General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim induced headaches....advice needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-25 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: swim induced headaches....advice needed
Hi all,

I am trying to get back into swimming for longer amount of time. I've noticed that whenever I swim for ten consecutive minutes, I get such terrible, terrible, terrible headaches. The kind that feel like my eyes are being poked out, squeezed, etc... I guess what a migraine might feel like.

BUT, if I swim two to four laps in a row, give my body a long rest, taking my heartrate down below 105... then I get nothing... even if I'm in the pool for 30--40 minutes.

Now, my own advice would be to give myself plenty of rest time between laps and not to swim ten or more consecutive minutes... but this isn't condusive to any for of triathlon swimming or training. Or also take myself back to see my good friend the PT... but I'm tired of going this route.... after two years of therapy, and following all the exercising and the stretches possible, I dont' know what else they can do for me.

I do have neck problems [brought on by a mt. biking accident 2.5 years ago], and i do plenty of warming up and stretching before hand... but feel helpless again with this onset.

Any advice out there that I may be choosing to ignore?

Thanks,

Milly

2004-12-27 11:09 PM
in reply to: #96051

User image

Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: swim induced headaches....advice needed
Hi Milly,
Just a couple of thoughts...
I get huge headaches when I'm slightly dehydrated and excercise (mostly when running, but have gotten headaches in the pool).
Also, I used to get headaches from the goggles I had. I didn't really notice it, but I had them too tight and the pressure would build.
Also, are you breathing enough?
Jason
2004-12-28 2:11 AM
in reply to: #96412

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: swim induced headaches....advice needed
Hey Jason,

I think you're right....it may be something to do with my breathing. Today, I was able to do six straight minutes [i know, doesn't seem like much... but's it's monumental when i don't get the migraine like headaches right afterwards]. I concentrated on going more on the slow side. I did 50 m sets for a total of 40 minutes...but i only tried the consecutive swimming of six min once. wednesday, i'm thinking of trying 8 min consecutive but slow and seeing how it goes. OR do you think i should do 6 min repeats? I guess it's all just trial and error, hoping to avoid the painful errors though.

Whatever be the case, i've signed up for an indoor tri... thus must get myself to swim 10 consecutive mintues without that HORRIBLE headache by January 15th.

i checked my goggles, they're almost too loose .... and the dehydration bit, i make sure to drink at LEAST 3 bottles of water a day [minimum], but i usually surpass this. i know i'm dehydrated when i get leg cramps.... and my head aches are not coming with those.... so it must be my breathing.

thanks for your advice.... i'll also try breathing every two strokes instead of every four. okay, if you think of anything else...just shoot me a line. Thanks again! :0)

Milly
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim induced headaches....advice needed Rss Feed