General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Pee OR not to Pee... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-22 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: To Pee OR not to Pee...

...that is the question.

So I'm out running tonight and once again a feeling comes over me that I've been having quite a lot recently while running (I think it may be the cold weather?), I need to pee...badly!!  I held it for a long time, but eventually the pain, yes the pain, became too much.  Especially considering I still had about 6km to run!!  So I find a nice little bushy area next to the running track, not that a man relieving himself in public is taboo here, but call me shy, I relieve myself and get back on the track (my pee split was 1:22 incase you're wondering).

I remember some years back now a famous Australian marathon runner, Rober DeCostella (Sp?), was seen sponging down his legs during the late stages of a marathon.  At the time the commentators thought it was some new technique for cooling his legs.  However at the end of the race, when asked about this new technique, he explained that he just had a bad case of diarrhea and he was washing it off his legs!!  Sorry, I hope you weren't eating.

Anyway, that leads me to my question.  When you're racing the clock do you stop to pee or not??  I know that for #2's there is no option (unless you're Robert DeCostella), but how about #1's??  I mean you're wearing tri pants that have a built in bike pad that is made to absorb water and dry quickly, right!?  Let me know how you deal with this problem while racing, and girls please don't feel left out of this...you need to pee to!!

Also, does anyone else experience this problem more so during winter??  It reminds me of when I go snowboarding.  You're out on the slopes and you're dieing to go to the toilet, but once you walk into the warm lodge/restaurant the sensation seems to disapear...it does for me anyway.  Let me know your thoughts.

Travis

2004-12-22 9:59 AM
in reply to: #95161

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: To Pee OR not to Pee...
I know many of my fellow tri-geek friends pee on their bikes but I can never bring myself to do that for 2 reasons:

1. I've never tried it in training so I don't know what kind of chafing it may cause (ouch)

2. I respect the Roo too much to defame it like that

3. I respect the fellow rider behind me/beside who may thing it's raining on him....yuk!
2004-12-22 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You know, this whole peeing thing in triathlon is just weird. I know racecar drivers do it (Lynn St. James admitted to more than a few "pit stops" during her first Indy) but this isnt NASCAR or the IRL and even the TdF peloton slows when the Yellow Jersey stops to relieve himself. I just don't get it. Why would you do it down your legs, especially during a training ride or run? OK, maybe a pro, or like in an Olympic event, but the other 99.99999% of us? Get real.

It's a badge of honor, some say. Badges? I don't need no stinkin badges.

And I agree with Steve, have a little decency and respect for your bike and training partners--and the neighborhood.

2004-12-22 10:40 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

I say pee if you're in a race.  It's almost clear anyway if you're well hydrated and it is sterile unless you've got a kidney infection.  Also, I've never been in a race where there was any sort of bathroom close to the course outside of the start and being a chick, I would likely get in trouble for exposing myself if I tried to squat somewhere.

The only problem I see with it is getting it in your shoes.  Then again, considering how much water I splash on my head when I'm running, my shoes are usually pretty wet anyway.  I wouldn't do this in a training session, however, because there's just no need.

I haven't peed before in tri shorts, but you've already swum in them anyway, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.  I've let some go while I was running the Peachtree Road Race (just as much as necessary to allow me to run comfortably), but I was running through sprays of water coming from fire hydrants and residents' hoses so you couldn't tell.  To actually find a bathroom off of the course would have taken 10+ minutes.

I would suggest, though, that any peeing that needs to be done should be done gradually (think Kegels) so that it's harder to detect and less likely to hit anyone around you (esp. if you're on a bike).

I haven't noticed any change in my need with the weather being colder.

Edited by Whit 2004-12-22 10:42 AM
2004-12-22 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
I know many triathletes whose goal is simply to complete the event, and for them a quick stop isn't an issue. However, if you're looking for a podium finish, or say a top 10, stopping is out of the question. Before my first 1/2 IM, a top ranked age-grouper I compete against regularly gave me a number of helpful pointers, including this: in distance races, if you're not peeing on your bike, you're not drinking enough. It sounds disgusting, granted, but it turns out he was right.
2004-12-22 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I pee a lot because I drink constantly.  However, I never feel the urge to do so while running.  Of course I go before starting.  I have had the urge, however, on long bicycle rides but do my business in the bushes or local restaurant washroom if one is nearby.  I have never had to do so on my bike.  Not that I am a prude but rather I feel that there is no need for me to do that.  Now if I were a world class triathlete, I would have no qualms about humidifying my saddle. 

2004-12-22 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, Texas
Unless you are looking to place or PR, I would stop and pee. Even in IM Florida I stopped in the transition area to pee and I still went under 11 hours!

2004-12-22 11:53 AM
in reply to: #95178

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

ChicagoMan65 - 2004-12-22 8:20 AM It's a badge of honor, some say. Badges? I don't need no stinkin badges. 

And that would be a stinky badge!!!! 

2004-12-22 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I've heard Max knows something about this.

And according to TAGP peeing in the wetsuit is ... well MANDATORY!!!
2004-12-22 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Gardner KS (near Kansas City)
I had to go bad during the bike stage at the Boca Bop Sprint - went away after I got off the bike - Iconsidered going wile on the bike, but was mostly worried about getting my shoes all wet then running - I suppose I will have to try it so I can speak from experience - I will wait until it warms up a bit, no sense in havin it freeze anywhere I dont want to thaw later
2004-12-22 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland

In the sprint and Oly tris I've done it hasn't been an issue.  But now I'm doing a half IM and I'm in my 50s (yes you young'uns, as you will some day find out, age makes a big difference) the pee issue suddenly seems germane.  My first choice would be a roadside rest room if any were available, then going in the great outdoors assuming there are not throngs of onlookers or passersby, and lastly just plain going if none of those options are available.  I don't stand to win anything but I sure don't want to go several minutes out of my way to make the race any longer than necessary.  That reminds me of an anecdote.

Sally Edwards tells a story in her book of a triathlete who was searching for a place to pee, saw that she was close to her hotel, detoured there for relief, and never got back out on the course. Just decided to shower, change and call it a day since she was so far behind the leader in second place.  She later learned that the leader also dropped out and that she would have won had she continued.  Said she felt so bad that afterwards she went back out on the course to finish.  Where else would I get a chance to tell a good pee story, except on BT of course!    

2004-12-22 2:08 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
If you are racing for a podium or PR in a short event like a sprint or Oly, that might be an option. However in a log distance event such as a marathon, half or iron man the time it will take you to stop and pee wont make an important difference on you final time...
2004-12-22 5:57 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
I think you jinxed me with this thread. About 4 miles into my run today, I had to go really really bad. I pulled into a bushy area and watered the plants. If it were a race, I'd probably do the same.
2004-12-22 6:05 PM
in reply to: #95232

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Great minds think alike, Kimi!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth!
2004-12-22 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

1) WOW! It's hard to imagine watering outdoor living plants in the end of December... Chicago is a frozen wind whipped tundra. Any uncovered flesh, (including the watering hose.. ahem!) will be frost bitten immediately upon exposure!

2) I pee in the water... I try to make sure I get it all out. I pee obviously before the race starts... but  I make it a point to pee    again once I'm swimming. Land peeing in my clothes just doesn't seem right. Too bad for the person swimming behind me...

3) I've only done Sprint and Oly distance races... We will have to see how this goes for my Half IM. If I have to pee, I have to pee... and I'll stop someplace and do it. I can't see myself doing the whole "flow on the go" thing. Who knows. I'll report back in September and let you all know what happened.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzz  (no pun intended...)

2004-12-22 7:10 PM

Kerrville, TX
When I did my 1/2IM, I had to pee during the swim. I tried as hard as i could to pee and to keep swimming - but was unable to (I really wish I could have to get that guy that was drafting off of me). Anyway, it seemed to go away on the bike portion (it was a very hot day and I did drank a ton). When I got to T2, it started to come back. So, I finally found a bush (about 1 mile into run).

My suggesstion....practice peeing (if that is what you decide to do) in the water while swimming (or on the bike/run). Best to practice it during your workouts and not in a race (then you can tell if you can even do it and what it does to your workout - shoes, suit, etc). Maybe it's one of those things you get used to (being able to pee while swimming/biking/running).

s

2004-12-22 10:43 PM

Master
Boston
Ugh, I could never pee while racing. I just don't think I could do it. Now, having said this, I will probably have to pee like a racehorse in my first race next year! When I did an Oly this year I didn't ever have to- probably because I was dehydrated a little bit.  But now that I've heard people peeing in the water it kinda makes me worried that someone is peeing on my head or something! I guess I should get in the front of the wave and not the back next time! On a lighter note,  Merry Christmas guys....
2004-12-22 10:57 PM
in reply to: #95367

User image

Pro
Reston
srstephen - 2004-12-22 7:10 PM

My suggesstion....practice peeing (if that is what you decide to do) in the water while swimming (or on the bike/run).

s

I just hope there aren't a lot of people "practicing" at the local swimming pool.
2004-12-23 12:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
If I was running I would stop and let it go (#1 or #2) behind a tree which I did several times on my way to a marathon win in '03. If I was biking I would probably (never really thought about it until now) just go. To much time wasted if one stops on a bike.

During the swim I would find a good tree......HA HA

Guys: On the run if there is no place to pee, just pretend your tieing your shoe and let it go. It works well.

Edited by Blacktoe 2004-12-23 12:32 AM
2004-12-23 11:54 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Since I'm looking to complete, not compete, I should just keep the 'L out of this thread.

Edited by Micawber 2004-12-23 11:58 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Pee OR not to Pee... Rss Feed