General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems Pumping Up a Presta Valve Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-23 11:41 AM

Massachusetts
Subject: Problems Pumping Up a Presta Valve
Wow...lots of "P's" in that title. Don't recite it out loud with a mouth full of crackers...

Anyhoo, thanks to Bear, I bought one of the Javelins. I'm more or less a road bike newbie, and it's my first time with a Presta valve. I was hoping somebody could tell me if I'm doing something wrong in pumping up my tires.

Here is my typical sequence when I pump the tires:
1. Remove the cap, loosen the lock nut, and depress the lock nut to let some air out
2. Screw the brass adapter onto the Presta valve, put the pump end on the brass adapter in the "straight" position, then lock it down into the "L" position.

Now, here's where the problem comes in:
When I pump, eventually I get to the point where I can't force any more air into the valve, and the pump end "pops" off.

So my question is, is this normal? The tires aren't quite as hard as I believe they could be, so I think I should be able to force a bit more air into them. Is there something I am/am failing to do that is creating this "pop"?

Edited by dogfacedgremlin34 2008-04-23 11:41 AM

2008-04-23 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1356937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: Problems Pumping Up a Presta Valve

First, it's really helpful to have a pump with a guage on it that measures the pressure in the tires.  I do the "full by feel method" when I get a flat on the road, but I'm pretty religious about using the guage when I'm at home.  A newer pump might let you avoid having to have an adapter at all since they typically have both Schrader and Presta connectors, unless you're having to use an extender or crack pipe for certain wheels.

I've never had a pump "pop off" - in fact, I don't think it should, but I might just not be familiar with your specific model, etc.  I have had problems depending on the tube that's being used though.  If the tube is smooth (no grooves or threads), my pump won't engage properly and I catch hell trying to pump it up.  I solved this by only buying tubes that have threads.  Of course, that's for clincher tires....have to find someone smarter if you're using tubular. 

Now that you've purchased a new bike, I'm here telling you to get a new pump...more money.  Sorry!

At least you can get them pretty cheaply:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000106&subcategory=60001075&brand=&sku=7625&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Floor%20Pumps

2008-04-23 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Use two hands or get assistance. One to hold the pump end secure, the other to pump.
2008-04-23 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

Are you sure that you're pump locks in the "L" position?  My floor pump is unlocked when the lever is down and locked when the lever is up.

Why do you need an adaptor?  Can your pump actually handle road tire pressures?  These are significantly higher than mountain or commuter tire pressures.

2008-04-23 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1357046

User image

Master
daijoubu - 2008-04-23 10:12 AM

Are you sure that you're pump locks in the "L" position?  My floor pump is unlocked when the lever is down and locked when the lever is up.

Why do you need an adaptor?  Can your pump actually handle road tire pressures?  These are significantly higher than mountain or commuter tire pressures.

I tend to agree that your thought on the locked position is wrong.

2008-04-23 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1357079

Massachusetts
idahodan - 2008-04-23 12:20 PM

daijoubu - 2008-04-23 10:12 AM

I tend to agree that your thought on the locked position is wrong.

Whoops, sorry folks, I "mistyped". The locked position is the straight position. Need more coffee.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. peby, it's funny you mention two sets of hands...the one time I was truly successful in pumping up my tires was when it was a two person operation. I was hoping to avoid that if at all possible.

Sounds to me like I just have to figure out how to outwit my bike pump.

FOLLOW UP: I bought this pump at Target, and just looked it up now on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000OMRR1Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_he...

I wish I looked it up on amazon before I bought it. 7 of the 10 reviews give it one star, and one commenter states:

"You need three hands and two feet to use it because the nozzle pops off the valve."

Oh well, caveat emptor I guess. At least I don't feel so stupid now. I guess that'll be ANOTHER bike pump in my immediate future...

Edited by dogfacedgremlin34 2008-04-23 1:28 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems Pumping Up a Presta Valve Rss Feed