General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should your Dr. clear newbies to train??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-16 11:57 AM

User image

Subject: Should your Dr. clear newbies to train???

Hello all,

Do newbies need to get cleared by thier doctor before they begin training?  My mom, a nurse, syggested I get shots as well.  Can anyone chime in here?

Thanks!!!

Harry

2008-04-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1342035

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: RE: Should your Dr. clear newbies to train???
HI,

My opinion....You are the only one that can make that decision. If you are a complete couch potato that has done nothing your whole life and start trining unsupervised, YES, get a doctor's approval. For the regular people that know a litlle about sports, I don't see it needd. Needless to say, if you have a preexisting medial condision, you should definately get clearance

Just curious, shots for what?
2008-04-17 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1344823

User image

Hi Solis.

I am with you on your assessment.  I think I am okay to get into action as I have been in decent shape for the past year exercising 3x a week.  However, I did see one post somewhere to check with your doctor before training.

I did call her today and she asked about poor cholesterol and family heart disease.  I have neither.  She also did say there was no underlying "triathlon" tests to perform, but if something was hurting or if you feel any pains (within our reason), to see them so they can look into it.

The shots my Mom told me to look into were Hep B vaccines  and Td.  I'm not sure what they are or protect against, but she just told me to look into it.  My doctor mentioned neither, so I think it might be moot now.

I will say it did make me feel a bit better to hear my doctor say I was okay to go and that everything could proceed.

Harry

2008-04-18 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1342035

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I'm in general agreement with what's been said so far. If you are healthy, active and do not have a strong family history I don't know what the purpose of a separate exam would be. This does not mean to skip recommended surveillance visits (e.g. Pap Smears, colonscopies, routine well person exams and so on), but if you approach training sanely and listen to your body, you should do fine. If you have underlying medical risks, you should indeed get clearance and optimize your risk. I dont believe a routine exam would identify any of the problems that lead to the well publicized sudden cardiac deaths we see in the news in seemingly healthy individuals.

With regard to shots, do get a Td (tetanus /diphtheria) booster every 10 years. You never know when you'll get a puncture wound through the foot at a race. If you're between 19-64, get a Tdap (tetanus diphtheria and pertussis) for at least one of the booster shots. The question of HepB is harder to answer. The general guidance is if you feel you may be exposed (blood/body fluids) get the series. Here in Florida all school children are required to get HepB. Personally, I got both HepA and B vaccination.

Hope that helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should your Dr. clear newbies to train??? Rss Feed