General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental toolbox for IM racing and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-05-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1376220

Subject: RE: Mental toolbox for IM racing and training
I don't know if you can really read about mental issues that other people have had and expect to have the same ones, or know how to deal with them.  Everyone is different.  Every situation is different. 

I imagine it's kind of like giving birth.  I can ask as many people as I want about what giving birth is like, and I can prepare to my best ability, but there's really no substitute for my own personal experience.  Maybe this is a weird analogy, but my point is that worrying about it months in advance is going to make you stir-crazy (and make the task seem more daunting than it is).  Just get out there, get the training in, do your practice sessions.  On race day, just GO.

2008-05-02 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas

This a good question and one I have thought about during both my IM's.  Where does mental toughness rank amoungst s/b/r and nutrition?  I dismissed mental toughness after my first IM cause I had such a great time (95% positive, 5% negative).  IM#2 was just the opposite (IMAZ April '08).  I was not prepared for the conditions that we experienced and once I adapted physically, I was done mentally.  So, here is my take on this topic:

1.  Don't under estimate or take for granted the distance and effort needed to finish.  Be prepared physically and mentally.   That comes with training on both.  Don't quit during training.  Learn what was hard and make it a lesson for later.  If you do cut a session short, write it down with all the reason why.  Then go back later and see if your mind tricked you into stopping.  Could you have kept going?  Remember that and use it against yourself the next time your brain is giving convincing reasons to stop.

2.  Definately understand why you are out there.  Keep going back to that reason when things get tough. 

3.  Stay calm and relaxed.  Don't be afraid to stop for a moment and gather your thoughts.  I have seen this time and time again.  Just watch any Kona video where the eventual winner got a 4 minute penalty and then came out and won the race.  I should have stopped on the run course in Arizona for 2-3 minutes and just gathered myself.  Instead I had this incredible feeling that I had to keep moving forward or I would end up like all the people sitting in Medical.  3-4 minutes in an IM is nothing (unless you are trying to qualify or place). 

2008-05-02 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

"A thousand perfectly fine reasons to stop don't stand a chance against one really good reason to keep going."  -me

Make sure you know what is your one really good reason to keep going.

2008-05-02 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Cappy your right..we are all different and I'm hoping your wrong and I still have time to dial it all in.  Up to now it's been easy.  These back to back long workouts and bricks this week are killing me.  Last night's run was tough.  I talked to myself through the tough parts and plodded along.  I have a feeling I'll be doing that several more times in the next three weeks before I hit taper.

Thanks for the other ideas guys.  Whatever I can practice with now will make the day more enjoyable. Suzanne, our times are pretty close....I'll meet up with you on the run and we can make up stories about everyone.  Be warned when I'm tired and cranky they won't all be Mary sunshine ones. LOL....

Waterdog...I like the paper idea and will put it in my special needs bag on the run. 

Edited by tri-chic 2008-05-02 12:49 PM
2008-05-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1377262

User image

Master
New Jersey
Cappy - 2008-05-02 8:18 AM

NOTE: This is NOT a jab against Kathy! Really!

Seriously, and this goes for everyone, if you are 2 months 2 weeks and 4 days out from your IM and you haven't figured out what to put in your mental toolbox by now, you are in serious trouble! Especially since 1 of those 2 months should be your taper…

It’s probably just me but I don’t see where smiling and saying “hi” and stuff like that is going to help when you are 15+ hours into a race, your tired, hurting like hell, and want to be anywhere but out on the course.

I’m not saying I’m mentally, or physically, tougher than anyone but I have spent 16+ hrs out on an IM course. Sure, it was great to have the volunteers and spectators and family and friends but, let me tell you, when you are out there that long, and the clock is ticking, your only concern is getting to the finish before the clock strikes 12:00! There is no “Hi! Thanks for coming out! Nice to see you!” and there is no smiling and waving. That is B.S.!

Your legs are sore. Your feet are sore. Your back and neck are sore. You’re tired. And you’re nervous.

So, I say again, if you haven’t figured out how to deal with that, with only 1 more month of training to go, you are in trouble!

Perfect example of "there is no one solution." Everyone has their own personalities, motivations, etc. There are definitely two major schools of thought. One is association - where you are constantly monitoring your body. You know what aches. You feel the pains. You are in the race. The other is disassociation where you take your mind off of what you're doing. That's the high-fiving and scenery watching. Neither one is BS.

Read up on these posts, find one or combine a few that fit well with yourself, and go with it. Whatever gets you through the night, is alright!!
2008-05-02 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1378222

Pro
Andover
runnerx - 2008-05-02 2:04 PM

Read up on these posts, find one or combine a few that fit well with yourself, and go with it. Whatever gets you through the night, is alright!!

Well put. But, do it soon as the clock is ticking!

Edited by Cappy 2008-05-02 1:27 PM

2008-05-02 1:29 PM

Veteran
Keep em' coming. This is helpful. I know one of the things I have to work on, since I'm very slow and am petrified of missing the time cut-off, is not feeling sorry for myself. I'm older (54) and was not doled out the body of an athlete. Then I start blaming my parents and grandparents for their crappy gene pool. I have to work on that area, but it's hard when the feet are burning, the bra is chafing for the zillionth time despite all the Body Glide in the world, and people have finished hours and hours and hours before me.
Rhonda
2008-05-02 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1377637

User image

Master
Reston, VA
leopard8996 - 2008-05-02 10:42 AM

Cappy - 2008-05-02 5:18 AM

NOTE: This is NOT a jab against Kathy! Really!

Seriously, and this goes for everyone, if you are 2 months 2 weeks and 4 days out from your IM and you haven't figured out what to put in your mental toolbox by now, you are in serious trouble! Especially since 1 of those 2 months should be your taper…

It’s probably just me but I don’t see where smiling and saying “hi” and stuff like that is going to help when you are 15+ hours into a race, your tired, hurting like hell, and want to be anywhere but out on the course.

I’m not saying I’m mentally, or physically, tougher than anyone but I have spent 16+ hrs out on an IM course. Sure, it was great to have the volunteers and spectators and family and friends but, let me tell you, when you are out there that long, and the clock is ticking, your only concern is getting to the finish before the clock strikes 12:00! There is no “Hi! Thanks for coming out! Nice to see you!” and there is no smiling and waving. That is B.S.!

Your legs are sore. Your feet are sore. Your back and neck are sore. You’re tired. And you’re nervous.

So, I say again, if you haven’t figured out how to deal with that, with only 1 more month of training to go, you are in trouble!

I completely disagree....

Ironman CDA Race Report

Race day to me is all mental and execution and I have been there so I do speak from experience. Smiling, waving, talking to your other competitors, thanking the volunteers makes the day go faster and while it may seem pointless while you are doing it because you feel like crap or whatever. I had countless people tell me after the race that my encouragement when I saw them along the course helped keep them moving along. So it does work.

X2

I am going to disagree as well. I know thanking volunteers, offering encouragement to others, etc has helped me numerous times when I am hurting and struggling in a race. I also enjoy hearing what others have used race day to mentally get through IM. I have a number of things that work for me but can always add more knowledge and am open to suggestions.

Great thread Kathy.
2008-05-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1377838

User image

Master
CT

DMW - 2008-05-02 10:44 AM I don't know if you can really read about mental issues that other people have had and expect to have the same ones, or know how to deal with them. Everyone is different. Every situation is different.

I imagine it's kind of like giving birth. I can ask as many people as I want about what giving birth is like, and I can prepare to my best ability, but there's really no substitute for my own personal experience. Maybe this is a weird analogy, but my point is that worrying about it months in advance is going to make you stir-crazy (and make the task seem more daunting than it is). Just get out there, get the training in, do your practice sessions. On race day, just GO.

A very good analogy indeed! And, I speak from experience (childbirth, that is) .

Agree that stressing and obsessing for days and weeks and months on end is counterproductive and a waste of energy and time.

Do the training and then just trust that on race day. The rest should fall into place and if it doesnt you deal with it as it comes. 

2008-05-02 2:44 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
For my first IM my wife and daughter put notes and pictures in all of my bags so that I would get a little boost during the race. I would look forward to them and it worked great! best of luck
2008-05-02 3:46 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wow, awesome tips - thanks everyone. It got me thinking about contingencies and adapting during the race when thing don't go according to plan. I've started a separate thread on this subject (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=113107 ) so as not to hijack this one. Any thoughts appreciated!

Gerrard 

2008-05-02 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
The single best piece of advice I ever got was ,"Stay in the Moment!" Find that little something that can put your mind at ease then just get into a smooth rhythm and just monitor youself and your surroundings.
In IMFL, I started off the swim with 2000+ other maniacs and I looked down below me and a ray was gliding by 10 feet below. That just snapped me into a zone. Easy, fluid, free. I thought about how I was feeling, what I needed to do in the next 5 minutes, what I needed to do at the next aid station, and watched the race from the best seat in the house and nothing else. At the start of the marathon as the pros were coming in and as Bella was cruising along I just watched how they looked, relaxed, smooth, and intense. Never let the thoughts like "these guys are finishing and I still have 24 miles to go," in fact never think how much you have to go until you can count the miles on 1 hand and in T2 never think I've got a marathon left.
Remember, this is fun. Enjoy it.
2008-05-02 7:01 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I don't agree with the mean spirited conclusion Capy draws on the first page. Sorry dude, but you are wrong as the day is long speaking in absolutes like that.

Where I think he has a point, however, is the mental discipline for an IM race is formed over the hours spent training. I once made a comment in a thread that, "Training for Ironman should be as lonely as the race itself." What I meant by that is internal dialogue which will occur during the race that you will need to deal with. The race will always be more engaging with all the activity surrounding you to take your mind off issue's, but those don't work so well around mile 14 of the run. That's where the alone time on those long rides where you want to bail but don't come into play and can be a great benefit.
There's no way to have a "mental tool box". It's not like a Bento Box. The best laid plains are more often than not laid waste and you need to deal with the now.
2008-05-02 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1377458

User image

Elite
Chicago

This has been touched on already but....

Things I do to overcome mental "issues" during an IM occur well before the IM. These work for me and may not work for everyone:

1) I never train with music; which requires motivation to come from within. There are many times I'm not motivated in training (many many times) and the mental skills I hone from training to create or increase motivation from within (as opposed to external motivation via music) helped me dramatically in my IMs.

2) I train long, hard, and bored quite often (esp. on the bike) and when race day comes, the bike doesn't feel long, hard or boring. some of my 5 and 6 hour training rides (yes, some of them have been 5-6 hours on the trainer) have been long, hard, and boring...but I got through them and consequently honed skills to create or increase motivation from within.

3) I push (and sometimes even push through) my mental motivational limits often during training; which help tremendously during the IM mental "tough" spots because I have yet to experience an IM race where it was physically or mentally harder than my training (and that's the point of training right?)

there are just a few of the things that have proven to work for me. Again, the things that get me mentally through an IM race are things I've done over and over again well before race day.

Edited by Steve- 2008-05-02 7:06 PM
2008-05-03 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1377262

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

No offense intended, but I do not agree with you either, Rob. You can be preparing your 'mental toolbox' up to the gun goes off.

As others have pointed out, that is only your opinion and not a fact, and it's a very negative opinion.

I think the taper time is the perfect time to be building your 'mental toolbox'.

For me, I would try to focus on 1 or 2 ChiRunning ideas during each mile. I did this in training sometimes, and thought I might do it on my IM run, but didn't actually. I did do it on some of my HIM runs. During the IM, I was too busy enjoying the moments, and at least on my last lap, smiling at the volunteers and hi-fiving the spectators.

During my IM run, I did spend a lot of time thinking back over my training and previous racing. I thought about the challenges I did on BT, some of my first races, my toughest races, how tough it was getting started in the sport, how far I had come in the 3 sports, etc. Also, I spent a lot of time thinking about how I was literally living a dream. I was doing this thing that I had trained for and been focused on for SO LONG. It was quite literally living a dream.

-Tom 

Cappy - 2008-05-02 8:18 AM NOTE: This is NOT a jab against Kathy! Really! Seriously, and this goes for everyone, if you are 2 months 2 weeks and 4 days out from your IM and you haven't figured out what to put in your mental toolbox by now, you are in serious trouble! Especially since 1 of those 2 months should be your taper… It’s probably just me but I don’t see where smiling and saying “hi” and stuff like that is going to help when you are 15+ hours into a race, your tired, hurting like hell, and want to be anywhere but out on the course. I’m not saying I’m mentally, or physically, tougher than anyone but I have spent 16+ hrs out on an IM course. Sure, it was great to have the volunteers and spectators and family and friends but, let me tell you, when you are out there that long, and the clock is ticking, your only concern is getting to the finish before the clock strikes 12:00! There is no “Hi! Thanks for coming out! Nice to see you!” and there is no smiling and waving. That is B.S.! Your legs are sore. Your feet are sore. Your back and neck are sore. You’re tired. And you’re nervous. So, I say again, if you haven’t figured out how to deal with that, with only 1 more month of training to go, you are in trouble!

2008-05-05 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Relax and focus are my moto and worked for last year IMLP. I will used the samethis year. The swim is absolutely crazy but stay in the moment, just keep swimming ( like Dora says..), bike, it's long, and i just got into the scenery and other racers and time went by fast. Don't waste time though, i did and ( stop for potty, vaseline on feet etc ) waisted at least 30min, on the run, just keep going and again relax and focus..keep smiling, get the crownd going they are amazing..

Nathalie

2008-05-05 10:01 AM

User image

Westminster, CO

what really helped me was expecting that I would have low points in the race.  I knew that I would feel pretty poor a time or two on the bike but also knew, as proven in other races and in training, that those would pass.  so one of my first toolbox items I'd go to when I started feeling despair was that I've felt like this many a times, and it will pass.

on the run I tried to balance my focus on strategy with externals:  I gleaned a lot from all the signs and spectators.  absorbing a lot of small things was just enough "candy"

2008-05-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1381934

User image

Expert
St. Louis
greyhound - 2008-05-05 10:01 AM

what really helped me was expecting that I would have low points in the race.  I knew that I would feel pretty poor a time or two on the bike but also knew, as proven in other races and in training, that those would pass.  so one of my first toolbox items I'd go to when I started feeling despair was that I've felt like this many a times, and it will pass.

on the run I tried to balance my focus on strategy with externals:  I gleaned a lot from all the signs and spectators.  absorbing a lot of small things was just enough "candy"

I like that!  I would boil it down to, "THIS TOO SHALL PASS."  It nicely summarizes the fact that you need to enjoy the highs because they may be fleeting, and try to appreciate the lows, knowing that you'll come out of them and feel better soon.

~B

2008-05-05 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1381934

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

This is an excellent point. I was fully expecting to hit a very low point on the bike. I was ready for it, although in my case it never really came. But, be mentally ready for a couple of low spots.

tom 

greyhound - 2008-05-05 11:01 AM

what really helped me was expecting that I would have low points in the race. I knew that I would feel pretty poor a time or two on the bike but also knew, as proven in other races and in training, that those would pass. so one of my first toolbox items I'd go to when I started feeling despair was that I've felt like this many a times, and it will pass.

2008-05-05 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1379023

Pro
Andover
bryancd - 2008-05-02 8:01 PM

I don't agree with the mean spirited conclusion Capy draws on the first page. Sorry dude, but you are wrong as the day is long speaking in absolutes like that.

Where I think he has a point, however, is the mental discipline for an IM race is formed over the hours spent training...

That WAS my point! Sure, you can, and should, keep adding to your toolbox until the gun goes off, but in my opinion, you shouldn't wait until your race is around the corner to start asking yourself what you should put in there.

For example: Those racing LP have known for at least a year that they would be doing the race and, hopefully, have gotten the training in. While they were out putting in the time, in addition to monitoring speed, HR, watts, ... they should have been working on stocking the mental toolbox.

Again, my point was not to wait until the last minute, or 2 months 2 weeks and 1 day, whichever comes first.
2008-05-06 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

What I do...when I have felt like stopping, I just think back to how much pain my father went through in his last days and realize my pain is nothing.

And of course, "Of course it's effing hard, it's an Ironman." (BryanCD)

CP2K

2008-05-06 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I found I used all these different methods at one time or another. Sometimes I would enjoy looking around and greeting people etc. Others, I would be focused and concentrating on technique and how I was feeling. Still others, I would dissociate and be running a song through my head or thinking about my husband and kids, an inspiring quote or mantra. The best times are when I can just relax and be "in the zone", not really thinking about anything, just staying relaxed and going. It is a long race and different things work at different moments.
2008-05-09 8:18 PM

User image

i wish i could bring the ipod.
bono would get me through, but il just have to do it myself i suppose.
2008-05-09 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

I thought about this on my run last night, and I have another suggestion -

While it is good to have lots of things in your 'mental toolbox', I would make sure you clearly outline your primary focus during the different stages of the race. Your mental faculties are not going to be at their highest and you may well forget things. For example, I broke the run at IMAZ down into 6 segments, and had a primary focus for each one that I had well memorized.

-tom 

2008-05-09 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
I have two suggestions.

First a 'nuts and bolts' suggestion for persevering, from some of the psychology of sport books I've read. This is for situations that don't require problem solving, just continuing your effort once "heart" is what you have left.
Finish the statement "I'm doing Ironman because..." with as many different, and personal reasons as you can, add to this list as you learn more about yourself and the process.
These can act as a 'mission statements' and you can post them all around you- Dash of your car, mirror, on your desk, your computer.
Then pick salient, pithy, slogan-esque portions, or related ideas to some of these statements and let them become mantras... easily repeatable idea-fragments that connect you to the positive energy of the thoughts and feelings underlying your desire to complete this event. Share some of these mantras with your spectator group. "Too Legit to Quit" may sound goofy sometimes, but in the middle of the lap 3 when you say it under your breath or it's shouted at you by your "team" and it reminds you of, and connects you deeply to your personal reasons for enduring, it can actually feel pretty good.

Second, knowing it's a long road to a long day I Love this quote from the business world-
"Planning is not an event. It is the continuous process of strengthening what works and abandoning what does not, of making risk-taking decisions with the greatest knowledge of their potential effect, of setting objectives, appraising performance and results through systematic feedback, and making ongoing adjustments as conditions change."- Peter Drucker
Keep Up The Good Work!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental toolbox for IM racing and training Rss Feed  

of 2