General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hints 4 long runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-28 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: Hints 4 long runs?
In Jan. I'm planning on doing a 13 mile run once every week for that month. The longest I've been comfortable running so far without water or food intake was 6 miles (under 8min/mile pace)...so how do I do it for 13 miles?

My goal is to keep under 8min/mile pace so I want to go light. I'm going to take a small bottle of hammer gel so I've got the food intake covered. How about water on the go?

2004-12-28 1:14 PM
in reply to: #96573

Subject: RE: Hints 4 long runs?
Casey, I wouldn't just jump from 6 to 13 miles. It's best if you build to that level. If 6 is the longest, then next week try to go 7 or 8 and the same the next week. Gradually build until you feel comfortable, if you want to avoid injury (and I'm sure you do) you should only increase your mileage by no more than 10% a week.
I would recommend a couple of weeks at 7-8 miles, then jump up a mile or two a week until you get to 13. And I also wouldn't worry too much about the time. They call in Long Slow Distance for a reason, enjoy it, don't crawl but don't worry about speed. Save that for your tempo runs.
2004-12-28 1:19 PM

User image

1. Pack a little water on a Fuel Belt or something similar (4 bottle ones are much less bouncy than 6 bottle, but either one can be annoying).
2. Try running with a bike bottle in one hand... can be annoying.
3. Stash full water bottles along the way when its empty and pick it up later.. takes lots of extra time.
4. Pack a twenty and stop for a gatorade... depends on your course
5. Public drinking fountains, etc.... depends on your course

2004-12-28 1:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
If your question is about getting fluids during your run:

Park your car near an intersection. Run east 1.5 miles and return to the intersection. Repeat for south, west and north. That way you have a fueling station, your car, every three miles. Carrying water is a pain.

It's not real clear, but I hope you're not going from 6 mile runs to 13 mile runs in one jump.
2004-12-28 2:21 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
yes, cautions to jumping up on the mileage...really you should build for 2 weeks, then back off a week....so, 1st long run 7, next one 8, next one 6, next one 9, next one 10, next one 7...it takes a bit...also, your long runs should be about 1-2 minutes slower than your desired race pace...so if you would race a 1/2 marathon (13.1miles) at an 8 minute mile, you should really run your lsd at about a 9 minute mile...
2004-12-28 2:23 PM
in reply to: #96583

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
iTRI - 2004-12-28 1:19 PM

4. Pack a twenty and stop for a gatorade... depends on your course

20 bucks for gatorade? Sounds a little expensive to me :-)

2004-12-28 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Casey

Try a fuel belt with a 20 oz bottle on it. As an alternate, camelbak makes a 45oz pack that you wear around your waist. (I have one). You don't necessarily have to fill it all the way up if you feel you don't need that much fluid for 13 miles. Based on my experience, I can easily go through almost 45 oz in 13 miles. You get used to the weight of it, and it doesn't really bounce, and don't really notice it after a mile or so

Chris
2004-12-28 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hi Casey,

I did exactly what you plan to do. I jumped from 10K to 20K runs. The only advice I can offer about the run is this: Coasting speed, like a recovery run the whole way nice and slow. I try to fit in a couple a month now. Up here I have the advantage of running in really cold weather so dehydration is not much of an issue. Personally I wouldn't worry about food. It is only a 2 hour run you won't really HAVE to have calories. Water is a must though. I have found carrying a water bottle and shifting it from hand to hand during the run is the most effective so far, but I just got a hydration belt for Xmas so I will give that a try on Friday my last long run of the year.

Good luck.
2004-12-28 4:06 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/ULD0002/large/c3/s5/Ultimat...

I use one of those. I'm thinking of picking up another so I can have one with a sports drink and one with water. The little pocket will hold a couple of gels without a problem. It will take a run or two to get used to it.
2004-12-28 4:29 PM

User image

Master
I have never run 13 miles, but when its hot I cary a water bottle in a lumbar pack. it wont bounce much, and they make small ones that will fit a bike waterbottle. Bonus is that you can carry a couple of cliff bars. 8-) Hope this helps... Check out REI .com trail runners use the allot.
2004-12-28 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Thanks for the quick reply's...more are welcome!!!

Also, thanks for worrying about me going from 6-13 but I really feel that I am properly listening to my body. This last month I did 2-a-day's and sometimes 3&4-a-days and everything went really good except for the fact that I had a hard time making my pace goals. If at some point in my run I don't feel like things are going good I can always stop and call for a pick-up. The important thing for me is to be able to finish the distance...the time/pace is only a goal. fyi...increased miles to about 75 miles for this month while previous highest month was only 54 miles.

So nutrition for 13 miles isn't that big of a deal? I thought I was skimping by with hammer gel...but no?

2004-12-28 6:02 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
13 miles is about a two hour workout. I wouldn't worry about the nutrition so much as you can eat when you are finished. Hydration is a different matter altogether. I can't go more than an hour without wanting some water. It's not a bad idea though to use your 13 mile runs to figure out what you would like to use for your race.
2004-12-29 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Slightly off topic, but I would suggest you run for 9 minutes, then walk for 1 minute, and keep repeating throughout your run. This will give you time to drink and 'rest' for a moment. I've been a runner for a long time, and had not done this much, but I ran with a group while visiting relatives this weekend, and this was their practice. I think it really helps by giving your muscles a chance to relax and stretch. Since you are jumping upfairly drastically in distance, this approach may make that jump a little easier.

Good luck,
Mark
2004-12-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: #96811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Hi Casey,

I just did my long run of 21km tonight.  I hate carrying things as I to think it is a pain.  My solution.  I bought a gel flask, I think it's only about 4 ounces, it's very small and comfortably fits in the palm of your hand.  What I do is actually fill that with gatorade and carry a Power Gel in my other hand.  At the half way mark I rip open the power gel, have that, and then wash it down with the 4 ounces of gatorade.  I know this isn't enough fluid for this distance, but at the moment (winter), I can get away with it.  Especially if you make sure that you are well hydrated before you walk out the door.

By the way, after I finish I simply roll the gel pack up and put it inside the bottle so as to not litter.  However as I said, this works for me now, but I know when the warmer weather kicks in I'm going to have to use a Fuel Belt or some other device which I haven't yet decided on.

Anyway, good luck with the longer distance, and as has been mentioned numerous times already...take it easy, we don't want you getting hurt!!

Travis

2004-12-29 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

There is a really good chance you will hurt yourself if you make this kind of jump with no more mileage than you are putting in now.

I say this because I did exactly that back when I first started running. (begin cautionary tale)I was up to 100 miles a month after running for about a year and decided to train for a marathon. I had no plan except to jump in and start putting in miles (adding 1 mile a week to my long run starting at 10 miles) I also tried to keep my pace at about 1 min. per mile slower than my 5k race pace at the time. Oh, yeah and I did all my long runs on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
About 6 weeks into this non-plan I tore a calf muscle and could barely walk much less run. I was 4 weeks off from running altogether, and 3 months before I could run 10k without pain.
The non-plan was a failure, a failure in the mode of the classsical Greek tragedy, my downfall was caused by my own hubris, too much too soon, not enough rest, pushing the pace all the time, and not listening to my body. (end cautionary tale)

The upshot of this is that I then began road biking to keep some fitness.

I am now getting ready to do my first marathon. I am using Hal Higdons plan. I'm using the beginner plan because I did not back off on my bike and swim training either. Back In a day,I scoffed at this plan because it looked...well...slack. It's not

By all means increase your mileage, but ease up on making huge jumps in mileage all at once. There's a big jump in difficulty when you break into double digit distances. Please be careful.

good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hints 4 long runs? Rss Feed