General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Swim Trianing to Lake Swim Racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-19 9:54 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: Pool Swim Trianing to Lake Swim Racing
Had my first triathlon today and had no worries at all in my biking and swimming areas, but had a little timidness going into the swim. Not from being undertrained in that I am training for a HIM next month and this swim was only 800 yards. Thought it would be a piece of cake. HOLY TOLEDO was I wrong!!!

My time was not off by that much, but I could not get a rhythem going at all. My breathing wasn't working and I pretty much swam with my head out of the water the entire time. The first 50 feet in I tried my normal swimming stroke/breathing and took in a big gulp of lake water! Thought at that point about turning around as it literally scared the crap out of me. After turning over on my back for about 10 seconds to cough it out, I then flipped back over to waddle some more.

Of course this was my first open water swim and I registered for this race in an effort to have one under my belt before the HIM, but now I'm a little concerned just b/c of the extreme difference between swimming in a pool vs swimming in a lake/ocean. I took a lot from today and am analyzing how to do it better next time, but is there anything other than just getting back into the lake/ocean and practicing there that will improve my effort and take away some of the anxiety I now have. I thought I would have less anxiety for the swim on my next race than I did today, but somehow I've now created more.

2008-04-19 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1349357

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Pool Swim Trianing to Lake Swim Racing

you need to do this once a week to get ready:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM&feature=related

kidding. in all seriousness, the number thing you can do is actually practice OWS. other things you can do is practice sighting (which you can do in a pool if you have to). you can also try to swim in a pool with your eyes closed.

the three things i find most disorienting about swimming in open water:

1) you can't see a black T at the bottom to follow, or sometimes you can't see anything at all

2) waves

3) the crowd of people around you

you have to mentally prepare for these 3 things, so that when it happens you don't get the whole, "omg, wtf is happening" response. and you can best control your response to these tings by practicing in open water, or at the very least try swimming with your eyes closed and sighting practice, if you can't get to a lake.

good luck! if you can do pool swims of long distance comfortably, then just getting over OWS stress is totally manageable, i think. it's getting over OWS stress partially because you're not a strong swimmer that's harder.

oh yeah- another thing you can try: there is always "that guy" at the pool who splashes like crazy and creates humongous wake. swim in the lane next to him, or better yet, share his lane . i've gotten plenty of mouthfuls of water in a pool from "that guy" and know that i can recover, so getting it in a lake is not such a surprise and shock.

you can do it!  and congrats on your first tri today!

Edited by lisazapato 2008-04-19 10:41 PM
2008-04-20 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1349383

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
lisazapato - 2008-04-19 11:41 PM

you need to do this once a week to get ready:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM&feature=related

That is hilarious!
2008-04-20 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

I experienced the same thing last year in both of my races.  I'm a decent swimmer in the pool, and did practice a good bit in the OW beforehand.  On race day, I just went braindead BOTH times. 

First, I was caught up in the race and wanted to kill that swim leg.  Not the best strategy, but thats what I tried to do.

Second, I somehow forgot about this little part of swimming call the roll.  Imagine having a little anxiety going then you jump in the water with a couple hundred folks, then you try to swim fast and don't roll.  You end up with a paddle wheel type motion that makes it really hard to grab a breath.

Now that I realize this, I've been practicing like crazy and mentally preparing myself to do much better this time around.  I just have to wait a couple more months before I get to do it in a race. 

Good Luck, You'll get it fixed.  Practice, practice, practice.

2008-04-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1349615

User image

Baton Rouge
I think that this is where I went wrong as well. For whatever reason (probably the lack of OWS practice!) I just didn't realize how big the breathing difference was going to be between the two. The pool you really don't have to roll that much or come out of the water that much to grab a quick breath. I was totally thrown off in the OWS yesterday both from an exhale and inhale standpoint. I never realized how much of a roll you have to get in order to get out of the water and above the waves to grab a breath.

So, do I just look like an idiot in my local pool at the Y and really practice coming/rolling out of the water a lot during my laps to help emulate swimming in the OW?

Any instructional videos out there of swimming in OWS???
2008-04-20 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
First of all, congratulations on finishing your first try. Can you get a group of friends together to practice OWS? That's what we did before my first OWS tri, and it helped a whole bunch. I appreciate your statement about analyzing your swim, because with each tri you do, you can learn so much about yourself, your body, your mental preparedness, and your fitness. Your next one still won't be a breeze, but you'll have more confidence having had this experience.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Swim Trianing to Lake Swim Racing Rss Feed