General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » back after 20 year layoff....things have changed Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-25 7:49 PM

New user

Subject: back after 20 year layoff....things have changed
Well here I am after almost a 20 year layoff. I started competing in triathlons in 1986 after having seen the Ironman on TV. You remember the video of the women competitor (can't remember her name) (maybe Julie?) that fell just before the finish line and she was so wobbly she crawled across. I participated till about 1990 but gradually moved back to just running which i have done consistently for 30 years. I will be participating in a sprint tri in Jacksonville FL in July but would like to do a half ironman this fall. I am running 6 to 10 miles a day now but having to retrain my self in swimming and biking. My bike is a 23 year old Battaglin with a campy groupo on it designed around serious cycling. I bought it used back then cause they didn't have tri bikes. I just spent $250 fixing it so i could ride again. Not sure if I will invest in a new bike or not but certainly not before the sprint. Oh well I guess my biggest concern is having a flat 20 miles out and riding tubular tires. Anybody got any suggestions on riding tubulars. I never flatted in any races or training so I never had to change. I just purchased new tires about every 6 months and the bike shop fixed it. I had more money than sence back then. Thinking about hitting Craigs list for used "newer" bikes with clinchers. 

2008-04-26 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1362972

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: back after 20 year layoff....things have changed

Welcome to the group, Lee.

I have a classic old bike with tubulars, too.  You are just lucky never having to replace a tire on the road.  It isn't a problem.  The experts say it is a bit faster to replace a tubular than a clincher.  You need a pre-stretched, pre-glued tire.  Just peel the old one off and put the new one on.  Put it on without fresh glue and ride a bit easier on the way in.  You might roll the tire off the rim if you corner too hard.  It helps to practice changing a tire at home to get faster.  But if you have a flat in a sprint, you can forget about your finishing time.  Just get the flat fixed and finish the race with a smile.

I am guessing from the training mileage and the time span you have been running that you are going to take to this triathlon stuff pretty quick. I predict a fancy new bike is in your future.

TW

2008-04-28 10:09 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Welcome back into the sport.  A HIM later this year shouldn't be a problem considering your strong and current background in running.  Though you do have to start swimming soon to buildup that endurance.

Good luck ramping up that triathlon training.

2008-04-29 4:29 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
welcome aboard and good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » back after 20 year layoff....things have changed Rss Feed