump in volume for you at your current level?  If so, perhaps the Beginner 1/2 plan may be better, it starts off at a lower volume.  See graph.

Though if you have a 3:30 ride coming up, it looks as if you are finishing week 5 in the second month.  At the end of the second month, you are still building into a 4:30 ride for week 8.  After that, you will hit 4:30 again later in the plan but mostly stay around 3:30 for the long rides. 

If this is too big of a volume jump, then that is an issue that the Beginner plan may address in slowly building.  But if you are used to this volume and can handle a 3:30 ride...then continue as most people have the most issues with bike volume, and this will help to maintain that with 3:30-4:30 rides after week 5.

2008-04-09 3:03 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

I was using this plan at this time last year.  Due to family constaints I missed several of the long rides and most of my rides were on a trainer, even with good weather.

So no comment on the training volumes.  Will just say to make sure you take full advantage of the long rides to nail down your nutrition, especially the sodium and potasium intake as without my long rides I wasn't able to do that and came up way short on electrolytes by the time the run (walk) rolled (no pun intended) around.

2008-04-09 3:30 PM

User image

Master

It looks like you're talking about the Silver Membership 20 week plan. At my fitness level, that plan would have me injured in 2.5 weeks easy. But then again, I'm a 300-400 minute a week average kind of guy.

The Bronze 20 week plan has a lot less volume and that's the one I'm thinking of doing. It seems perfect for my level of fitness, if not a bit light a month in; but at this time frame in the plan, I think it should be on the light side.

I'm thinking that the people who are complaining about the plan are probably a bit more used to my level of volume. Looking at your logs, the Silver seems like something that you could handle.

Edited by cordova61 2008-04-09 3:31 PM
2008-04-09 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1326703

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Ron - 2008-04-09 10:00 AM

This plan does start of at a higher volume and maintains it throughout the plan. See the volume graph.

Will this be too much of a jump in volume for you at your current level? If so, perhaps the Beginner 1/2 plan may be better, it starts off at a lower volume. See graph.

Though if you have a 3:30 ride coming up, it looks as if you are finishing week 5 in the second month. At the end of the second month, you are still building into a 4:30 ride for week 8. After that, you will hit 4:30 again later in the plan but mostly stay around 3:30 for the long rides.

If this is too big of a volume jump, then that is an issue that the Beginner plan may address in slowly building. But if you are used to this volume and can handle a 3:30 ride...then continue as most people have the most issues with bike volume, and this will help to maintain that with 3:30-4:30 rides after week 5.

I'll charge on through, then...thanks! I'm enjoying the current training volume. I don't feel over-tired, and am not intimidated by the distance.

I was just a bit worried because I had a couple of comments from people who have much more experience (than me) in the sport.

tupuppy: will do on the nutrition plan. I’ve been putting it off.

cordova: I used the beginner plan last time, and I loved it. Hope you have fun with it as well.

Edited by naners 2008-04-09 3:34 PM
2008-04-09 5:15 PM

Veteran
Kentucky

I just finished the 20wk HIM and on to the 20 IM now.

I say stick with it and make sure to watch the HR zones. Keep them low and make the time. Forget about distance and speed, they will come.

As for the long rides it was bad weather or dark and I had to do on the indoor trainer. One good football game or a couple of movies helped.

good luck ....

2008-04-09 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
I am almost done w/ the BT bronze plan for my first HIM. I think it is great, lots of volume spread over lots of workouts. I personally increased some of the longer rides as the bikes are never more than 40-50 miles. Hopefully it pays off in May for Florida 70.3!
2008-04-10 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
That's funny, we're on the exact same schedule using the same plan - how weird (I'm also using the 20 week HIM silver plan)! My race is also on July 20th! After coming out of a swim focused plan during the winter, this is a great plan to follow up on that (I feel there could be a bit more swimming in the HIM plan). Good luck this weekend, looks like I'll be having cruddy weather here in WI for Saturdays 3 1/2 hour ride :-[
2008-04-11 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
I'm a week or so ahead of the two of you using the 20 week HIM. I'm on a return phase of triathlon, 2007 was my first year back after a 18 or so year lay off from tris. I find the HIM program very good overall, but at times take some extra rest when needed.

I work 10 or so 24 hours shifts a month as a firefighter, so some weeks are real bad for sleep, so I take an extra rest day when work doesn't allow for enough rest, I figure after 19 years of this job and being in my 40's I can take and extra rest day when needed and I don't worry about it.

Of course I'm not sure how folks with normal jobs can get all the training done. I'm lucky and have used my bike trainer at work, we also have a treadmill (though it's in a small room with no windows, TV's etc so runs over an hour are torture), limited weights are also available. I do modify things a bit to fit things in around the family. I also don't really understand the need for a 2:30 run, so 2 hours is my max for running at any time, I try to keep it under that for my legs sake. Once the terrible weather in Michigan gets more spring like, more often I'll get alot more time in on the bike. I've already put alot of time in the swim in, and add swim workouts to the program as I find it light in this department at times (only two swims for two weeks doesn't make much sense)

I figure if I can complete 90% of this program that I won't have any issues completing my first HIM.
2008-04-11 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

I am using the plan and 8 weeks left.  While the time seems long early, just remember the pacing.  You have to do it right or it could lead to injury or just state of tired all the time.  I found the weekends to be too much without enough recovery.  So, I pulled the long run to Thursday and long ride to Sunday (some times).  I think the key to the plan is the long stuff early.  If you skip or miss, you will get less out of the plan.   

I travel lots and have to play with the plan some.  I would not let the plan rule your effort.  Just try to build over three weeks, then take a lower volume week (as the plan is designed).

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman - 20 Week Rss Feed