General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » really really really new Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-12 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: really really really new

I am so new, I just now thought about trying tri's. I have NO idea where to start. I am running and I have biked and Have been a swimmer. I have never competed in anything (okay once in college did a 6 k race). I have a million questions. Oneis "what am I thinking". My first big question is I want to start swim training. I only have a lake and the water is cold (here in NC). I know I need a wet suit but what kind, what about swim skins. Any advise would be helpful. Oh another one, mountains here mean scary road riding. What about using trail riding for training. I know it is no where near the same but. I'm jut starting so...

Oh heck, back to "what am I thinking".... 

2008-04-12 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1332729

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
Subject: RE: really really really new
Howdy & welcome! Xterra is pretty popular around here, if your interested in trail riding it might be worth checking into. I converted my mountain bike to road use & rode it on the street all last year before getting a real road bike.

Is there any pools you can use until the water warms up in the lakes? Wetsuits can be pretty spendy, but if you continue to read the forums here, you can find deals. Infact there's a thread on discounted suits right now on the main board.

It sounds like you have a great background for Triathlons. I'm doing my first tomorrow, I had to work hard to get into shape because I let myself go for about 5 years & got fat. Good Luck!
2008-04-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1332745

User image

Champion
Bronze member
No pools around. so.. Im in the lake. Xterras are too exteme for me to even think about now. Having been hit by a car on the curvy roads here make me really leery of starting on them. So trail riding it is, for now. Now I just need to find out about wetsuits and skins oh my.. speaking of letting myself go and get and fat, I have a lot more practice than 5years at that. THAT however is in the past.....
2008-04-12 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
This is my experience, I lost about 8-10 inches off my waist before I bought my wetsuit. If I would have bought it when I started, it wouldn't fit very well now. If I gain the 35 lbs back, I won't fit into the one I just bought. The key to me losing weight was getting my diet under control with the help of a nutritionist. I have slacked off on my diet the last month & the weight is starting to return, so I'll go back to monitoring my diet next week using http://www.fitday.com/ Exercise alone isn't enough to get & keep me thin.

I was also hit by a car last year, along with a few very close calls. I started to wear neon yellow jerseys/jacket & it seems to have made a big difference for me. I try to obey most of the traffic laws now & slow down or stop if I see anything that might be trouble. I had a few nasty crashes last year & a couple were from my own stupidity.

I've had many obstacles to overcome, but have always found a way to press on. Tomorrow will bring to fruition the last 10 months of hard work & untold dollars spent on equipment, experts, Gym dues, supplements, & the event entry fees. For me, the event is only the icing on the cake, I really enjoy the training & having something healthy to obsess over. I like what our Resident Curmudgeon The Bear says, "Dude, it's a lifestyle. If you want a hobby, start collecting stamps".

2008-04-14 5:14 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
welcome and good luck
2008-04-14 3:59 PM

New user

Coral Gables

I used to be lazy, thin, petite and definitely not fit. Then I filed for divorce and picked up some hobbies.  Still petite (doubt I can't change that) still thin, but no longer lazy and looking more tone!  Fencing is a passion that started in January, and now in April I am training for my first sprint to be in July.  

So far I enjoy the shopping, because afterall, what isn't a good excuse to shop sometimes!!!  Looking into getting a Specialized Dolce 44cm =
Got a one piece swim suit (one of which I NEVER in my wildest dreams would think of owning)
New running shoes
and now looking around for a good watch =)

I'm really excited about Tri.  Little by little is how I see it right now.  This website has been very very helpful and motivational

2008-04-15 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
Welcome Sugarplum Girl!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » really really really new Rss Feed