General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - New and excited tri-trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-12-30 3:42 PM
in reply to: #96317

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: Hello - New and excited tri-trainer
Jenelle - Thanks for the advice on the non-cotton cool-max clothes. What store would you recommend for the best prices on that?

What time do you do your Sunday run? The wife will most likely be sleeping in and I get up to walk the dog at 6:30 or 7a and was going to take him to the dog park near the Clock Tower. Can just as easily take him on a run.

I do my training mostly on time, 'cept over the summer I was running/walking the 3.5 mile loop and tracking how long it took get to the turnaround point and total time. I'm a plodder too. It takes a bit to warm up and keep 250lbs moving. ;-)

The mission is the get to 210-220lbs and around 10% bodychunk.

2004-12-30 3:54 PM
in reply to: #97417

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Ty - Yes, the non-cotton stuff is a must in the cold weather because it will pull moisture away from your body and keep you warmer and dryer. My husband did a few marathons and taught me all about clothing. I guess cotton can really irritate you on long runs. I'm also in the rowing club (when the river isn't frozen ) and so I have some clothes that will work either way. Dicks has some good prices especially when it is on sale. I like Runner's Image because it is a local store though. They also have sales, but there stuff is definitly a bit more pricey. If you are looking for shoes I would go there though. They really know a lot about that stuff and you can try the shoes on and run down the block or on their treadmill. (sorry, off-topic)

I'm an early bird all week, so 7AM is the latest I'm up any day. If you'd like I can meet you at the Y parking lot by the bike path. What kind of running time are you wanting to do? I'm going to try and stick to this schedule I got from here, which has me only running 20 minutes the first week. It increases each week though.

BTW, I love the dog park, although we usually go to the one on the west side. I have not been to the one by the Clock Tower. How old is you dog? What's his/her name?

I too would like to lose some weight. I'm at about 146 lbs. right now and would love to be 130 lbs. I don't even want to share my body fat % although I can tell myself that its OK because it should help in getting pregnant right?
2004-12-30 4:20 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
I went to Runner's Image in the spring for shoes. Got a 10% discount coupon when I joind the Tri club and liked how the gentleman took the time to make sure I would be wearing the proper shoes to support my caboose.

7am on Sunday works for me and a 20 minute run sounds great. Since I've been inconsistant with the training that's probably all can handle now. Do you warm-up before you get there or do you some walking/running as a warm-up before you start the official 20 minutes?

We adopted Murphy (German Shorthaired Point/Beagle mix) last April from the Humane Society in Janesville. He was about 1.5 to 2 years old, so we just called the day he came home (april 8th) as his 2nd birthday. With the temps being so cold I haven't been able to take him on long walks or running so he has a LOT of pent up energy the needs to be run off. He has the bark of a beagle but the coloring of a pointer....white body with black specks, with a black head where the black splits on his.......oh heck with the description.....I'll try and attach a picture of him here. He's 18 inches at the shoulders and about 35lbs.

Oh yeah, if I'm not at the Y on sunday morning that means the wife went into EARLY labor.

Attachments
----------------
Family Addition.jpeg (28KB - 29 downloads)
2004-12-30 4:43 PM
in reply to: #97442

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Yeah, Runner's Image is great.

We should probably do some walking to warm-up...maybe 5min.?

Murphy is such a cutie! I know my dog Jack would just love to play with him. Jack is 4 yrs old and still a baby. Although, he is about 100 lbs. So, you can see why its hard to run with him because he ends up pulling me. The last time I tried running with him he took off for the grass to pee and I fell onto the sidewalk. My husband likes to run with him though. I'll attach a picture of Jack..... (OK, the file was too big so it wouldn't let me attach the picture....)

Good thing you attached the picture of Murphy so I know who I'm looking for on Sunday.

When's your wife's official due date?

Jenelle

Edited by jenelle 2004-12-30 4:47 PM
2004-12-30 4:51 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
The official due date is jan 18th but women in her family have a history of popping early. She got a 30 min prego massage today at Spa5....maybe that will just start things. ;-) We did the tour of the hospital so I know where I'm going when the day comes. From there I'll need a nurse holding my hand to make sure I'm doing all my responsibilities correctly. :-)

I can understand how a 100lb dog would pull you down the path. DOH!!!!!!!

So far murhpy-dog loves everyone and every dog. He just has to play He's only been to two obedience classes so far and has done wonderful and is a much improved dog than when he came home with us. We'll restart classed for him after the baby comes.

Yeah, you'll spot me easy...tough to miss the mutt. Everyone says he's such a cutie. I asked my wife if when she would walk him if anyone ever said, "Murphy, you've got such a cute owner." No one ever told her that. ;-)
2004-12-30 5:03 PM
in reply to: #97460

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Oooohhh the massage sounds nice! I'm sure she would love to go early at this stage of things.

Jack loves everyone and every dog too. Maybe my husband will be out running with him and Murphy and Jack could meet. Where are you doing the classes at? When Jack was a puppy we took him to forest hills dog training....or something like that. I think it was more training for the owner then anything. It works though!

Ok, now we're really off-topic (lol) I do love dogs though.

Hey, I did email you so hopfully you have my email address now. I asked if you use a heart rate monitor. I've been trying to figure mine out. I got mine a few months ago because I knew I'd need it if I ever got pregnant, but it's supposed to be a really good training tool.

Edited by jenelle 2004-12-30 5:03 PM

2004-12-30 5:11 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
On the Off Topic. Murphy's two classes were at Forest City Dog Training Club. Loves the first instructor, not so much on the trainer of the second class. Work with someone who goes to a trainer in Roscoe and all that person does is train dogs so may switch up training locations for a while.

Two dogs trying to play and run...there's a recipe for tripped up people.

I have a heart rate monitor (last christmas) and got used to it over the year. Looking at trying to really use that to the best benefit. I can swim with it but it tends to slip when I push off the wall.

Do you have a trainer for your bike or just using the spinning classes to improve your biking over the winter?
2004-12-30 5:20 PM
in reply to: #97471

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Yeah, definitly don't want to run and play at the same time!

I was just checking to see if my HR monitor could be used for swimming and I guess it can but you can't push the buttons underwater ?!? I have a fairly cheap one. I think I got it off the internet for $50. Have you figured out where your heart rate should be? I've seen a few different formulas for figuring it out. Also, I think for training purposes you are supposed to stay below 70%? It's really hard for me to do this when running, so I may have to slow my pace even more......

What do you mean when you say "trainer for your bike"? Right now I am just doing the spin classes, but as soon as its warm I plan on biking outside again. Although I am curious what my cadence is and the spin bikes don't tell you this.

Jenelle
2004-12-30 5:25 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
can't push the buttons on the wrist unit while swimming, but I really don't see a need to be pushing anything once it's monitoring things. I've got a Polar brand....will bring it on Sunday.

By bike trainer I mean something you lock the back wheel of your bike into that the tire sits on and you can adjust the tension on your tire and make it easier or harder to pedal. It's good winter bike training for those who don't have access to a spinning class.

I just got aero bars on my bike so I can use the winter to get comfortable riding hunched over.
2004-12-30 5:33 PM
in reply to: #97475

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
I guess that is true.... you don't need the buttons. Mine is a Timex.

The bike trainer sounds like a good idea. How much do those cost? I have the aero bars but have not mastered them yet. My bike was a hand-me-down from a friend.

Well, I'm offline until next Tuesday. I'll see you Sunday morning 7am! Hopefully it won't be too cold!

Jenelle
2005-01-04 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Ty - Did you make it on Sunday? I'm sorry I did not make it. The weather was just cruddy and I was pretty tired from the New Years celebrations. I am such a wimp when it comes to the weather. I hope you got in a good run with Murphy and it wasn't too wet!

2005-01-04 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
me too! Im a newbie... GL on your life long endeavor....

Regards
2005-01-05 5:41 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Jenelle,

Guess you didn't get the email from Monday. I didn't make it either. Not cuz the wife was delivering...was just having sympaty stomach cramps. Hmmmmmmm

Took Murphy on a noon walk and he seems to love the snow. :-))

Since all plans are now beginning or ending with "If the wife isn't in labor," perhaps try and reschedule for this Sunday....also if the weather permits.

I'm putting together a workout program that combine some of the stuff on here with the Body for Life weight training program. Will email that to you if you're interested.

Later.

Ty
2005-01-05 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Holly, Jenelle...welcome!  Seems like you've all got the hang of the site, now latch on to that training...look forward to seeing your progress towards achieving your goals...Rick
2005-01-05 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
And there are going to be a bunch of us in town in Oct to run the Chicago Marathon...can we talk you into it?  If not the marathon, maybe the half or the relay?  Think on it, might be phun...
2005-01-06 10:06 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
RICK,

If the mileage is up to about 8 miles, then I'd consider the relay.

Ty

2005-01-06 10:25 AM
in reply to: #99340

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Well I'm a total lame-o. I did not get your email, but I also don't have my computer at home hooked up to the internet so I wouldn't have gotten it anyways. I just log on from work which is only Tues.- Friday. We might be going skiing this weekend since we got all this snow, so not sure if this Sunday is going to work either. That, and the weather has definitly turned for the worse as far as running is concerned. We may have to put off the outside runs until the weather clears a little bit.

I'd love to see what you have for the body for life weight training program. I really need to start on some weight lifting. I have a friend that likes to lift and I think I might get together with her on Mondays.
2005-01-06 10:55 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
The program is attached here.

Weeks -8 thru -1 are used to build up to the running, since that's my weak spot, that kicks in on Week 1.

I am starting this program on Monday, unless of course the baby is coming then.

Go to www.bodyforlife.com and click on the EXERCISE tab at the top, then click EXERCISE JOURNALS on the side and there are some spreadsheets and a PDF file you can download to get an idea of how the weight training is set up. Otherwise if you have any questions, let me know.

If you haven't used the Private Message feature here yet, look at the top left of the screen, under your log in name and click on INBOX.

Later.

Ty

Attachments
----------------
BFL - Couch to Sprint -- 20 Week.xls (19KB - 29 downloads)
2005-01-12 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Ty-

I have tried PMing you 2 different times and they are just stuck in my outbox. Not sure what is going on. Hopefully you will get them soon. I tried PMing Ron about it, but that one is stuck in the outbox too, so not sure what to do.

Hope your training is going well!
2005-01-12 5:36 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
It's all good, they got delivered. :-)
2005-01-12 5:43 PM
in reply to: #102725

User image

Regular
Rockford, Illinois
Yay! Just wanted to say I sent you another one but if you don't get it for a few days, Congrats!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - New and excited tri-trainer Rss Feed  

of 2