General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tires question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-26 9:35 PM

User image

Subject: New tires question...

Okay, so I got a pair of Micheling Pro2's for race day.  Question is, how much "breaking in" do they need?  Meaning, I have a stock tire on the front and a gator ultra on the back for training.  I'm renting 404's for a race on May 17th.  Should I put the Michelins on my training rims for a couple of weeks, or would it be fine just to put the Pro2's on the 404 rims the day before the race, go for a light 5k ride to make sure they are okay, and then they'll be good to go on race day? 

p.s. The course I'm racing has some nasty downhill turns, will the tire grip and perform the same if not broken in?

Thanks.

2008-04-27 6:22 AM
in reply to: #1364096

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: New tires question...

I switched from GatorSkins to Michelin Ironman tires (similar in profile to the Pro2's) a year or so ago.  Simply put, you're going from a treaded to a non-treaded tire.  I found that while the Michelins are faster in a straight line, they don't do as well on tight curves, especially in wet or damp conditions.  I scared myself a couple of times in fast turns in the wet until I got used to them.  I suggest you ride on the new tires to get a feel for their handling characteristics before racing on them, particularly if you're racing on a technical course.

Tires really don't need to be broken in per se, but it is wise to ride newly mounted tires and tubes to make sure there aren't any problems like pinch flats, etc.  Speaking from experience, changing tubes in a dark transition area while holding a flashlight in your teeth is not the best way to start a race day. 

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tires question... Rss Feed