General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for non-swimming swimming exercises. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-25 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Hillsboro, Oregon
Subject: Looking for non-swimming swimming exercises.

Hi, Im looking for some exercises that will make me a better swimmer without actually swimming. Right now my schedule and pool accessibility is preventing me from going more than once a week. I just came back from the pool, did 150 yards in just under 3.5 minutes. Yes lots of work to get to 400 yards in a decent time.

So I need some info, are there any exercises that I can do outside of the pool that will improve my swimming endurance/time/technique? 

thanks. 

2008-04-25 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1362622

Subject: RE: Looking for non-swimming swimming exercises.

Someone posted a question about this in the strength forum recently - you should check it out.

-Danielle

2008-04-25 10:36 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Situps,pullups,pushups. All three are probably the best exercises for swim strength and the most basic of exercises, you dont need a fancy gym or routine, these will work.
2008-04-25 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1363173

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Any strength exercise that works the triceps...
2008-04-26 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
Hillsboro, Oregon

Thanks for the info/advice. I guess I sold myself short on my distance the other day.Im looking at a tri on June 1st and didnt think that I could get ready for it. After reading a bit more on swimming,  I might be able to get to 400-500 yards before then.

Im going to start adding strength exercises to the routine. Thanks again. 

2008-04-27 7:08 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, etc are great all around exercises. Any core strengthening will help not only your swimming but everything else too. Here are a couple very swimming specific dryland activities that will help your swimming.

Band Training

Core Work 

Another thing I used to do and I had my HS swimmers do is to "swim" in front of your bathroom mirror. Bend at the waist and do the front crawl in front of the mirror. Look at your hand entry, it should be directly in front of your shoulder. "Catch" with a high elbow as your other arm starts to recover. You can see your body rotate when your arm is recovering and you can see how stretching your hand during the entry and rotating  gives you a longer finish with the opposite hand. After a few minutes of doing this you will also see that it's a pretty good shoulder strengthening exercise as well.

Good luck!! 

2008-04-27 9:49 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Since distance swimming is not about strength but technique and endurance doing pull ups, push ups, triceps, etc won't help you for swimming. Land drills with an elastic band to is a great way to replicate the catch and pull as it will help you develop muscle memory (you don't do it for strength). Another one is using a long stick/tube to ‘paddle’ is another great land drill for muscle memory to replicate the recovery phase and imprint the correct arm position for the pull. Finally, practicing your stroke next to a mirror from the front and side are also great ways to imprint proper stroke form.

here you'll find examples: http://goswim.tv/entries/s/1/drills.html?page=2 you might need to do some digging around but I am sure they have the land drills, at least they used to. Still, you'll get tons of videos to work on your techique, that will make you faster!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for non-swimming swimming exercises. Rss Feed