General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear derailer cable problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-29 11:54 PM

User image

Silverdale, WA
Subject: Rear derailer cable problems
So, being curious and oblivious of instructions I have managed to disconnect my rear derailer cable. I was having problems keeping tension on the large rear cog and tried to tighten the overall cable instead of using the adjustment screws. The crimp was very poor and I now have a loose (not currently connected or ran to derailer) and frayed rear derailer cable. The end is frayed and I have a couple of loose threads of cable, what is my next step to getting back to riding?

I have gotten all threads of the cable run back to the holding screw once, but I was left with a cable that was rather slack and dropping two cogs instead of one. I tried again and then decided I was messing this up further. I am about ready just to take it in and get the cable replaced, but hold out some hope to being able to overcome how dumb I am sometimes.

I think I can get everything connected again especially if I can crimp the end of the cable first.
It is only about the first half inch that fraying is a problem besides two strands of cable. This should be easy overall, any ideas?

2008-04-30 6:33 AM
in reply to: #1371291

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Rear derailer cable problems

Assuming the derailleur was properly adjusted before you started monkeying around, it's  as simple as loosening the nut, pulling all the slack out of the cable and then retightening it as you keep tension on the cable.

BUT...since it was apparently out of adjustment to start, you'll need to adjust the limit screws. This explains how.

2008-04-30 7:45 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Find the instructions for read derailleur installation at shimano.com and dig into the technical sections. Follow those instructions exactly. Also, drop the $5 and buy a new cable. Sounds like you've frayed the ends and once they are frayed, those little threads will continue to unwind and cause friction in the housing. You get much better performance from a cable in good condition.

I'm assuming STI shifters here. Bar ends aren't that different. To get the cable out, flip up the hoods. Squeeze the lever a little bit and push the cable out until you see the stop. Remove the cable and replace carefully with a new, lightly greased cable. Then those instructions from Shimano will help you get it installed and adjusted.
2008-04-30 9:34 AM

User image

Silverdale, WA
Thanks for the information, going to run a new cable FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS.

Rick
2008-04-30 9:38 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis

I think you are attacking the problem backward. If it wont stay in the large rear cog, your limit screws need adjustment (most likely). Its probably that it isnt moving far enough toward the rear cog to hold the chain in place.

I really reccommend reading the derailieur page from www.sheldonbrown.com he does a great job of instructing how to adjust them.

2008-04-30 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Did you always have problems w/ keeping the chain running on the largest cog? If so, then you will likely need to adjust the L-limit screw by turning it counter-clockwise. Only turn the screw 1/4 turn or so each time when adjusting/testing. Note: once the limit screws are set, there is no need to really ever adjust them again. Assuming the shop (or wherever you got the bike from) did this properly setup, not sure why the limit screws would be the issue.

If you've just started having problems, then it is likely your cable tension. Cable tension is corrected using the barrel adjusters (the knob-looking thing that your cable housing runs in to in the derailleur). Turn the barrel counter-clockwise if you're having trouble shifting up into larger cogs (this tightens the cable). Do not use the limit screws to adjust cable tension.

Personally, I'd start w/ the cable tensioning first and see if that corrects the problem. If you've tightened the cable to the point where it no longer shifts down into smaller cogs very good and you still can't get the chain to seat on the largest cog, then give the L limit screw a look-see.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear derailer cable problems Rss Feed