General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training help needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-16 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: Swim training help needed

I have a tri with a 1000 yard OW in a little over 1 month. Several people have told me I have plenty of time to train, but I have my concerns. I have always been an athlete. I can do the running and the biking without much problem, but I am struggling on the swim.

I am a strong swimmer for short distances. I can swim 1 lap in the pool (50 yards) in 37 seconds, but I am having trouble with long distances. Before you say I am swimming too fast, I do not try that pace on the long swims. I can hardly swim 150 - 200 yards without having to take a rest. I feel like I am out of breath, but I am in good enough shape to run for 2 1/2 hours at a 10 minute pace so it puzzles me.

I am training with a tri team most of whom are inexperienced. We have a swim coach but his schedule and my schedule conflict a lot so I have only been able to train under the coaches supervision for a couple of sessions. I have been training for a month but only in the past couple of weeks have I trained 3 days a week for the swim. Before that it was one or two days a week.

Just wondering if any of you have had the same problems? How did you get past it? At what point did everything click for you? Do you have any pointers for me? When I see people on here who in their training swim 1000-3000 I am truly amazed and it seems quite impossible to me. Hopefully I will get there one day.

2008-04-16 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1342420

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Swim training help needed
Blueraiderzone - 2008-04-16 1:26 PM

Just wondering if any of you have had the same problems? How did you get past it? At what point did everything click for you? Do you have any pointers for me? When I see people on here who in their training swim 1000-3000 I am truly amazed and it seems quite impossible to me. Hopefully I will get there one day.

Almost all of us "non-swimmers" have had this issue.  You get past it by swimming as often as you can (helps develop 'feel' for the water) and working on your form (hopefully with some outside assistance).

Here are some drills that helped me when I started out:

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimming-drills.htm

It took me about 5-6 weeks of working on these at least 3x/wk before things 'clicked' one day and I felt like I could just keep swimming (slowly, of course).

2008-04-16 1:49 PM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
If you are getting that tired that quickly I think you must be fighting the water, especially given the shape that you are in. Take your time and learn how to and really focus on gliding and how to properly float. Swimming should be easier than you are making it, slow down and work on your form.

This will sound strange, but one of the things that increased my performance the most in my swimming days was simple body position. When you can float completly flat in the water without kicking, everything becomes a whole lot easier.
2008-04-16 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1342507

User image

Master
charleston - 2008-04-16 1:49 PM

If you are getting that tired that quickly I think you must be fighting the water, especially given the shape that you are in. Take your time and learn how to and really focus on gliding and how to properly float. Swimming should be easier than you are making it, slow down and work on your form.

This will sound strange, but one of the things that increased my performance the most in my swimming days was simple body position. When you can float completly flat in the water without kicking, everything becomes a whole lot easier.

x2

Possibly try swimming with just your arms (or with a pull-buoy if you are a sinker) and slowing way down. It also helps to stiffen your body a little as if you were a torpedo - increasing your surface area makes it easier to float. Keep at it, you will get it!! : )

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2008-04-16 2:18 PM
2008-04-16 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
I started a tri last year, with somewhat the same state.

I could do about a 500, with a lot of pauses. I was also able to bike and run for hours. I figured I could make it through 15 minutes of swimming without too much worry.

The 400 m OWS swim kicked my $*(*)(.

Since then, I've joined a tri-club, primarily for the swim coaching. I'm in the pool, being coached, 3 times a week. The first 2-3 weeks were PAINFUL, but I got a lot of help from the coaches, in terms of drills and realistic expectations.

After a month or so, I was regularly hitting 1600+m of workout without pausing or fins. 5 months later, I'm still not anything resembling fast, but I'm able to do the full workouts, which are getting into the 2000+ range.

Now... beyond the standard recommendation of asking/listening to your coach, I would say that there is a huge difference in form/style/muscles between a 37 second 50 yard all out sprint and a long distance swim. Sprinters have a different body position, are breathing very little, have a very high stroke cadence and are kicking like mad. Long distance swimmers have a more relaxed stroke cadence, are breathing either every stroke or every 3rd stroke, and are kicking maybe half as much as a sprinter. So to me, it sounds like you might not be breathing correctly, and are kicking too hard for a long distance swim.
2008-04-16 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
FL

Here is the last post I made on a similar issue.  The full post can be found here.  There is lots of great help in this post.  BT is awesome.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=105787&start=1

-------------------

Another Update:

So to recap.

2/10 - Week 1 -   250yrds - Started Swim Training
2/17 - Week 2 - 1150yrds - totally out of breadth after 50yrds
2/24 - Week 3 - 1450yrds - Maybe I can do a 100set, but still out of breadth
3/2   - Week 4 - 3300yrds - still can't do more than 100
3/7   - Post this thread - Not making any progress - Decide to hire a coach.
3/9   - Week 5 - 3300yrds
3/13 - 1st Swim Lesson - He killed me - It was very hard.  Out of breadth every 50 set
3/16 - Week 6 - 4850yrds - Still can't do more than 100
3/23 - Week 7 - 6400yrds - 2nd lesson with coach - starting to make some progress
3/29 - Swam 600 yrds without stopping.  Could have gone further
3/30 - Week 8 - 4950yrds - 3rd lesson (for now).  starting to click
3/31 - Swam 750 yrds without stopping.  Could have gone further

On Saturday morning I went for a swim and planned to try for 400 yds straight.  I did 600 and felt like I could have kept going but decided to stop and not let my form get out of control from being tired.  I continued swimming drills and 100/50 & 25 sets until reaching 1500 yards.

On Sunday, I went to the pool in the afternoon but was not hopeful that I would be able to swim due to the number of people at the pool in the afternoon.  I was right, it was packed like a busy resort pool on spring break week.  Instead I went for a swim in the lake and did about 200 yards and decided to save my energy for a good swim on Monday mornign.

This morning, I decided that I would warm up with a few 50's and then swim as far as I could.   I ended up doing 750 yards at about 2:30 per 100.  I could have kept going but I felt that I was loosing form and did not want to cement bad form.  I finished the swim with 1500 yards total.

WOW, it is finally comming together.  I am a little sore now and feel tired but good too.

After running out of money for more lessons, I am on my own now with just under 2 weeks till my 1st tri and 1/2 mile swim.  I am feeling pretty good about it now though.  I won't shatter any time barriers but I am reasonable confident I will be able to complete the swim with a few or less short breaks and not be totally spent once I get on the bike. 

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help.  BT is the best!!!

Also, thanks to Bill Floyd for his coaching.  http://www.trifloyd.com/

2008-04-16 3:17 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Blueraiderzone - 2008-04-16 2:26 PM

I have a tri with a 1000 yard OW in a little over 1 month. Several people have told me I have plenty of time to train, but I have my concerns. I have always been an athlete. I can do the running and the biking without much problem, but I am struggling on the swim.

I am a strong swimmer for short distances. I can swim 1 lap in the pool (50 yards) in 37 seconds, but I am having trouble with long distances. Before you say I am swimming too fast, I do not try that pace on the long swims. I can hardly swim 150 - 200 yards without having to take a rest. I feel like I am out of breath, but I am in good enough shape to run for 2 1/2 hours at a 10 minute pace so it puzzles me.

I am training with a tri team most of whom are inexperienced. We have a swim coach but his schedule and my schedule conflict a lot so I have only been able to train under the coaches supervision for a couple of sessions. I have been training for a month but only in the past couple of weeks have I trained 3 days a week for the swim. Before that it was one or two days a week.

Looking at your logs it appears that you have 60 min of swimming in the last 3 weeks. I think that the fact that you can do a :37 50 yd swim says that you can be an efficient swimmer. I would say to increase your swim training time by 2 to 3 hrs a week and you'll increase your stamina to do a 1000 OWS without a problem.

Good luck!!

2008-04-16 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Thanks. My logs aren't totally accurate. I am still trying to get in the habit of logging, but I have been swim training longer than I have been logging the information.

2008-04-16 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Thanks. My logs aren't totally accurate. I am still trying to get in the habit of logging, but I have been swim training longer than I have been logging the information.

2008-04-16 11:08 PM

Regular
I'm not an expert swimmer yet. However, if you're in good shape, then swimming harder longer might not be the answer. You might be running into the same challenge I'm having in that I feel short of breath after 100 or so yards. For me anyway, it has to do with a build up of CO2 since my swim breathing is not quite right yet. Here's some related information I posted based on my work with a swim coach.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Marc
2008-04-17 5:42 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Just curious... When you do longer swim sets, how often do you breathe? If you're trying to get by breathing every 3rd or 4th stroke, switch to breathing every other stroke (or each time you stroke with your leftarm/right arm - whichever is your breathing side). If you want to breathe equally on both sides, just switch sides periodically. When I'm lap swimming, I typically breathe to the left on the way down, and to the right on the way back. That way I'm not getting unbalanced, but I'm breathing often enough so I don't get out of breath. I don't know if this is part of your problem or not... but thought I would throw it out there...

2008-04-17 6:09 AM
in reply to: #1343926

User image

Elite
san francisco
jsnowash - 2008-04-17 3:42 AM

Just curious... When you do longer swim sets, how often do you breathe? If you're trying to get by breathing every 3rd or 4th stroke, switch to breathing every other stroke (or each time you stroke with your leftarm/right arm - whichever is your breathing side). If you want to breathe equally on both sides, just switch sides periodically. When I'm lap swimming, I typically breathe to the left on the way down, and to the right on the way back. That way I'm not getting unbalanced, but I'm breathing often enough so I don't get out of breath. I don't know if this is part of your problem or not... but thought I would throw it out there...

X2 on the breathing every stroke. I am a newer swimmer also and felt the exact same way last summer training for my first tri. The best advice I got from my swim coach was to breathe on every stroke for awhile. I tend to favor my right side, so every right stroke, breathe in and blow it all out before you turn to take a breath. We did a lot of body position drills, which I still do every time I swim (500 yds of drills minimum). Also, I was kicking like madwoman when I started out. Now, I still kick, but much more "quietly". In the past 3 months, I have finally been able to get to the pool 3x/week and have gone from needing to stop at 100 gradually building up to 500's. And after the 500, 1500! Thank goodness, because my first oly is in exactly one month and I was very worried about the distance. If you can do 50yds in 37 seconds you must have a strong stroke, but maybe you are kicking too hard? ..I am like 1:00/50 and that's going fast for me! So, try the breathing thing and quiet your kick if it's not already...kicking takes alot of energy. Good luck, you will be fine. btw..Tools that helped me were the Total Immersion video from the library (freestyle made easy) and Steve Tarpinian's book, Swim training for Triathletes.
2008-04-17 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Thanks for all the advice. I have been breathing every 3rd stroke (bilatteral ?). I do not kick a lot. I was told that for tris I probably want to kick very little so I can save my legs for the bike and the run. (Don't know if this is good advice or not)

All of you have given me some good things to work on. I should have plenty to think about next time I enter the pool.

2008-04-17 8:43 AM

Regular
Dalton, GA
This is great info! Thanks for sharing.

I am in the same boat as you. I can do 100 meters then have to pause to get my breath.

I have a 600yd OW swim in just over a week at the Sceneic City Sprint Tri in Chattanooga, TN.....Me thinks its going to kick my butt....but it will be fun....and cold...
2008-04-17 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
My husband is in the same situation. Fabulous shape, but out of breath after 50yds. What we found works well for him is that he switched his breathing from every other stroke to every 3rd or 4th stroke. Also, he focused on blowing out all the air when he is in the water, that way he can take a nice deep breath when he comes up. It has really helped. He is more relaxed and less panicy about breathing in the pool.
2008-04-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1344082

Regular
Blueraiderzone - 2008-04-17 8:02 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I have been breathing every 3rd stroke (bilatteral ?). I do not kick a lot. I was told that for tris I probably want to kick very little so I can save my legs for the bike and the run. (Don't know if this is good advice or not)

All of you have given me some good things to work on. I should have plenty to think about next time I enter the pool.

Not kicking overly energetically is sound advice. The majority of you're propulsion is going to come from your arms anyway. A moderate kick will save energy and thus make breathing more reasonable. The answer is likely not to try to get into better swimming shape through hard workouts with a kickboard, but rather to figure out the breathing rhythm which works for you. Try focusing on exhaling. If you find that your lungs are totally empty before you are read to rotate to inhale, perhaps you are exhaling too quickly or need to inhale on every other stroke rather then every third stroke.

These are concepts I continue to work on. Especially since I'm in Denver which makes breathing particularly challenging for me.

Marc

2008-04-17 3:19 PM

I'm in the process of learning bilateral breathing. 

What's worked for me is focusing on keeping my hips/butt up and letting my hips turn my body as I breath on each side. 

Basically, I focus on what my body does to breath on my primary side and try to transfer that to the other side.

In the last 3 weeks I've gone from feeling like a drowning chicken (first day of bilateral breathing)  to feeling pretty good about my stroke. 

Have fun.

2008-04-17 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

WOW!! Thanks for all the great advice!!! I went for my swim training today. The 3 main things I focused on (Thanks to the advice from you awesome BT members) was 1) Slowing down my pace..even slower than I was going when I thought I was slow. 2) Instead of bilateral breathing I took a breath every 2nd stroke and I changed the side I was breathing on every lap, 3) Trying to glide in the water and getting a full arm extension.

If you remember I said I have not been able to go over 200 yards at a time. Today I made it 1000 yards with stopping and without feeling overly tired. I was not able to freestyle the entire way. I had to add in a few breast strokes and a couple of lengths I turned on my back and just kicked, but I am so very thankful for all the advice. The sprint tri I have in a month has a 1000 yard swim. Now I know I can do it!! I need to keep working on technique and I want to be able to free style the entire time. After that, maybe I can add some speed (33 minutes for 1000 yards is not fast).

As much as I am looking forward to the tri, I was very nervous about the swim. Thanks to you guys I can now really focus on my training and not have to have a worry in the back of my mind if I can actually make the swim distance.

Thanks again!!

2008-04-17 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1346034

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Blueraiderzone - 2008-04-17 9:16 PM

WOW!! Thanks for all the great advice!!! I went for my swim training today. The 3 main things I focused on (Thanks to the advice from you awesome BT members) was 1) Slowing down my pace..even slower than I was going when I thought I was slow. 2) Instead of bilateral breathing I took a breath every 2nd stroke and I changed the side I was breathing on every lap, 3) Trying to glide in the water and getting a full arm extension.

If you remember I said I have not been able to go over 200 yards at a time. Today I made it 1000 yards with stopping and without feeling overly tired. I was not able to freestyle the entire way. I had to add in a few breast strokes and a couple of lengths I turned on my back and just kicked, but I am so very thankful for all the advice. The sprint tri I have in a month has a 1000 yard swim. Now I know I can do it!! I need to keep working on technique and I want to be able to free style the entire time. After that, maybe I can add some speed (33 minutes for 1000 yards is not fast).

As much as I am looking forward to the tri, I was very nervous about the swim. Thanks to you guys I can now really focus on my training and not have to have a worry in the back of my mind if I can actually make the swim distance.

Thanks again!!

Excellent swimming!!! Congrats on the breakthrough! You will find that 1000 time gets faster each time you do it.  Keep the stroke long and relax!! Good luck in the tri!!

2008-04-17 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1346034

User image

Expert
FL
Blueraiderzone - 2008-04-17 9:16 PM

Thanks again!!

That is awesome.  I had similar gains in a short time period as well.  I would like to warn you though that jumping that much in distance so quickly could lead to an injury.  I did the same and ended up hurting both of my shoulders.  It may not happen to you but better safe than sorry. 

2008-04-17 9:03 PM

Regular
Little Elm
One more piece of advice...make sure you get in some open water swims before your tri. OWS is not the same as pool swims and you really need to get a feel for what to expect before you do the race. Its very easy to blow that off b/c its not as convenient as the pool and people assume its not that much different. Don't make that mistake!

Also, I have found that the first 300-400 is the hardest when training. I'll get past 200 or so and then wonder how I'm ever going to make it the planned distance, but once I get over the hill and get into a good rhythm I feel alot better.

Keep up the good work!

2008-04-17 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1346114

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

rzzqb8 - 2008-04-17 9:03 PM One more piece of advice...make sure you get in some open water swims before your tri. OWS is not the same as pool swims and you really need to get a feel for what to expect before you do the race. Its very easy to blow that off b/c its not as convenient as the pool and people assume its not that much different. Don't make that mistake! Also, I have found that the first 300-400 is the hardest when training. I'll get past 200 or so and then wonder how I'm ever going to make it the planned distance, but once I get over the hill and get into a good rhythm I feel alot better. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I talked to our coach today and he stated that we would swim the course at least twice before the tri. I was very glad about that because, as you stated, everyone has said OWS is a lot different. I am glad that this tri is a staggered start instead of everyone starting at one time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training help needed Rss Feed