General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing the marathon of an IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-04-10 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: Preparing the marathon of an IM

Since I am a runner moving into long distance triathlon, I am still thinking about how to prepare the running leg of the IM.

I have been always very specific in my past putting high attention on a great 13 weeks preparation for any marathon. Sometimes my last long run has been another marathon 3 weeks before the targeted one at a slower pace.

Now, moving to the IM marathon I wonder if I should use the same approach (with 1 or 2 less training sessions per week of course) for reaching a good shape for the race day. I know that it will be slower after 180km of cycling but I am thinking on planning it for a slower pace and adpating all the training sessions accordingly.

For sure I will not be pushing on the bike and my target is to run in a good shape, finishing with a "smile" on my face.

What do you think? 

2008-04-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1328202

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Preparing the marathon of an IM
My plan, which was labeled Intermediate, I think had two 2:30 runs and nothing over. I think you'll find that given the volume of cycling training like a you're running a marathon will be difficult to follow as you'll be gassed all the time.

Given your running strength I would cycling lots and try to build your runs off the bike...the mystery of wondering if you can run a marathon will not exist for you...so concentrate on cycling and running off the bike.
2008-04-10 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1328231

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

running2far - 2008-04-09 4:11 PM My plan, which was labeled Intermediate, I think had two 2:30 runs and nothing over. I think you'll find that given the volume of cycling training like a you're running a marathon will be difficult to follow as you'll be gassed all the time. Given your running strength I would cycling lots and try to build your runs off the bike...the mystery of wondering if you can run a marathon will not exist for you...so concentrate on cycling and running off the bike.

Yes I understand this and I am always doing bricks after the long weekly ride. I will put 2 long rides soon but I don't want to fall into the trap of running and walking in the second part of the marathon as for many IM partecipants.

And since it will be my first IM, I plan to ride the 180km in zone 1 or max zone 2: I will concentrate (again) on being fast on the rinning leg.

2008-04-10 9:21 AM

User image

over a barrier
Walking the IM marathon is usually the result of cycling too hard. Staying in Zone 2 will help keep you fresh for the run. Just ignore all the hammerheads that go flying by on the bike cause you'll see them later in the day walking or they just had great fitness which you can't do anything about anyway.

Just race your race which is tough to do sometimes!!!
2008-04-10 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1328248

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Plissken74 - 2008-04-10 9:17 AM

Yes I understand this and I am always doing bricks after the long weekly ride. I will put 2 long rides soon but I don't want to fall into the trap of running and walking in the second part of the marathon as for many IM partecipants.

Just to repeat what was said above (because it's important to understand), most people are not walking the 2nd half of the marathon due to inadequate run training.  It's poor pacing up to that point in the day (swim + bike + 1st half of run). 

You're a strong runner.  Focus on your swimming and biking to build your endurance there.  Then swim & ride easy and you'll have a good run.  It's really that simple.

2008-04-10 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1328344

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
JohnnyKay - 2008-04-09 4:48 PM
Plissken74 - 2008-04-10 9:17 AM

Just to repeat what was said above (because it's important to understand), most people are not walking the 2nd half of the marathon due to inadequate run training. It's poor pacing up to that point in the day (swim + bike + 1st half of run).

You're a strong runner. Focus on your swimming and biking to build your endurance there. Then swim & ride easy and you'll have a good run. It's really that simple.

Ok thanks for the suggestion but the main point was: should I prepare it like a standalone (slower) marathon? Using same methodology?

I am training using a standalone planning for swimming+cycling and I have a coach since several years for running only. That's why I ask. 

2008-04-10 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Maine

As long as you don't neglect swimming and biking, and given that you seem to have a strong running background, I see no problem with training in a similar manner as you would for a marathon.  I would not do any training runs slower than what you would normally do. Yes, your IM marathon pace will be slower than a stand alone, but I still think you can do your run training at your usual intensities and paces.  Conventional wisdom says you shouldn't do runs longer than 2 1/2 hours during IM training, which makes some sense, but if your training pace allows you to do 20 miles in that timeframe then I say go for it.  I probably would not do 22-24 mile runs as suggested by some advanced marathon plans.

Using myself as an example - I am doing ironman in July and have already done several 20 mile runs this year. My long run (15-20 mile) pace is somewhere around 7:15 - 7:30/mile currently, even though my goal for the IM marathon is 3:30 (8 minutes/mile). Running is my strongest sport, and I am shooting for a 3 hour standalone marathon this fall, so my training is not just focused on IM but on other goals after IM.

2008-04-10 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1328400

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Plissken74 - 2008-04-10 10:05 AM

Ok thanks for the suggestion but the main point was: should I prepare it like a standalone (slower) marathon? Using same methodology?

I am training using a standalone planning for swimming+cycling and I have a coach since several years for running only. That's why I ask. 

My advice is no.  You are not training for a marathon.  You're training for an IM.  Unless you have gobs of time to train, it will be hard to fit in as much running into your training as you would for a stand-alone.

I don't have any idea how you're training now or how you plan to train, so hard to offer much specific.  But given that running is your strength, you will get much more benefit from more/harder riding and less running than trying to fit your swimming & biking into a marathon plan.

2008-04-10 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1329089

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Maine Rob - 2008-04-09 8:51 PM

As long as you don't neglect swimming and biking, and given that you seem to have a strong running background, I see no problem with training in a similar manner as you would for a marathon. I would not do any training runs slower than what you would normally do. Yes, your IM marathon pace will be slower than a stand alone, but I still think you can do your run training at your usual intensities and paces. Conventional wisdom says you shouldn't do runs longer than 2 1/2 hours during IM training, which makes some sense, but if your training pace allows you to do 20 miles in that timeframe then I say go for it. I probably would not do 22-24 mile runs as suggested by some advanced marathon plans.

Using myself as an example - I am doing ironman in July and have already done several 20 mile runs this year. My long run (15-20 mile) pace is somewhere around 7:15 - 7:30/mile currently, even though my goal for the IM marathon is 3:30 (8 minutes/mile). Running is my strongest sport, and I am shooting for a 3 hour standalone marathon this fall, so my training is not just focused on IM but on other goals after IM.

This is the example I was searching for. Thanks for your post.

Actually I did in my last 3 years 7 marathons and 5 below 3hrs but then I realized that marathon pace is really slow since I like fast pace, emotions like in 10k or 5k races. So no more marathons since 2 years but many 10k and Half marathons: I basically race every week ends on such distances and I do a 30km training once per month, when I do not race to keep good aerobic conditions.

Looking at your experience and suggestion, I am more convinced to go for the normal marathon scheduling without caring too much on the pace on the though training sessions (like long IT or long marathon pace trainings). 

2008-04-10 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1329166

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
JohnnyKay - 2008-04-09 9:20 PM
Plissken74 - 2008-04-10 10:05 AM

My advice is no. You are not training for a marathon. You're training for an IM. Unless you have gobs of time to train, it will be hard to fit in as much running into your training as you would for a stand-alone.

I don't have any idea how you're training now or how you plan to train, so hard to offer much specific. But given that running is your strength, you will get much more benefit from more/harder riding and less running than trying to fit your swimming & biking into a marathon plan.

Before starting IM preparation, I was running 7 (or more) times a week. Now I reduced to 6 and I do 3 swimming sessions (one long) and 4 bike sessions (one long outdoor and 3 indoor with intervals). I am ok right now but I am very fit for Half marathons races. If i have to run a marathon today at a good pace, I would loose in the last 7km for sure but I can do it easily in 3hrs. If I have to prepare it seriously I would for a lower target but I think I will prepare a plan for something like 3h30' just to be sure... 

2008-04-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1329243

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Plissken74 - 2008-04-10 3:48 PM Looking at your experience and suggestion, I am more convinced to go for the normal marathon scheduling without caring too much on the pace on the though training sessions (like long IT or long marathon pace trainings). 

Emphatic NO!!

It is a waste of your training time and when you start to be really fatigued as the training wears on you will be putting a much larger risk of burnout and injury.

You should basically just go into a sort of maintenance mode.  There is really no need to do anything over 2 hours or so for a "long run" session during your IM build up.  For someone with less running experience and speed, maybe, but not for an experienced runner.

The IM marathon is absolutely NOTHING like a stand alone one.  They should not be trained for the same way.

To reiterate what JK said, it is all about the swim and bike training and pacing on race day.  3 weeks before IMFL I ran a relatively untrained 3:15 hilly marathon.  On race day I pushed the bike too hard and WALKED to a 5:45 IM marathon.  All the run fitness in the world didn't mean sh-t on race day for me because I over did the earlier parts of th race.

2008-04-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1329253

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Since I've seen you somewhere else I have a good idea which plan you're following

I could see for a runner like you that you would think the plan is light. It seems to me if you can handle the load of the plan on the swim and bike and your variation of running I'd say you are well on your way to a successful IM marathon.

The testamonials there have shown the plan to be succesful as is. Adding in some of your extra runs I'm sure will be beneficial but I don't think training as if for a stand alone is wise.

I see your tag line but do you rest at all? That seems like some load.

Edited by rollinbones 2008-04-10 3:04 PM
2008-04-10 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1329281

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
rollinbones - 2008-04-09 10:01 PM

Since I've seen you somewhere else I have a good idea which plan you're following

I could see for a runner like you that you would think the plan is light. It seems to me if you can handle the load of the plan on the swim and bike and your variation of running I'd say you are well on your way to a successful IM marathon.

The testamonials there have shown the plan to be succesful as is. Adding in some of your extra runs I'm sure will be beneficial but I don't think training as if for a stand alone is wise.

Rest is something I do once a month maybe. But this is something I am aware of or, better, used to. When I was only running for racing and racing, I was doing 3 or 4 times a week a double running session and I remember 2005 resting only 4 days in the whole year. I was training with other people so the "crazy" guy was not alone. As long as you keep your weight in a good range, you can do it otherwise 1 or 2 kg more and you got injured immediately.

Anyway, since I moved to Tri, resting has a different concept (from my understanding): here is needed more as a mental rest for letting you jumping from one sport to another. It is not a matter of being tired if you train in a smart way. I am far away to train for Tri in a smart way but I am working for that. And again yes, I do sometimes rest, not once a week (as all the books and websites suggest) but per month. 

2008-04-10 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1329276

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Daremo - 2008-04-09 10:00 PM

Plissken74 - 2008-04-10 3:48 PM Looking at your experience and suggestion, I am more convinced to go for the normal marathon scheduling without caring too much on the pace on the though training sessions (like long IT or long marathon pace trainings).

Emphatic NO!!

It is a waste of your training time and when you start to be really fatigued as the training wears on you will be putting a much larger risk of burnout and injury.

You should basically just go into a sort of maintenance mode. There is really no need to do anything over 2 hours or so for a "long run" session during your IM build up. For someone with less running experience and speed, maybe, but not for an experienced runner.

The IM marathon is absolutely NOTHING like a stand alone one. They should not be trained for the same way.

To reiterate what JK said, it is all about the swim and bike training and pacing on race day. 3 weeks before IMFL I ran a relatively untrained 3:15 hilly marathon. On race day I pushed the bike too hard and WALKED to a 5:45 IM marathon. All the run fitness in the world didn't mean sh-t on race day for me because I over did the earlier parts of th race.

Ok another good example. If I ask you what time did you expect that day if you had push much lighter on the bike? 3:30? 3:45? Because if you say you were on 3:15 standalone it means that you were well prepared as I would like to be just around the IM period. 

2008-04-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1329328

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Hey good for you if it works. Certainly seems that you're at a level that you can handle it. Rest is an interesting, individual topic. I'm on old MOP'er and one of things that drew me to Mike's plan was his "old school" philosophy. Even with one day a week of rest my volume seems to be on the higher end of other plans. To each his own. Good luck the rest of the way.  

Plissken74 - 2008-04-10 4:19 PM
rollinbones - 2008-04-09 10:01 PM

Rest is something I do once a month maybe. But this is something I am aware of or, better, used to. When I was only running for racing and racing, I was doing 3 or 4 times a week a double running session and I remember 2005 resting only 4 days in the whole year. I was training with other people so the "crazy" guy was not alone. As long as you keep your weight in a good range, you can do it otherwise 1 or 2 kg more and you got injured immediately.

Anyway, since I moved to Tri, resting has a different concept (from my understanding): here is needed more as a mental rest for letting you jumping from one sport to another. It is not a matter of being tired if you train in a smart way. I am far away to train for Tri in a smart way but I am working for that. And again yes, I do sometimes rest, not once a week (as all the books and websites suggest) but per month.

2008-04-10 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1329330

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I was trained for and would have expected around a 3:30 or so.  Obviously didn't happen, so I wouldn't know what would have happened had I been able to run the whole thing.

2008-04-10 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Maine

I think part of our differing opinions may be based in what is meant by "usual marathon training." If you're talking about doing 100 mile weeks, with a lot of 2-a-day workouts, then no, you would not want to do that. If you're talking about key sessions focused on the marathon distance - interval sessions of 4-6 miles, tempo runs of 8-12, long runs of 12-20, then I don't see why you would want to abandon that. We all know that you need to pace the bike well to run to your full potential, but isn't your full potential determined by your run training leading up to the race?  Ironman training is a lot about balancing the load, but if a well trained, experienced runner is capable of popping out two to two 1/2 hour training runs with relative ease and good recovery, why should they not do it? 

2008-04-10 3:48 PM

User image

Mesa
It is in my belief that training for a IM marathon isn't just about running. Your bike fitness level will have a lot of influence on your marathon.

If you can run a 3 hour marathon but don't have the bike fitness you won't even be close to the time you want to run.

Higher bike fitness = fresher legs = better run

And as Daremo said... you don't train for a IM marathon the same way... but then I have only completed 2 marathons and they were attached to some swimming and biking... so what do I know... LOL
2008-04-10 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Interesting thread on ST about this a while back
2008-04-10 8:02 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
OK. Here is a topic I feel well qualified to opine about.
If you train for your IM using either a well established plan, coached or non-coached, based on specific training zones which you have established via testing (VO2, LT, field testing, ect.), using HR or power or both as your guide to work the proper amount (sorry Rick, but this is where I think you fall short), AND put in the required training and time, you will be able to run your IM marathon. Based on what you have said about your fitness as a runner, you can probably look to you IM run being 30min longer than your open marathon time. Your BIKE fitness is CRUCIAL, however. The bike will provide you with the opportunity to build a long duration aerobic base that will serve you well on the run. This is how my coach trained me and my results are a testament to that approach. You CAN NOT train for the IM marathon like an open marathon. I ran my fastest open marathon, 2:59, with no marathon specific training in the middle of my IM build.

Bottom line? Get in the pool and get on your bike.
2008-04-10 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1329385

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Daremo - 2008-04-10 3:43 PM

I was trained for and would have expected around a 3:30 or so.  Obviously didn't happen, so I wouldn't know what would have happened had I been able to run the whole thing.

I see this as a failure of your training protocols and not your ability.

2008-04-10 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1329820

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

Birkierunner - 2008-04-10 2:36 AM Interesting thread on ST about this a while back

Great reference, thanks!

I think that, beside all this thread, it should be clear that if you have a BMI higher than XX, stay away of running volume higher than 70km/week. I don't want to say how much is XX because otherwise we will open another thread Wink

Basically this guy suggest what I am thinking...very good then. 

2008-04-10 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Bryan - what did your long runs look like during IM training? Did you cap it at two hours? Seriously, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the top runners would limit themselves to 16 mile runs as their longest.
2008-04-10 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1329919

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Maine Rob - 2008-04-10 8:39 PM

Bryan - what did your long runs look like during IM training? Did you cap it at two hours? Seriously, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the top runners would limit themselves to 16 mile runs as their longest.

No, I would build up to 22-23 miles towards the end. Who said 16?
2008-04-10 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1329955

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Interesting. My plan caps at 2 hours, usually followed by an hour ride to keep aerobic w/o being quite so punishing on the body.

Looks like the longest day is what he likes to call a sandwhich: Run 1:45, Bike :45, Run 1:00.

That looks like plenty long to me Oh and I aint so fast anyway!

Edited by rollinbones 2008-04-10 9:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing the marathon of an IM Rss Feed  

of 2