General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental toolbox for IM racing and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-05-01 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Mental toolbox for IM racing and training

I read over and over the mental issues folks have racing in their IM race reports and various techniques folks use to overcome negative thoughts. By reading race reports I have learned a lot. One idea I read over and over think 1 mile at a time on the run not how far you need to go. .

So I'd like to hear how you guys prepare or ideas, thoughts whatever helped you be stronger mentally for your IM.

What I want is to develop a mental toolbox of ideas/threads/techniques or whatever to help me stay positive, readjust if needed and keep me motivated I practice training and can use come race day.

You who read my blog regularly know I do this silly Pike thing swimming. After being extremely frustrated with my swimming a BT friend told me to come up with an animal or visual that I would like to swim like..so I came up with Northern Pike. I used to catch them finishing in MN in the summers..they are lean, powerful, fast..(not that I'm any of those but bare with me) so that is my on going upbeat swim thing I do. At my last tri Bassman I wrote Pike on my swim cap..that is my picture for my new avatar, my coach names all my swims bad azz pike swim # BAPS for short. Goofy as it is it makes swimming upbeat and lighter and I'm not as negative as I had been.

I'd love to hear from you guys how you have stayed positive in tough patches on race day so maybe it can help me or others learn from you. Thanks!

2008-05-01 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1376220

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Mental toolbox for IM racing and training

Good question Kathy.  On the swim I was counting stokes.  I knew how many stokes a lap was in the pool so I was counting stokes to kinda guage how far I'd come.  At some point I gave that up and just relaxed and enjoyed the swim.  I looked around at all the swim caps and thought "this is SO COOL!  I'm doing a damn Ironman!!!"  I  was so pumped on the swim...the time just flew by.

I spent 7 hours on the bike and I guess I thought about everything imaginable.  Didn't really have a mantra.  Just kept moving. 

Like you mentioned, the run tended to focus on the next mile.  I set a time goal for each mile and did my best to meet each goal.  The only thoughts of "DNF" that came to me was when I saw other people go down and heard the ambulance.  That is when I would give extra effort to eat and drink so I stayed fueled. 

~Mike

2008-05-01 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
My best recommendation on mental prep came from PNF and it worked amazingly well for me last year:

1. Why Ironman? - You need to know why you are doing this. When you are on the course and feel alone, knowing your reason for being out there and focusing on that can help you through the tough moments.

2. Manage your expectations - This was a big one for me because I felt a tremendous amount of pressure to finish. The pressure and fear of failure was weighing so heavily on me. When I let that go and made my goal getting to the starting line I felt so much more relaxed and confident about the race.

3. Focus on what you can control - You can't control the weather, the condition of your fellow athletes, the course etc so don't get yourself stressed out about those things. Instead dial in the things you have direct control over. Your gear, your nutrition plan, your training.

4. Stay Present - This is the most important one. For us the day is going to be long and when you are out there pretty much alone at mile 90 of the bike or mile 20 of the run you can't be thinking ahead to having to run a marathon or those last 6 miles to the finish. You have to stay in the moment and not get distracted by the next thing. Learning to be with yourself during the highs and lows of the day is also very important.

You will do great. Practice and prepare for all the possibilities and have as much fun as you can. Ultimately it's just a day. A lot can happen and if you go in with the attitude that the outcome of the day doesn't matter (ie you are no better or worse of a person if you have a great day or DNF for some unforseen reason) you will be able to enjoy each moment as it comes, deal with challenges calmly if they arise and have fun!

Edited by leopard8996 2008-05-01 4:44 PM
2008-05-01 5:05 PM

Veteran
This is a great thread. Thanks Kathy for starting it. I hope it keeps up! In my training, I sure have experienced the highs and lows so far. Plus, being in my own mind for hours at a time is pretty lonely. Any advice on how you can stand yourself for so long anyone?
Rhonda
2008-05-01 5:23 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
A prescription for an anti-depressant seems to be necessary for me. Seriously, though, I am glad I will not be doing an IM next year because I need to work on my brain and the way I approach all of this. I need to learn to take it less seriously while still finding it a valuable pursuit.
2008-05-01 6:50 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

There were two things that got me through some of the darkest times at LP last year. One was planned for and the other was a totally random.

1). One of my training partners who ultimately went to Kona last year gave me this bit of advice.

Pack a few scraps of paper in your SN bag and a few more in a plastic baggie to carry with you on the run. Before things start to get pearshaped, pull out one or more of these scraps of paper and read it to yourself.

These can have anything on them, from bits of inspiration from race reports, notes from friends, quotes etc. Make it as random as possible as to what comes out.

In addition to some notes from a few friends that I did not read before hand, I also packed clips from a few BT IM race reports as well as a few posts. It was pretty cool to read these things out on the course. "I Love You" was the best one I read by far. (I started balling right there at the turnaround on the back side of loop 2)

2). Get to know  the folks your racing with

Last year was my 5th Tri Season but the first where I actually knew other Triathletes.

When I first got into this sport, I  trained alone and there were no Tri Clubs in the area where I live. I raced 4 seasons showing up for races not knowing a soul.

IMCal and IMLP were the first Triathlons I ever did where I knew people out on the course. Because of the out-and-back nature of IM courses, you get to see a lot of people a bunch of times.

The suprise was that it was always at the darkest moment that I would see someone that I knew and give them a high five or a shout. It really cheered me up to know I was not alone out there.  Many of them were BT Folks and quite a few I had met that weekend at the warmup swim.

2008-05-01 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Great thread!

I gave this a lot of thought and can't recall much of the bad times except when I started to run and knew I had overdone it on the bike and I would not make my anticipated time. I was angry at myself for a mile or so but just kept going along thinking I am not wasting all of that damn training. So I kept moving. I am terrible at math but kept trying to calculate my finish time based on how fast I was ticking off the miles. It kept my mind in the game and helped a lot.

Another thing that was already mentioned is saying hi and being sociable to others on the course, spectators and volunteers. Even if it was just words of encouragement while being passed it was a second or two I wasn't thinking about the discomfort I was going through.

In the end I look back at the day and only remember how friggin awesome an experience it was. I cannot wait to go back this year and learn from my mistakes!

I had my whole family at LP with me and we all had a great time but I can't wait to meet some of you fine folks. Last year I wasn't really using this site to track my progress. I wish I had.

C'mon 7-20-08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008-05-01 7:38 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Love the ideas..keep them coming...
2008-05-02 5:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Hi Kath!

I already shared a couple of funny little ideas with you, but here is one I forgot about. I spectated all day long right up until midnight at IMLP last year... It was an amazing experience!
During my current IMLP training, I make it a point to smile and imagine that I am entering the Olympic Oval and approaching the finish line at the end of every one of my runs (even if it's just a shorter brick run). I'll even put my arms up (just part way...I don't want the neighbors to think I am too wacked! lol) I pretend that I see my family and friends... I wonder if I will think of these training moments when the real thing happens? I also read that it has been scientifically determined that smiling facilitates a more positive body chemistry so I try to remember to smile sometimes during a race...even if it's just for myself...

This is a great thread!
2008-05-02 7:11 AM

Champion

During the swim, I'd sing to myself in my head.  I'd get a couple of songs and sing them over and over.  The beauty of Lake Placid, and other courses as well, is that it's two laps so you get to flip the record over (OK, shoot me, I'm old school....change the CD) at the halfway point!

On the bike, I'm a sightseer, pure and simple.  I look at the foliage, the guy out in his yard mowing the lawn, the fly fisherman, the brooks and rivers.  Lake Placid is a great course for this too.  And I'm a people watcher.  I'll make comments to the spectators as I ride.  To the 60 year old guy applauding as I ride by, "So am I going to see you out here next year doing this?"  A woman standing outside her house gets, "I'll wash your windows if you'll bake me some chocolate chip cookies!"  Anything for a laugh.  I'll hand out compliments to those riders I pass or who pass me.  Anything to keep your head in the game.

On the run, it's all about counting and calculating.  I see how many hours I have left, I know the distance by the mileage signs, so I do the mental gymnastics.  "Let's see...XX miles in 5 hours and 20 minutes means YY pace per mile."  Check my watch for the next mile, and I'm 3 minutes per mile above that with 20 miles to go so I have an hour in the bank.  2 miles later I'm doing it all over again.  The pace is slower so I have more time to thank volunteers and make more hilarious comments.  Wear something unusual on the run so that people will remember you.  A running shirt that says on the back "If you see this body by the side of the road, return it to the finish line" will crack up everyone who passes you.  Sing songs, sing out loud, who cares what you sound like.  Pick out several landmarks and run from one to another.  The horse show grounds, the corner of River Road, the twisty "S" turn a couple miles later, the River Road turnaround, the "S" turn again, back to the corner, the horse show grounds, the bottom of the steep hill into town, the top of the hill at mirror lake, the turn around.  Make it a goal just to get to the next one, ad infinitum.  Look for friends, interact with them a lot.

Edited by max 2008-05-02 7:12 AM
2008-05-02 7:18 AM

Pro
Andover
NOTE: This is NOT a jab against Kathy! Really!

Seriously, and this goes for everyone, if you are 2 months 2 weeks and 4 days out from your IM and you haven't figured out what to put in your mental toolbox by now, you are in serious trouble! Especially since 1 of those 2 months should be your taper…

It’s probably just me but I don’t see where smiling and saying “hi” and stuff like that is going to help when you are 15+ hours into a race, your tired, hurting like hell, and want to be anywhere but out on the course.

I’m not saying I’m mentally, or physically, tougher than anyone but I have spent 16+ hrs out on an IM course. Sure, it was great to have the volunteers and spectators and family and friends but, let me tell you, when you are out there that long, and the clock is ticking, your only concern is getting to the finish before the clock strikes 12:00! There is no “Hi! Thanks for coming out! Nice to see you!” and there is no smiling and waving. That is B.S.!

Your legs are sore. Your feet are sore. Your back and neck are sore. You’re tired. And you’re nervous.

So, I say again, if you haven’t figured out how to deal with that, with only 1 more month of training to go, you are in trouble!

2008-05-02 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1376428

Champion
No excuses!

writers2 - 2008-05-01 6:05 PM This is a great thread. Thanks Kathy for starting it. I hope it keeps up! In my training, I sure have experienced the highs and lows so far. Plus, being in my own mind for hours at a time is pretty lonely. Any advice on how you can stand yourself for so long anyone? Rhonda

I do all my running and riding alone which I think really helps with the fact that you will be out there by yourself for so long. I did Redman Iron Distance last year which unlike an IM brand with 2000+ athletes and a ton of spectators there were 300 or so athletes so a good portion of the time it was just you and nature.

I think a good 6 hour ride by your lonesome really helps prepare for the day.

2008-05-02 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1377262

User image

Champion
MA

Cappy - 2008-05-02 8:18 AM NOTE: This is NOT a jab against Kathy! Really!

I don't believe you Rob..you take jabs at me every time you can...I don't care what you think....

Edited by KathyG 2008-05-02 7:35 AM
2008-05-02 7:37 AM

Champion

Cappy - 2008-05-02 8:18 AM ...when you are out there that long, and the clock is ticking, your only concern is getting to the finish before the clock strikes 12:00!

LOL...I remember how paranoid you were that my calculations were off and we wouldn't make it.  Hell, I had 17 minutes to spare!!! 

Edited by max 2008-05-02 7:37 AM
2008-05-02 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Great thread Kathy! Thanks for starting. I do think all these things help- at least they have in my mary and my HIM. Maybe some people don't think so, but the majority seems to think it's a good thing.

Max, you are so funny. I would like to race with you sometime. I bet the time just FLIES by.

I also sing songs (but only in my head as not to annoy others since I am BAAAAD) and I am also a sightseer/people watcher. Sometimes I'll make stories up about people I see. Not bad stories, good stories. Like when I see a couple racing, I'll decide they are celebrating an anniversary, or that they just got engaged. When I see a parent and child racing, it's to celebrate someone's birthday, or perhaps someone's good health, etc. I also do this in restaurants. My brain works so funny all the time! It doesn't matter that I have no idea what their story is, I'll come up with one I think is inspirational or good and that's the one I'll think about.

2008-05-02 7:56 AM
in reply to: #1377325

Champion
SuzanneS - 2008-05-02 8:52 AM

Max, you are so funny. I would like to race with you sometime. I bet the time just FLIES by.

Well get yourself over to New England!  If you don't mind a large blow-up air bed, we have a free place for you to stay.  There are actually plenty of us here who could keep you entertained during a race.  To paraphrase Jimmy Buffett, if we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane! 

2008-05-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1377297

Pro
Andover
max - 2008-05-02 8:37 AM

Cappy - 2008-05-02 8:18 AM ...when you are out there that long, and the clock is ticking, your only concern is getting to the finish before the clock strikes 12:00!

LOL...I remember how paranoid you were that my calculations were off and we wouldn't make it. Hell, I had 17 minutes to spare!!!

Can't knock experinece I guess!

KathyG - 2008-05-02 8:31 AM

Cappy - 2008-05-02 8:18 AM NOTE: This is NOT a jab against Kathy! Really!

I don't believe you Rob..you take jabs at me every time you can...I don't care what you think....

Honestly, Kathy, you’re pretty vain if you think every post I put up is a jab at you. True, some have been—and were deserved if you ask me—but this post wasn’t about you. It was an honest post from experience!

Look, we have our differences--that should come as no shock to those that have been around these parts--but I don’t want to see anyone DNF in an IM, and that includes you. I sincerely wish you the best of luck out there!

2008-05-02 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great thread and a lot of good ideas...

You do the training, buy the gear, read the articles, postings and threads, test the nutrition, listen to your coach, formulate a plan, and get to the start line. Once the cannon fires; it's just YOU against the course.

Ideally, everything goes perfect, but if race day happens to deal you a tough hand, YOU just have to adapt, make adjustments, and harden up. There are no magic words or secrets that get YOU to the finish line.

The cheering family, spectators, and volunteers are really nice, but in the end; if it's hour 15 and you still have X miles to go, it's just YOU putting one foot in front of the other as fast as you can.

It is a mental toughness that is developed during the long swims, bikes, and runs that provides the confidence that YOU can/will do this.

My .02
2008-05-02 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

There is some great advice here, particularly answering the question as to why you are doing this.  This is important, particularly in training, as you will likely end up having doubts at some point and asking yourself that question.  Having that answer and being able to tell yourself to shut TFU helps get you through the tough patches in training sessions and the race. 

Also, I find it particularly useful to quite the mind and shut off at points during the race, i.e. get in a rythem and go on autopilot.  The IM is a very long day and just as draining mentally as it is physically, if not more so, and it is good to take breaks from thinking about sometimes.  There is a balance with this, so don't go to sleep and forget your nutrition or let your HR get out of control.

Finally, soak the atmosphere in and take a look at the people around you when you need the extra motivation.  To me, generally being around other triathletes that signed up the year before and have endured the training, suffering the course and conditions, all with a common goal of finishing, is an inspiring thing in and of itself to get through the difficult points.

Recognizing that there will be tough patches and having a plan to deal with them is very important.

2008-05-02 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Train your body and train your mind.  Do not allow yourself to think negative thoughts.  You CAN control your thoughts.  You can't stop a thought from coming to your mind but you don't have to entertrain that thought.

During training when I feel the urge to cut a session short, I tell myself I can either endure another 20 minutes of swimming (or whatever I'm doing) or I can live the rest of the day with guilt knowing I quit early.

~Mike

2008-05-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1377458

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Rogillio - 2008-05-02 9:42 AM

Train your body and train your mind.  Do not allow yourself to think negative thoughts.  You CAN control your thoughts.  You can't stop a thought from coming to your mind but you don't have to entertrain that thought.

During training when I feel the urge to cut a session short, I tell myself I can either endure another 20 minutes of swimming (or whatever I'm doing) or I can live the rest of the day with guilt knowing I quit early.

~Mike

oooooo that's a good one.

2008-05-02 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Cappy - 2008-05-02 5:18 AM

Seriously, and this goes for everyone, if you are 2 months 2 weeks and 4 days out from your IM and you haven't figured out what to put in your mental toolbox by now, you are in serious trouble! Especially since 1 of those 2 months should be your taper…

It’s probably just me but I don’t see where smiling and saying “hi” and stuff like that is going to help when you are 15+ hours into a race, your tired, hurting like hell, and want to be anywhere but out on the course.

I’m not saying I’m mentally, or physically, tougher than anyone but I have spent 16+ hrs out on an IM course. Sure, it was great to have the volunteers and spectators and family and friends but, let me tell you, when you are out there that long, and the clock is ticking, your only concern is getting to the finish before the clock strikes 12:00! There is no “Hi! Thanks for coming out! Nice to see you!” and there is no smiling and waving. That is B.S.!

Your legs are sore. Your feet are sore. Your back and neck are sore. You’re tired. And you’re nervous.

So, I say again, if you haven’t figured out how to deal with that, with only 1 more month of training to go, you are in trouble!

I completely disagree....

Ironman CDA Race Report

Race day to me is all mental and execution and I have been there so I do speak from experience. Smiling, waving, talking to your other competitors, thanking the volunteers makes the day go faster and while it may seem pointless while you are doing it because you feel like crap or whatever. I had countless people tell me after the race that my encouragement when I saw them along the course helped keep them moving along. So it does work.

2008-05-02 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Cappy - 2008-05-02 7:18 AM

That was your experience.... others have/will have different experiences. So dont call B.S.

If you had it ALL figured out before 2 months out... you lost alot of time to learn. This whole process to, and up through race day IS all part of the process.
2008-05-02 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1377458

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Rogillio - 2008-05-02 8:42 AM

~Mike

I do this very often to.... GREAT mental training. I try to tell myself "i can survive anything for another 10 minutes", or whatever the cause may be. And trust me, there has been alot of talking myself into workouts lately when general fatigue is setting in!
2008-05-02 10:09 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Remember to say Hi, Hello, THANKYOU to all the race support VOLUNTEERS.   You are always moving forward, but they are stuck there for hours at a time.

It's called Good Karma.

Keep in the moment and never stop moving forward (even if it is slow).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental toolbox for IM racing and training Rss Feed  

of 2