General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ready to get going Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-15 11:46 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa, ON
Subject: Ready to get going
Hi everyone.

I'm a 20 year old University student in Ottawa, Ontario, and I've never done a triathlon before, but I'm looking forward to trying it out this summer! I've been pretty athletic all my life and I play fastpitch competitively as well as bike regularly and have recently been doing step classes at the gym. I went in my first 5k run last summer with my Mom and did pretty well. I decided then that if I could do the run part of a triathlon, the rest should be a breeze (yeah right). My mom's a runner, so I've challenged her to compete with me this summer in a triathlon. Now I have to train hard enough to beat her.

I found this website in the fall and have been checking on it every week... it's been keeping me motivated to stay in shape over the winter... (a hard thing when you live in Canada). I'm planning to start the 16 week sprint training program right after final exams in April... the program will end up being 13 weeks long for me, but I'll try to fit a couple of short runs a week throughout the spring. I'm glad to have a website to check out when I'm feeling lazy and unmotivated!

2004-02-15 11:52 PM
in reply to: #7497

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Ready to get going

Welcome to the board Jess.  I wish I was into tri's or any type of road racing when I was 20!  It's great that you're getting into this at such a young age.  Just a warning:  speaking as a mom myself, as much as you want to beat her, she wants to beat you!  Good luck.

Sharon

2004-02-16 5:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Welcome and good luck.

JD

2004-02-16 6:50 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Jess, welcome aboard. I am also from Ottawa and a (part-time university student at Carleton). If you could start a pre-training program before the spring at your universty gym, you could conceivably be ready for the Early Bird Tri at Carleton on May 22.
2004-02-16 11:32 AM

Welcome. Have fun, and let us know how you are doing...
2004-02-16 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Welcome Jess! this is a really good place to find motivation! I am usually on here befor I go work out to get all pumped up!! What races do you have picked out so far? Would love to know. Jack.

2004-02-16 12:13 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa, ON
Actually, the only race that I'm looking at now is the Thunder Bay Triathlon in July (Thunder Bay is home in the summers). I think I have to start off slow so I'm going to do the sprint distance. I'd like to start training soon, but I'm studying Architecture at University and the courseload is huge and requires dedication of time.
2004-02-16 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Congratulations on taking the first step to successful Tri-ing--joining the forum. Best of luck to you.
2004-02-16 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Wow, I wish I would have gotten started when I was 20. That is great! Welcome to the group. I love this site and it keeps me motivated through the challenges. Just stay with it and GOOD LUCK in your studies and in your training.

Lee
2004-02-17 9:51 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Welcome Aye!

Hard your Tri-s and Training goes well Aye!

2004-02-18 6:02 PM

Regular
Ontario
As one crazy Canuk to another (now in Toronto area) I say embrace the winter as a time to hit the gym and work on training that makes the tri much easier come spring!

2004-02-19 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: I hope you get this.............
Hi Jessie,

I TRIED REPLYING TO YOU TWICE, BUT IT KEEPS COMING BACK WITH A MESSAGE THAT THERE IS AN ERROR IN THE ADDRESS???? I even managed to send it to another forum member by mistake.......

When it comes to bike repairs, I have found over the years that most little jobs that need to be done can be done with simple tools and a little patience. For example, one of my clipless pedals was coming apart and I thought I would have to get new pedals. Before taking it in, I removed it from the bike, remove the top plate off and took a look. There are only 4 parts inside it, 2 springs, a tension indicator and the central pin that screws into the body of the pedal. I put everthing back together, tightened the pin and voila, the repair was affected. Had I not been successful, I would have brought it to the bike mechanic at Full Cycle.

You are lucky in that there are quite a few very good bike shops in and around Ottawa to choose from. The BEST of course is GM Bertrand, 167 Wellingotn, in Hull; their "Bertrand" brand bike is made by Marinoni of Montreal. GM Bertrand can also offer expert fitting and custom made bikes. There is also Cicle Bertrand (not the same as GM) at 136 Eddy in Hull which sells a decent custom bike and has (or used to when my brother worked there) excellent mechanics.

A few others: Full Cycle, 427 St Laurent (where I go) has good mechanics, great service.

Pecco's, 86 Murray, I bought my Pecco Eclipse there; good mechanic.

Cycle Logik, 358 Richmond Rd, don't really know much about this one but they sell Cervelo tri bikes as well as tri gear. I will be going over there some time between now and May to look at their one-piece Cervelo triathlon suit.

What kind of bike to you ride? Are you a triathlete and if so, are you entering any competitions here in Ottawa this year? What about the Early Bird on May 22?

Ciao...

Michel

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ready to get going Rss Feed