General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's Saturday Morning - Time for Some Newbie Questions! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-12 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: It's Saturday Morning - Time for Some Newbie Questions!
Everyone here has been great sharing their experiences and advice, and I need some more (kinda like Dove milk chocolate bars)!

* I understand you must walk your bike to and from the transition area. Should I put my bike shoes on and then walk my bike out, or should I carry my shoes with me and once I am out of the transition area put them on? My concern is walking with the shoes on concrete isn't the easiest. Obviously the same would go for returning to the transition area after the bike.

* Hydration - I plan on skipping my morning cup of coffee the day of the race to save from having to make an extra pit stop. However, what about water? I have been making a conscious effort to make sure I am now drinking plenty of h2o, but what about the night before and race day? I am afraid if I drink too much h2o during that period I will need to stop a couple of times to, well, you know! (Hey at 47 this is a bigger issue than it was at 27).

* I am convinced taking 30 seconds after the swim to towel off will be easier for a newbie that isn’t as concerned about his time as he is finishing. Correct?

* Nutrition (fuel) - I plan on a whole grain English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. I don't want to eat any more because I am afraid of how it will affect me during the swim. I though I would eat a banana and/or orange slices after the swim in the transition area. After the bike I plan on another half a banana or a couple of orange slices. Any other suggestions?

Okay, enough for now!

2008-04-12 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1332606

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: It's Saturday Morning - Time for Some Newbie Questions!

jacasa - 2008-04-12 6:44 AM Everyone here has been great sharing their experiences and advice, and I need some more (kinda like Dove milk chocolate bars)! * I understand you must walk your bike to and from the transition area. Should I put my bike shoes on and then walk my bike out, or should I carry my shoes with me and once I am out of the transition area put them on? My concern is walking with the shoes on concrete isn't the easiest. Obviously the same would go for returning to the transition area after the bike. * Hydration - I plan on skipping my morning cup of coffee the day of the race to save from having to make an extra pit stop. However, what about water? I have been making a conscious effort to make sure I am now drinking plenty of h2o, but what about the night before and race day? I am afraid if I drink too much h2o during that period I will need to stop a couple of times to, well, you know! (Hey at 47 this is a bigger issue than it was at 27). * I am convinced taking 30 seconds after the swim to towel off will be easier for a newbie that isn’t as concerned about his time as he is finishing. Correct? * Nutrition (fuel) - I plan on a whole grain English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. I don't want to eat any more because I am afraid of how it will affect me during the swim. I though I would eat a banana and/or orange slices after the swim in the transition area. After the bike I plan on another half a banana or a couple of orange slices. Any other suggestions? Okay, enough for now!

I would not skip the coffee....you might get a caffien withdrawl headache.  Also caffiene has been shown to increase performance.

Put your shoes on and then walk out.

If you're gonna wear sock, definately dry your feet or you'll have a hard time getting your socks on.

Remember to look around at all the excitement and have fun!

~Mike

2008-04-12 6:59 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

jacasa - 2008-04-12 7:44 AM Everyone here has been great sharing their experiences and advice, and I need some more (kinda like Dove milk chocolate bars)! * I understand you must walk your bike to and from the transition area. Should I put my bike shoes on and then walk my bike out, or should I carry my shoes with me and once I am out of the transition area put them on? My concern is walking with the shoes on concrete isn't the easiest. Obviously the same would go for returning to the transition area after the bike.
Shoes on ... transition is all about time and that is definitely quicker
* Hydration - I plan on skipping my morning cup of coffee the day of the race to save from having to make an extra pit stop. However, what about water? I have been making a conscious effort to make sure I am now drinking plenty of h2o, but what about the night before and race day? I am afraid if I drink too much h2o during that period I will need to stop a couple of times to, well, you know! (Hey at 47 this is a bigger issue than it was at 27).
water is your friend ... don't skimp but drink plenty of it. 
* I am convinced taking 30 seconds after the swim to towel off will be easier for a newbie that isn’t as concerned about his time as he is finishing. Correct?
You could also pack a picnic
* Nutrition (fuel) - I plan on a whole grain English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. I don't want to eat any more because I am afraid of how it will affect me during the swim. I though I would eat a banana and/or orange slices after the swim in the transition area. After the bike I plan on another half a banana or a couple of orange slices. Any other suggestions? [/quoute] it really depends upon your race distance.  Generally a rule of thumb is that it takes 45 minutes for your body to process what you ingest into fuel. 
Okay, enough for now!

The sheer fact that you are asking these questions is an indication that you will do fine at the race.  Good luck!

2008-04-12 7:02 AM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ

#1 I would walk in my shoes to the line then mount the bike. It's not that bad, lots of other people will be clip clopping through transition in bike shoes. If you put your shoes on at the mount line you will start to get in other people's way.

#2 I once read in a Hal Higdon book to drink as normal the day before, don't drink 2 - 3 hours before the start then start again 15 minutes before. I'm no expert but it works for me.

#3 Given your goals I say do whatever makes you comfortable. It's difficult to pull a shirt on when you are wet so you will probably save some of the time back.

#4 I think most people can get through a sprint without fueling during it. However eating a banana at T1 sounds like a great idea.

Best of luck and have a great time! I hope this is the first of many tris for you.

2008-04-12 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

jacasa - 2008-04-12 7:44 AM

*  Should I put my bike shoes on and then walk my bike out, or should I carry my shoes with me and once I am out of the transition area put them on?

Put the shoes on in the transition area and walk in your bike shoes.  It will be faster than lugging shoes around, safer, and will be less disruptive the flow of traffic.  The shoes aren't that bad to walk in once you get used to them.

* Hydration -  I am afraid if I drink too much h2o during that period I will need to stop a couple of times to, well, you know! 

Before any endurance event, you should drink well the night before and day of, just like you were doing in training. Don't restrict water to avoid excess urination. A pip stop would be less problematic than suffering deydration and cramping, don't you think?

* I am convinced taking 30 seconds after the swim to towel off will be easier for a newbie that isn’t as concerned about his time as he is finishing.  

I wouldn't imagine the toweling off would do much for you.  You dry off quickly on the bike and it's part of the fun/experience. However, nothing says you can't towel off if it makes you happy.

* Nutrition (fuel) - I plan on a whole grain English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. I don't want to eat any more because I am afraid of how it will affect me during the swim. 

Eat a good breakfast, but eat 2-3 hours before the event.

2008-04-12 7:11 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I'll sorta try to answer some of your questions best I can....

jacasa - 2008-04-12 6:44 AM

* I understand you must walk your bike to and from the transition area. Should I put my bike shoes on and then walk my bike out, or should I carry my shoes with me and once I am out of the transition area put them on? My concern is walking with the shoes on concrete isn't the easiest. Obviously the same would go for returning to the transition area after the bike.

You can leave your shoes on your bike if you like, but make sure you practice mounting the bike with the shoes attached and getting your feet into the shoes. I've never really bothered with the "shoes on the bike" routine, maybe someone who does it will have better advice. I believe you basically pedal a few strokes with your feet on top of the shoes, slip one foot into one shoe, pedal a few more strokes, slip the other foot in, then off you go. It doesn't bother me much to walk on concrete in my bike shoes. Sure, I'm not moving very fast, but I'm not really a podium contender, so it doesn't really matter. You could practice walking or easy jogging in your bike shoes on pavement some this week to get accustomed to it. I would not suggest carrying your bike shoes with you out of transition, I think you could cause a traffic jam if you try to stop and put on your shoes at the bike mount line...

I would say you can make a little extra effort to "pre-hydrate" beginning about 3 days before your event. Don't worry about drinking much extra on race morning. If you've hydrated yourself well enough in the days before, that shouldn't be necessary, and could lead to the --- ummm - other problems you've alluded to...

Do what you want. If you'll feel better toweling off, go for it. You'll actually dry off pretty quickly on the bike, though, so depending on temperature, it might not be necessary.

* Nutrition (fuel) - I plan on a whole grain English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. I don't want to eat any more because I am afraid of how it will affect me during the swim. I though I would eat a banana and/or orange slices after the swim in the transition area. After the bike I plan on another half a banana or a couple of orange slices. Any other suggestions?

Your breakfast sounds fine. If it were me, I would forego the fruit in transitions. For a sprint race, you can probably get enough nutrition from your sports drink of choice to get you through the race, or if you've used them in training and know they work for you, take a gel or two during the race. Under race effort, some people find fruit to cause gastric problems. If you've done it in training and know it works for you, then I suppose you would be fine. It'll take more time to down the fruit than it would sports drink or gels, but if that's not important to you, then eat what you know works for you!

Good luck with your event!!!

2008-04-12 7:33 AM

jacasa - 2008-04-12 7:44 AM Everyone here has been great sharing their experiences and advice, and I need some more (kinda like Dove milk chocolate bars)! * I understand you must walk your bike to and from the transition area. Should I put my bike shoes on and then walk my bike out, or should I carry my shoes with me and once I am out of the transition area put them on? My concern is walking with the shoes on concrete isn't the easiest. Obviously the same would go for returning to the transition area after the bike. * Hydration - I plan on skipping my morning cup of coffee the day of the race to save from having to make an extra pit stop. However, what about water? I have been making a conscious effort to make sure I am now drinking plenty of h2o, but what about the night before and race day? I am afraid if I drink too much h2o during that period I will need to stop a couple of times to, well, you know! (Hey at 47 this is a bigger issue than it was at 27). * I am convinced taking 30 seconds after the swim to towel off will be easier for a newbie that isn’t as concerned about his time as he is finishing. Correct? * Nutrition (fuel) - I plan on a whole grain English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast. I don't want to eat any more because I am afraid of how it will affect me during the swim. I though I would eat a banana and/or orange slices after the swim in the transition area. After the bike I plan on another half a banana or a couple of orange slices. Any other suggestions? Okay, enough for now!

1. Drink enough - and make sure you get there early enough to make a couple trips to the bathroom if you have to. Oh, and pee in the lake

2. Don't bother toweling off - though keep a towel in transition to lay out your stuff, and you should at least wipe off your feet. But the rest of you will dry.

3. Your breakfast sounds fine, as long as you know this works for you. However, how are you going to manage a banana or orange slices in transition? Seems kinda high-maintenance food (peeling a banana or esp. an orange). And ditto to the post above - oranges are acidic and could bother your stomach while running. Probably best to stick to something really neutral AND something you've used before. Do you use gels? If so, that might be your best bet - easy to eat and digest. If you eat one on the bike, you'll be set for the run.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-04-12 7:35 AM
2008-04-12 7:35 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Good answers so far, I'll try to provide additional info"

1. Put your shoes on at your rack. You're not going to find a designated spot to put shoes on at the mount/dismount line, and may even get in someone's way if you try it like that. And I wouldn't recommend a first-timer try the shoes-on-the-bike thing.
  2. One of the hardest thing I've found to fine tune is the hydration fine line. Generally I stop drinking an hour before start an make several visits to the porta-potty in that final hour. If lines start to form I will often go straight from the p-p back into line. Object is to make the last trip as close as possible to the start of the race. If you do that, you should not have to go again in a sprint. Oh, and I need my coffee to get other, more solid things moving!
  3. No purpose to toweling off, but if it makes you comfortable go for it. Likely you'll be mostly dry on the run from the swim to the transition area, if not you'll dry off very quickly on the bike. Some people use a small towel to wipe dirt/sand off their feet, but if your's is a pool swim you may not even have to bother with that.
  4. Eat the same breakfast as you do before your morning training sessions (PRIMARY RULE: nothing new on race day!). Unless you're going to be out there longer than two hours, there's no real need to eat anything during the race itself.

Best advice i can give is to practice the transitions under conditions that closely simulate those of the race. Wet yourself down, run around the house, put on bike shoes and gear while still damp and out of breath. Run with bike on concrete surface, mount, ride around the block, dismount, run back with bike (all in your bike shoes). Change to running shoes, remove helmet, then run around the block. Practice your finish line smile and pose.

Good luck, and have fun!

2008-04-12 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1332626

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
wurkit_gurl - 2008-04-12 8:33 AM

1. Drink enough - and make sure you get there early enough to make a couple trips to the bathroom if you have to. Oh, and pee in the lake

It is a pool swim. I am afraid the yellow water will give me away!
2008-04-12 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1332626

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
wurkit_gurl - 2008-04-12 7:33 AM

Oh, and pee in the lake

Normally good advice, but his is a pool swim!

2008-04-12 8:00 AM
in reply to: #1332632

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
the bear - 2008-04-12 7:37 AM

wurkit_gurl - 2008-04-12 7:33 AM

Oh, and pee in the lake

Normally good advice, but his is a pool swim!

Yeh, and nobody eeeeevvvvveeerrrr pees in the pool (not that I'd recommend that...)

Edited by jsnowash 2008-04-12 8:01 AM

2008-04-12 8:31 AM

User image

Buttercup
Just wanted to add that, if possible, find a triathlon before your first triathlon and watch how everything comes together. From timing chip pickup to transition setup to swim wave start to T1... watching how other people do well (or don't, as the case may be) can better prepare you for your first race.
2008-04-12 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Bike Shoes:
as others have said, take some time getting used to walking around on concrete in your bike shoes. you don't have to walk out of transition with your bike, you are just not supposed to ride the bike, jog out with it if you are comfortable in your shoes. The start of the bike is already tedious enough with people just trying to get on their bikes and clipped in, there really is no safe place to put your shoes on across the line.

T1 Towel:
just enough to get the sand/gravel off your feet to get your shoes on, maybe 5 seconds to wipe off shoulders, chest, and back to get your shirt on. You'll be relatively dry 1/2 into the ride.
This is your first event, you'll learn as you go what works best specifically for you.

Pre-race meal:
sounds good about 2.5 - 3 hours ahead of time

T1 Snack:
you shouldn't need it. Your body will have enough to get you through your sprint - unless it's a mental thing and I would suggest a gel on the bike (only if you've been using them in practice). Easier and faster for the body to digest and use.

Other suggestions:
*Practice transition area set up, and go through the motions several times before every race.
*Don't worry about your overall time
*Go out there and have fun!!

We'll be looking forward to reading your race report

Edited by G-Moose 2008-04-12 8:44 AM
2008-04-12 9:09 AM

User image

Master
What everyone else said, and DON'T skip that cup of coffee.  Your body is used to it and needs it to function normally.
2008-04-12 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1332706

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

monkeyboy64 - 2008-04-12 7:09 AM What everyone else said, and DON'T skip that cup of coffee. Your body is used to it and needs it to function normally.

x2  LOL, I was just going to say that if you can skip your cup of coffee, then you are already hard core.   Just drink it a couple hours before start time and you'll be fine.  And yep, try taking a couple gels along during the bike -- *much* easier to consume than real food.

2008-04-12 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Hardest  thing I ever encountered was getting my bike jersey on over my wet body.   Even having it rolled perfectly to unroll, it still catches and gets hung up.     Plus my bib# (had safety pinned it) got all smooshed and  torn.  (Got a fuel belt for the bib # after that)

After many triathlons, I still haven't got it worked out.  This is from last years HIM.

(Stupid Jersey!)

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2008-04-12 10:08 AM

2008-04-12 11:18 AM

User image

If you aren't swimming with a wetsuit, do most people swim with their tri top/cycling jersey so they do not have to worry about putting it on in T1?
2008-04-12 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Only once (the 06 HIM) did I wear a tri shirt under my wetsuit.  I don't like the feel of something under the wetsuit top.    So I'm forever fighting the T1 jersey war.
2008-04-12 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1332822

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

nicolascole - 2008-04-12 9:18 AM If you aren't swimming with a wetsuit, do most people swim with their tri top/cycling jersey so they do not have to worry about putting it on in T1?

Yes.  In fact, even with a wetsuit.  Wear your gear underneath, then take off the wetsuit and you're good to go.  Of course, everything will be wet, but you usually dry off quickly.  The only exception would be if it's a cold day, and you really need something dry for warmth.   

2008-04-12 11:41 AM

User image

Master
x2.  Full gear on under wetsuit makes T1 go quick.
2008-04-12 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Only thing to add to OP's questions is about the food.

As far as breakfast, find something that works for you and that you have TRIED in a training situation where you are doing an intensity workout.  I do NOT eat a normal breakfast on race day at all - I have a clifbar.  This is about the only thing I've found that I can eat that does not cause GI distress (cramps, nausea, etc) in a race situation.

I do NOT eat fruit during the race (see above) I go with a gel, easier on my stomach.  For a sprint, you don't really need that much fuel - I'd save the fruit for afterwards.  If you've tried this in training though, then go for it. 

2008-04-12 12:42 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Drink the coffee.

Goodluck!
2008-04-12 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I have tri shorts I am going to swim in. I also plan on wearing a bike jesey on the ride and run. I have 2 tri's coming up. A 200 yd swim and a 1000 yard swim. Am I better off just wearing the trishorts to swim or should I wear my bike jersey for the swim as well? I don't have a wetsuit and I don't think I wil have one for either of these tri's. Water temp should be ok.
2008-04-12 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jacasa - 2008-04-12 4:44 AM

Everyone here has been great sharing their experiences and advice, and I need some more (kinda like Dove milk chocolate bars)!

Put shoes on. No question. Only reason not to would be if you were confident enough to start the bike leg with them clipped to your pedals and slip into them on the ride. Definitely not something to try in first race. You definitely do _not_ want to walk out of the TA with your bike and come to a halt to put on your shoes--you risk having someone run into you.

I'm 47 and haven't had to stop yet in a tri or a marathon to, you know. You're going to have to do some trial and error with hydration, no matter how much advise you get. What has your experience been with long training sessions and drinking? Be guided by that as much as possible. Personally, my stomach doesn't tolerate a lot of fluid at the start of a race, but that's just me. I usually have no more than about 16 oz of a sports drink no closer to race than an hour. But everyone's needs are different, it seems.

Are you wearing socks on the bike? (I do.) Then, yes. Yes. Yes. Do it. Really. If it is a pool swim, just a quick dry. If you are coming off a beach into the TA, you may want to rinse the grit off your feet with a squirt bottle and then quickly dry. I've done this in every tri with an open water swim and--yes--it does cost some seconds, but if you are wanting to wear socks on the bike, it's worth it. If you aren't wearing socks and you are comfortable with some grit in your bike shoes, then skip it. But your question implies that you aren't. You aren't planning to win the race, so relax, be comfortable, and enjoy the experience. (I bring two hand towels, btw, one for each foot.)

Okay, enough for now!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's Saturday Morning - Time for Some Newbie Questions! Rss Feed