General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Shoulder Injury - ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-20 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: Possible Shoulder Injury - ??

Hi All:

A quick question.  I have been experiencing some discomfort/pain in my left upper arm. It is on the outer side of my arm and feels like it is in the area of the end (where it connects to the humorus) of my deltoid towards the back. It only hurts when I make certain movements; including laterally raising my arm.  When I raise to towards the front no pain, straight to the side a little discomfort, and if my arm is more towards the back the pain is more pronounced.

I am concerned it could be an over use swimming issue, but it doesn't hurt when I swim, or when I ride my bike.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for any ideas and help.

- Tim

Edited by SwmBkRn 2004-12-20 4:03 PM

2004-12-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: #94560

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Possible Shoulder Injury - ??
Any Doctors in the house???
2004-12-20 5:05 PM

User image

Regular
Yes I'm curious too. I have the issue on my right side. Same symptoms but over a couple of days with some specific yoga stretches it feel better. But it's usually after swimming that this issue comes about.
Please advise.

Thom
2004-12-20 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
It could be shoulder tendinitis or bursitis. I get this because I slack off on my weightlifiting for my shoulders. It can take some time to clear up. The last time I got it was February. It took 4 months to clear up. A couple of things to prevent it. Don't do any shoulder exercises that make you put your arms over your head. Avoid the bench press, only because it can put some stress on the rotator cuff. I don't do any sets of 15 reps or more. I find that I overwork the muscles when I do that. Have someone evaluate your swimming, maybe your doing something different with one arm compared to the other. Try alternating breathing from each side so the stress is off of one of your shoulders. Tendinitis won't hurt when performing an activity but you sure will feel it afterwards and that may be the reason why you don't feel it when your doing stuff. I would go see a doctor and if it is tendinitis get some anti-inflammatories and that should clear it up rather quickly. I didn't use them when I had it and that is why it took so long.

Mike
2004-12-20 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Not a doctor - but lots of experiance from the school of hard knocks. I increased my swimming distance too fast, with lousy form, and only breathing on one side and like magic, I hurt my shoulder (my injury sounds very similar to yours). I gave it three months of real easy training, no weights, limited swimming, and it still hurt like crazy when I tried swimming, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. When it got to the point it was hurting during my runs, I knew I needed to do something.

Finally found a chiropractor (who is also an Ironman). After about 4 weeks, he has me back to 95% of normal - best part, is he didn't even tell me to stop training (he said any idiot could tell me that and it would probably get better).

The solution for me was twice weekly visits, where he stretchs and pops things back into place - plus he gave me some stretching exercises to do.

Bottom line, find a good doc or chiropractor - I was never a believer until now.

Dennis
2004-12-20 10:48 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Hey Tim,

My 2 cents is to find a good physiotherapist (experience in sports injuries) who can assess your rotator cuff function.  Most likely you have an imbalance which can be corrected via a few exercises.  Swimming can easily lead to rotator cuff imbalance...I had it, and it was causing problems at the head of my biceps tendon.  Physio cured it before it got out of control. 

Shoulders are not well supplied by blood vessels and take a long long time to heal once injured....not fun, but true.

Hope you heal soon!

Jen

2004-12-20 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey Tim,

Lots of different yet same advice being offered here it seems... and I'll join on that bandwagon.

Although you may not feel it while swimming or biking, it may be a form issue. To see if this is the case.... have someone videotape you while swimming.
Also, if you can't get into a physical therapist.... try a getting a deep tissue massage from a certified person, not a salon. an experienced person may be able to help you out in diagnosing the problem.

Lots of luck with this!

Milly
2004-12-21 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

Thanks, everyone!

I think I have narrowed it down (through everyone's advice and talking to a friend) that it is an issue (either imbalance or slight strain) to the exterior rotators. Will just take it easy and see how it progresses until I can see a doctor and/or PT and get a difinitive diagnosis and treatment - that is, if it doesn't self-correct over the next couple of weeks.

- Tim

Edited by SwmBkRn 2004-12-21 11:35 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Possible Shoulder Injury - ?? Rss Feed