General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Complete Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-28 3:58 PM

Regular
Poplar Bluff, MO
Subject: Complete Newbie

I stumbled upon the site last week and I decided to jump in with both feet.

My story is your basic, my life has been a trainwreck...out of shape, poor eating habits...you know the song and dance.

The only experience I have with endurance training is this story:  Sitting around one night drinking beer and eating chicken wings some of my buddies bet me that I would not enter and finish a half-marathon...never ever bet me that I won't do something (especially with 6 or 12 beers in me).  Mind you at the time, I weighed about 375 and had never ran a step (not one----ever).  I took their bet and I did it.  I did enter, I did run and I did finish...however I am sure that two turtles and four great-grandmas with walkers and canes finished before I did.

Moving the story up a couple of years, divorce and general apathy had put back all of the weight that I lost while running, so I had Lap-Band surgery done in October of 2007.  So far I am the happiest I have ever been with my wieght and training.  However I was looking for a challenge of some sort to motivate me....gyms get boring without having something I am looking forward to doing at the end.  I was thinking about another half-marathon but if you have ever been to Missouri in the middle of the summer, you know that the humidity and heat are horrid, so maybe I will do that in the fall.  What to do in the meantime, my wife suggested a triathlon.  I looked at her like she had lost her damn mind.   But a couple of days of searching and thinking I decided that I can do this as well.

So my goal is to be ready for a sprint in Republic, MO on August 23, 2008.  I am determined.  I will do this.

If you are still with me through this winding tail...Wow. 

Thanks

Eric

2008-04-28 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1367518

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Complete Newbie
Hey Eric!

Welcome to the site, glad you discovered BT, it's a wealth of great information, support and motivation! Will take you quite a while to sort through all of the links and plans etc. on here, but you can take it at your own speed.

August 23 will come sooner than you think, but you can certainly achieve your goals with flying colours. I will warn you though... triathlon is a bit of an addiction!

Looking forward to following you on your journey.

Erin
2008-04-28 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Hey Eric WELCOME to BT...you came to the right spot...BT is a wealth of information and some tremendous people too! I joined in December of last year...was a smoker, weighed 40+ lbs then I do now, and just competed in my first tri....when I first joined BT, I jumped on a mentors team...you will find them in the forums tab..at the top of your training blog....and then if you are up to challenging yourself, I suggest the challenge forum. This upcoming month is a brick or race challenge. Great way to meet others! Make sure not to be shy....hop right in and ask questions...you will get many responses! take them and run, bike and swim...and good luck in your tri in August...You have plenty of time to train for that!!
2008-04-28 8:17 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Welcome to BT! It's a great place with great people. You're going to do great!
2008-04-28 9:15 PM

New user

auab

Welcome to B.T.  Should I dare you to race Aug. 23? : ) Seriously, I have learned so much in the little over a week I have been a member and I am having a blast. I wish I would have found out about this site a little earlier.  Work hard and you will be crossing the line 23 Aug as a triathlete. I will find out in Sept. after deployment what that feels like.

Happy training bro.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Complete Newbie Rss Feed