Conway Running Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 49s
Overall Rank = 261/348
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:15, ate a bowl of oatmeal, drank two bottles of gatorade, and drove to the race. Took me about 40 minutes to get to the race.
Event warmup:

Did some stretches and stayed inside the registration building with everyone else to get out of the brutally cold wind.
Run
  • 59m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I had two goals for this race. The first was to finish in under one hour and the secondary goal was to try to beat 55 minutes. I was well under my needed pace to achieve the second goal when right around 4.5 miles I developed a painful muscle spasm in my lower right back muscle just below the shoulder blade. I had to walk it out for about 3 minutes while I tried to massage it enough so that I could run again. Still 59:49 is a PR nonetheless.
What would you do differently?:

I need to be more diligent about getting my weekend long runs into my schedule.
Post race
Event comments:

Having to yell at people to get out of the way when I was approaching the entrance to the track was really annoying. The crowd control at that point really kind of sucked with people walking across the race course.

Many runners (myself included) had to ask other people where the post race food/drink stations were as they were not obvious nor where directions visible to direct you that they were in the concession area under the stadium.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:49 | 06.21 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/23
Overall: 261/348
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was relatively flat with some long rolling uphills and downhills. It was quite the moral destroyer to come back to the track/stadium see the finish line and then realize that you still had to do a 1/4 mile loop around the track. The 30 mph gusting wind head wind for the first half of the course was brutal. The second half of the course snaked through residential neighborhoods and thus one never got to use it as a tail wind. Best comment heard between two college guys before the race started was, "Just how close do I need to be to you to draft off of someone while running?" With the response of, "NO Spooning."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-03 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: Toad Suck Daze 10k

2008-05-03 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1379929

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Toad Suck Daze 10k
Nice race! I still have a coffee mug from the fine hamlat of toad suck.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toad Suck Daze 10k Rss Feed