General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-29 4:32 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: Wetsuit help

Hi I am doing my first triathlon in June, the Blenheim sprint.

The swim is 750m in the lake so wetsuits are compulsory. I am planning to use my surfing wetsuit as I have spent too much on kit already. I know this is not reccomended compared to a proper tri wetsuit but I wanted to know if others have done this and how did it go.

Also I have been doing race distance in the pool in 16 minutes and expect to have this down to 15 minutes by race day. what sort of time can I expect given the extra bouyancy from the wetsuit versus restricted movement and open water.

thanks

Dave

2008-04-29 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1368477

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Wetsuit help

I've never had a surfing wetsuit and know nothing about them.  But, I found an old waterski wetsuit in my attic and tried it out because it had short arms and short legs.   I found it to be extremely uncomfortable as I rotated my arms for swimming.  It just wasn't made for it.

So I'd say you need to do 2 things.  First put it on and see how it feels while rotating arms like you're swimming.  And, second, figure out if it either isn't that bad or whether you can just tough it out for 700m (which isn't too long).  You can probably put up with just about anything for 15 minutes.

2008-05-01 3:03 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Take it to a lake or even a pool now. Even if you look silly, its better to try it out and see how it works.

I find surf suits extremely difficult to swim in. The buoyancy and warmth are fine. Can't move my shoulders in a swimming motion for shite.
2008-05-01 5:35 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Thanks for the advice. having tried the suit on and swung my arms around pretending to swim I am going to hire a proper tri wetsuit. I probably could have used the surf one but would have been exhausted and I figure it will be tough enough without that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit help Rss Feed