General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike vs. Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-30 5:02 PM

Sycamore, IL
Subject: Road bike vs. Tri Bike
Last summer I bought a Trek 2000, a decent road bike. This coming summer I have several triathlons planned, sprint and
olympic distances. Unfortunately, I can't really turn around now and buy a tri bike. How much of a disadvantage will I be at
with the road bike? I understand because of the geometry of the road bike, the transition to running will be a bit tougher. I
could put aero bars the road bike, but it may affect handling as the long top tube really isn't accomodating to aero position.
I guess I'll just have to pedal my road bike like hell! Does anyone have any thoughts or success with converting a road bike to
somewhat of a tri bike? Thanks.

2004-12-30 5:08 PM
in reply to: #97467

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Road bike vs. Tri Bike

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

You may be short of "ideal" but you won't be at much of a "disadvantage." You'll lose some efficiencies in aerodynamics and stroke, but what other options do you have? In most cases a road bike is perfectly sufficient.

Edited by the bear 2004-12-30 5:11 PM
2004-12-30 5:12 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
I have a road bike and like yourself I have several races planned this year with my season starting off with a half IM. Honestly, I don't think the bike is going to make much of a difference. For sprint and oly distance races, you might shave at best a couple minutes off of your ride. I would concentrate on other areas and look to the hardware upgrades last. I'm planning on getting a tri-bike at the end of this season and that's only because next year I'm doing a full IM where over a five hour ride I think I can save quite a bit more time than I would on a road bike.

Just my $.02

2004-12-30 5:30 PM

User image

Ontario, Canada
I agree... I've been racing a road bike the last few years and my times have been quite respectful. I'm an ex-roadie so that is where I'm most comfortable. This coming year I'm doing a 1/2 ironman so I may upgrade they wheels. The following year I would like to do an ironman so that's when I will upgrade to a tri specific bike. If you like to do club rides they will not let you use your tri bars so the road bike is definitely handy. Having both would be ideal.

Cheers!

Edited by roadpro 2004-12-30 5:35 PM
2004-12-30 5:32 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
So what races are you doing this year??? Maybe I'll see you around!
PS I think your bike will work out just fine for now... Maybe race it in a couple of races and see if you think you need to make any adjustments. You're gonna feel funky going from the bike to the run anyway... I guess it's just the degree of funkiness... The aero position (on a true tri bike) allows you to use different muscles while pedaling, so your legs aren't quite as cashed before the run... I cannot comment on this, as I've yet to try a tri bike... but hope to do so this winter.
OK, Happy New Year...
LW
2004-12-30 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a great road bike that fits me to a T, but when I tried to aerobar it, I was miserable. So I've been kind of the opinion that being comfortable and hammering will be better than being uncomfortable and aerodynamic, since I can't really justify that new RED Felt.

2004-12-30 10:15 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I don't think it really matters what kind of bike your on. Its the person on it that makes the difference. I got passed by people on tri bikes and I passed plenty of people on tri bikes. Some people spend a ton of money on a tri bike thinking it will make a huge difference when all they got was a bike that did the same thing, got them somewhere as fast as they could pedal it. You can change your seat post and put aerobars on it to make it more tri like but I think if you train hard enough you can make up any difference.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike vs. Tri Bike Rss Feed