General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - New and excited tri-trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-12-27 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Subject: Hello - New and excited tri-trainer
I've decided to finally give into my life-long goal of doing a triathalon and in my search for a training schedule I found this site. It is wonderful. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello!

Jenelle

2004-12-27 4:47 PM
in reply to: #96317

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Hello - New and excited tri-trainer
Welcome jenelle!  Good luck in training and meeting your lifetime goal!
2004-12-27 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey Welcome Jenelle!

Congratulations on the hardest step forward.. the decision. This site offers many, many cool things.

Welcome and keep us posted with the progress.... if you're close by the Chicago-land area check out the training calender.... we're trying to get some peeps together for training or racing......

:0)

Milly
2004-12-27 5:13 PM

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Thanks for the Welcome! Yes, I am close to the Chicago area. I'm in Rockford. I'd love to know of any training and/or races in the area. The mini-triathalon that I picked to train for is in Lake Geneva (the Big Foot). Do you know of any other good ones?
2004-12-27 5:17 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
welcome and good luck training!
2004-12-27 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome, looks like theres quite a northern Ill. contingent on here.

Good luck

2004-12-28 2:01 AM
in reply to: #96337

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Rockford... I pass by that exit at least once a week, on my way to aurora for volunteering endevours.

Anyhoo- races... have you checked out the website active.com? or another good resource is the Chicago Athlete magazine... they usually have them at most sports stores.

Fun races... I'd have to say the mini-tri in chicago, usually third week in August... called the Accenture Super Sprint.

My favorite is the Galena one... but that's got some killer hills. To start practicing transitions you should check out the indoor triathlons. I'm signed up for one in Chicago Jan. 15th... they have one or two in Feb, and one in March. I'm not too sure if the surrounding suburbs have these, but maybe you could do a search. I love the city, so will use any excuse to be there.

In case you're interested it's hosted by Union Multiplex. Let me know if you decide to do it, we could get some BT'rs together that day.

Lots of luck, keep me posted! :0)

Milly
2004-12-28 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
hi Jennell, This site is a great resource! Good luck with your training.
2004-12-28 1:36 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Hi Jenelle,

New on this site also and live in Loves Park. Planning on doing the Sprint distance at the Lake Geneva in September and looking for a training partner.

Am 250lbs so running is definately not a setting any land speed records. More like a 10min to 12 min mile. Right now my running partner is a good one....my dog...a mix of pointer and beagle, both are running breeds.

Ty
2004-12-28 2:21 PM
in reply to: #96593

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Hi Ty! Does Lake Geneva have 2 triathalons? I am also doing the sprint distance. This will be my first tri. I've only done a few 5K's and one duathalon. I'm also not a fast runner and right now I am averaging 12 min miles as well. My husband runs with our dog (chocolate lab) but if I try to run with the dog I would be pulled along or the dog would be walking!

So where are you running at? I belong to the YMCA and have been running on the treadmill since I hate running in this cold weather. Maybe if the temp gets above 30 degrees I might run outside on the bike path. That is where I usually run. I'm doing 2 spinning classes a week and swimming one day on the weekend. I just recently found some training schedules on this site and thought I'd try the 2X for 5 months.

Jenelle
2004-12-28 2:24 PM
in reply to: #96427

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois

Milly - Thanks for the great info! I'm not sure if I am ready to do an indoor yet, but maybe in a few months. I know I can do the distances of all three, but not sure about all at once! My first goal is to just complete the mini and maybe after that I will work on being competitive.

Jenelle

2004-12-28 2:34 PM
in reply to: #96615

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hi Jenelle...

I understand completely about the indoor tri thing.... but incase I can change your mind, here's how it works...

It's based on how much distance you can do in:
10 min swim [10 min transition]
20 min bike [5 min transition]
15 min on the treadmill or on the track [depending on the location]

SOOOOOOOOOO- if you're curious on how to do transitions or just wanting a good brick workout I'd suggest the indoor's. plus, for me it's really about the T-shirts... and they give out cool-max long sleeve shirts... ;0)

All right, all the best with the training and keep posting!

Milly
2004-12-28 2:40 PM
in reply to: #96620

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Wow, I didn't realize that it was based on time. That seems do-able. The T-shirt sounds cool too. Where in Chicago is this indoor tri? It does sound like a good idea to help work on bricks. I'm very new to all this so I really appreciate all this great info!

Jenelle
2004-12-28 2:46 PM

Hi J! I am new to this site too...but it seems to be friendly and full of great info. I also have a life-long IM distance dream...good luck and never, ever quit!
Hollie
2004-12-28 2:56 PM
in reply to: #96627

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey Jenelle... glad you seem excited about it... check the site out.

Here's their website... scroll down to "Make history happen in 2005"

http://www.multiplexclubs.com/hsm/news.php

Let me know if you decide to do any of the series. I've signed up for the Jan. 15th one.

Milly
2004-12-29 10:09 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Jenelle,

I run outside near the Indoor Sports Center at Riverside and I-90. Not a lot of traffic to be concerned with. I do let the dog pull me a little bit, just to break through the mental barrier that I can run farther and faster than I think. Otherwise the mutt stays at my pace. The run course is about 3.5 miles and right now done as a run/walk. I do keep track of time just to monitor the overall pace of the run/walk.

Indoor running is at Bally's, but since I'm working on the 'dropping of body chunk' I stick a lot to the eliptical runners in the gym.

Training now is best described as inconsistant. With my wife being pregnant and the baby due in mid-january, I'm scrambling to get out basement finished so in turn we can get the baby's room finished.

What time of day do you usually train? I typically get mine done in the morning as a good jump start to the day but that doesn't always happened as planned and I make it up in the evening.

Take care

2004-12-29 10:27 AM
in reply to: #96843

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Ty,
Yeah, in the summer I was running the loop by the YMCA which is about a 5K (3.1 miles). I trained for the On the Water Front 5K. Since then I have gotten out of my running regiment so I am back to walk/run if I want to do 3 miles.

Sounds like you are busy with your new arrival coming soon! Actually my husband and I have been trying to have a baby for a year now and me deciding to do this mini triathalon is supposed to be a diversion for me. We both needed a break and I figured I should focus my energy on something I won't be able to do when we finally do get pregnant.

I usually train first thing in the morning too, but sometimes after work. I'm also a rower so I'm used to getting up around 5AM. I do the spin class Tues/Thurs. morning but usually run in the evening when its cold. So far I've been swimming on the weekends in the morning. I just picked out one of the training schedules and logged all the workouts in my calendar for the next 6 months. Hopefully this will keep me consistant and on track. I moved it around a bit so I can do my biking in the spin class.

When the weather is nice I like to bike out in Cherry Valley. We'll meet at Baumann park and ride out in the country along River Road. It's about a 15 mile loop with not much traffic and beautiful scenery. Once Spring hits you should meet us out there. We usually go after work about 5PM.
2004-12-30 9:30 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Jenelle,

Since you metion taking off from Bauman Park for bike rides, are you a member of the Lickity Splits tri club in town? I'm a member but hadn't done much last year. Have re-upped the membership but haven't seen any meetings posted on the web page.

Which training program are you using from this site?

I'm incorporating more weight training over the winter and will swim, bike, and run for cardio. Have a bike trainer in my garage I can use to get used to aerobars on my bike.

You run near the YMCA and start biking in Cherry Valley...I hope you live somewhere in the middle. I get to ride the country road out near the Indoor Sports Center. Traffic is manageable.

On the baby topic, I used to joke that's it's all about Practice until conception.

Take care.

Ty

2004-12-30 10:00 AM
in reply to: #97211

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Ty,

I have not heard of the Lickity Splits Tri Club. Can you post their website? Do they get together and train?

I'm doing the Sprint Training Plan 2X (20 Week beginner) although I moved the days around and added an extra 5 weeks to get me to the end of June for the Big Foot. I liked this one because it works in 2 days off a the week and you only double up once per week. Are you doing one of the training schedules from here?

I actually live really close to the YMCA and can walk to the bike path within 5 minutes. It is a bit of a drive to Cherry Valley for biking but it is worth it. I do not like to bike on the bike path by the Y because there are so many people and you can't really get your speed up.

Yeah, I hear you on the practice..... Is this your first baby?

Jenelle
2004-12-30 12:27 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Jenelle,

the Tri club web site is: http://www.rockfordtri.com/

There's a membership enrollment form link on the site. They've held club meetings at the YMCA and Sam's Pizza on Riverside. They post training runs/rides on the club calendar during the warmer months. Runs were starting at Riverside and Perryville, and rides were starting at Bauman Park like you mentioned. They've even done organized swim training at the YMCA.

It's run through Shosie's Cyclery with members as the Prez, VP, Sec., Treas., and such. The owner even put on a bike upkeep workshop as a club meeting.

Beware the baby making. Once the practice is successful, the Doc just might place restrictions on further practice. I can almost qualify as a Monk during this pregnancy. DOH!!! :-( Oh yeah, this is our first.

As for Training...when I get back to being consistant, I'm going to follow the Body for Life workout plan....weight training on mon, wed, Fri and cardio on Tues, Thurs, Saturday (I may move that to Sunday). Will just do the swimming, running, and biking as cardio to keep improving those. Have a bike trainer so I can do that in the garage over the winter.

Do you have a training partner now or are you looking for one?

Ty
2004-12-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: #97298

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Ty- Thanks so much for the link.

Well, I'm sure you are looking forward to the baby coming and less "restrictions"

I do not have a training partner, but would love one! It always makes it easier especially in the winter when it is so hard to stay motivated. Actually, I would love to work in some weight training into my schedule, but haven't figured that out yet. Do you belong to the Y? Where are you planning on swimming? Sounds like we run about the same pace too. I always hated trying to run with my husband because he is 6'6" tall and runs about 8 min. miles which I cannot keep up with. He'd run slower than he's used to and I would run faster then I should have been and I'd hate running by the 1mile mark.

Jenelle

2004-12-30 2:48 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Jenelle,

I belong to Bally's and do the weight training and swimming there. What does a membership run? I looked at the web page and didn't see that listed. If it's reasonable enough, I'd consider a membership there.

my membership at Bally's is about $12/month, but that's only because I've been there more than three years.

I can also be reached at [email protected]

My wife is a pediatrician so I've already been informed it'll be about 6 weeks after childbirth before restrictions are lifted. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-( Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ty
2004-12-30 3:00 PM
in reply to: #97372

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Ty- Well Bally's is a lot more reasonable then the Y. I pay a family rate of $56 a month, but I think individual is about $34/month. It's a bit expensive, but it is right outside my backdoor and on the river. Maybe we could train together when the weather gets a little better and we can run/bike outside. I'd be willing to run outside if the temp was in the 30's or above. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather.

I can understand your frustration with the monk lifestyle although I am on the opposite end of the fence trying to conceive Do you know if you are having a girl or boy?

Jenelle
2004-12-30 3:10 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Jenelle,

Well we found out by accident that it's a boy. The OB did the ultrasound (and forgot to ask if she wanted to know) and said, "Oh look, it's still a boy!" Then felt bad when the wife said she didn't want to know.

I got gift certs for Dick's and Shosie's so I'm looking into some cold weather running clothes....other than traditional long johns and sweatpants. Count me in for morning runs. I can get over to the Y as you at least have a path to run on when it's still dark. You okay if I bring the dog? Like I said, he runs at my pace on a 16' leash so I don't trip over him if he changes direction. As long as I've got time to get I've only got roads....although some are subdivisions where it's safe to run.

How long is the pool at the Y?? 25m or 50m?

Ty

Edited by tupuppy 2004-12-30 3:11 PM
2004-12-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: #97400

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Well that's too bad that the OB ruined the surprise. I personally want to know so I can plan. I'm a bit of a control freak that way though.

I do have some cold weather gear and I really like the non-cotton cool-max stuff. The bike path is pretty nice for running especially during the morning and in the winter because there's not as many people then. Actually I live on National Ave. and it makes a great loop running from the house, over Whitman street bridge, down the bike path, and then over Auburn street bridge and back to my house. It's about a 3 mile loop. My schedule has me running on Wednesday and Sunday with Sunday being my longer run. (Although I could switch Sat. and Sun.'s work outs... I do my long run and long swim on the weekends). Although, the way my schedule is for training, it is based on time and not miles and the long run right now is only 20 min. which would be less than 2 miles for me right now. I don't know about you, but the running is the hardest of the 3 sports for me. I'm more of a plodder. Anyways, it would be great to have a running partner (and dog) for those longer runs on the weekend.

The Y pool is 25M (I think).
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - New and excited tri-trainer Rss Feed  

of 2