General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Virginia Double and Triple IRON Triathlon Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-04 12:02 PM

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Subject: Virginia Double and Triple IRON Triathlon Help
(this was also posted under the "Virginia" section before I realized it was, wanted other states to see this as well)

Hey all - just wanted to get a thread started about the race this year (3-5 October, Lake Anna State Park, southwest of Fredericksburg VA) and invite anyone out for the weekend that would like to help us put the race on. I need volunteers to help me set up and conduct the race OR support a racer.

If you would like to support a racer, here are some details: The Triple starts Friday morning at 7:00 a.m. and the Double starts Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m. The athlete has until Sunday evening at 7:00 p.m. to finish. The first people usually cross the finish line early Sunday morning and they will straggle across thruout the day.

If you would like to help me out, I start setting up Thursday morning (9ish), check-in for the athletes starts late that afternoon. Whenever you could make it out, your help would be appreciated. Be ready to set up a tent or sleep out of your vehicle, there is a camping area in the park about a mile away from where we are set up (or a short walk thru the trees). There are some cabins in the park (those have usually been all reserved by athletes earlier in the year) or hotels outside the park.

Let me know if you are interested in helping out and I will answer any questions you might have. You will not be sorry you came out to help as you will meet all sorts of athletes and their families and support crews and us as well. There are a few users of Beginner Triathlete that have raced the past couple of years and they have met friends, fellow racers and support crews thru this site.

This race is a little different than the normal triathlons you might be used to where there are undred or even thousands of people in attendance (racers, vols and spectators). We might hit 100 people overall. It doesn't take a lot of people to put this race on, just a few good dedicated soles. We don't have water/food stations thruout the course that takes large amounts of people. We have the main transition area and will have a food tent set up there where athletes can get some water/Hammergel product and food items, or mainly a lot of athletes bring their own conctions of things. When you race at this level, it is very important to race with what you train with. What you can get away with at a 10K, marathon or Half IRON doesn't work when you do a Double or Triple. Your tummy starts getting upset, you have a long way to go with those symptons, not a short couple miles to the finish line.

The website for the race is www.USAUltraTri.com, my email address is [email protected] or my phone number is (757) 430-8021. We will feed you from Thursday noon until Sunday evening and show you (hopefully) a good time.

Please consider coming and helpig us out - besides volunteering for an athlete (you will be with that athlete thruout the race and support only that person), you could help us set up, prepare food, check in Thursday or Friday evening, man the food tent, man either the main/headquarters timing station or the bike or run turnaround timing station or help with admin duties at updating the spreadsheet for the website or downloading and answering emails that are sent to the athletes. The race goes on non-stop from Friday morning thru Sunday evening so we need to do these duties in shifts. None of it is physically hard, just lots of it for long periods over the weekend - but we have fun at it.

Steve Kirby

Edited by USAUltraTri 2008-05-04 12:09 PM

2008-05-04 8:41 PM
in reply to: #1380607

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Subject: RE: Virginia Double and Triple IRON Triathlon Help
Somebody had emailed me about crewing and what all was involved. For those that don't know, when you do a Double IRON or above, you need a support crew to help you. We term it like a Nascar race, where the athlete is just concerned with racing - the support crew will get them their fluids, nutrition, change of clothing etc.

The race organizer has some things available, however as I mentioned in the first post, you really need to race with the foods and fluids you are used to using in training. This isn't the time to try something new that the race might have. The race will let you know what is available, ours we have Hammer Nutrition gels and Heed, fruits, water, Coke, and we provide regular meals that are for the racer, our staff and the support crews that have paid for it (if you come to help me provide support for a racer, you will be fed, the racers pays for this).

The swim takes anywhere from 2-4 hours for the Double (4.8 miles) and 3-5+ hours for the Triple (7.2 miles). They swim a clockwise pattern 2,112 foot loop (1,056 feet line) that I have anchored in the lake bed, for the most part of it if they get in trouble they can stand up, there are a few places that get over their head. They athlete will let you know how many laps to wade out and bring them whatever they need.

Once on the bike, it is just shy of a 5 mile loop, which takes roughly 20-25 minutes per lap. When they come back to the main trans area, they do a turn in the road to head back out and this is where you will hand them anything. Some things you need to keep track of (every so much time for pills and things) and some things they will tell you they want on the next loop back and you have 20 minutes to make a PB&J or Ham and Cheese or whatever they wanted.
The Triple swill ride 336 miles, the lead people will finish sometime Saturday afternoon and the end group will finish towards midnight. The Doubles will finish later on at night into early morning.

The run is a 2 (plus a few feet to get the .4 or .6 of 52.4 and 78.6 miles for the Double and Triple into the equation, makes for equal loops) mile out and back loop. We have a table down at the other end and some athletes will have some of their stuff placed there and then you will provide stuff at the main trans. We will have water and Heed down there as well. We do not put water or Heed on the bike course, not needed.

The athletes are racing all night long, stopping when they need to. Some of the athletes will not stop to rest, especially the competitive ones. Last year on the Triple IRON, I don't think some of the top finishers slept, it was a very much faster race last year than in past years.

Anyway - that is a quick synopsis on what goes on with supports crews if you are interested in coming out to help - your help is needed. I have some athletes coming from overseas and even inside the country that have a hard time paying for a friend to come out - gets kinda expensive.

Let me know if you are interested or have more questions. Gina Vandiver, Don Pett, Peter Mountz and Andrew Shanks can all vouch for racing, crewing and the Double and Triple IRON.
2008-05-04 8:53 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Tom Washington (Madcow) also raced the double last year if anyone has questions about it.  I don't remember who everyone on his crew was, so I don't want to name names and leave anyone out, but hopefully they will chime in and answer questions that anyone has.
2008-05-05 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
I did the double last year and I found it to be a great race.  I had no idea or expectations as to what the venue would be like.  I was very pleased with the way everything was handled.  Steve and his staff did a great job and I would highly recommend it.  If your looking to push yourself to new limits, then this is the one to do.
2008-05-05 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
I've done the double and triple at this event and if it weren't for lack of vacation time, I'd definitely be back up there this year to help volunteer.  The volunteers are what make the race and I would love to return the favor.  It's a great experience and witnessing the awesome athletic talent and mental determination of the competitors is amazing.  No task is too small and there are so many ways one can help out.  Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding the race!  Steve and crew put on a GREAT race and it's so much fun!
2008-05-05 10:21 AM

User image

Buttercup

Hi, Steve. I'll volunteer. I had a great time last year. Need to think about how involved/busy I can commit to being. I'll email you.

- MadCow Harem Member

2008-05-05 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
I helped out Gina in the Triple and Paul Grimm in the Double last year and had a blast. It's a fun weekend and everyone is really friendly and pretty easy going.

I'll be doing the Triple this year as part of a 2 person relay with Melissa, who Crewed her Mother, Kathy, in the Triple last year.

So any questions feel free to ask and I'll hopefully see some of you guys out there!!

Shanks
2008-05-05 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
I've been crew for both RAAM and The 508 and this sounds interesting. Quick Qs:

1 - Do the racers have multiple crew? If your racer never sleeps, you might need a second-crew for relief

2 - Can the crew serve as a pacer too? I'm assuming you allow pacers for the run.
2008-05-05 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1382110

User image

Elite
San Diego

D_M_S - 2008-05-05 9:10 AM I've been crew for both RAAM and The 508 and this sounds interesting. Quick Qs: 1 - Do the racers have multiple crew? If your racer never sleeps, you might need a second-crew for relief 2 - Can the crew serve as a pacer too? I'm assuming you allow pacers for the run.

1. Yes, I had a whole group of people crewing for me, but one crew chief, who took care of most of the planning. I think she slept for a few minutes at one point.

2. Most of my crew paced me, not so much for the bike, but the run, definitely. My crew chief stayed back and kept track of everything else.

2008-05-21 3:24 PM

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Hey all - didn't realize this post was still up there, I lost it somewhere (glad I found it). As you can see from the website (if you haven't noticed yet), I have closed registration as I have 40 athletes competing already (ANdrew - you and Melissa are still good - you are counted in my numbers, just need to get an app and monies from you).

I have I think 22 Triples and 18 Doubles. I will allow 2 more females into the Double so we have 3 females racing, right now it is only Debbie Sidol from OH who is signed up. The rest are dudes.

Support crews are made up of different sizes, depends on who you are and what is required. Some people require a lot of assistance, others very minimal.

Thanks for crewing Renee, we will keep in touch with emails about when you can come and what you would like to do. I am needing help on both sides - crewing and race staff.

D M S - crew can pace the bikers and runners. As you can imagine - this event is raced a little slower than Ironman's, however Beat, Sergio and our very own Gina (grvfrog) pushed the limits. They were putting in overtime.

Let me know if you have any other questions and you others out there, email me as well if you want to come help out. [email protected]

Kirb
2008-06-08 1:43 PM

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 months to go, I have been corresonding with a few individuals but anyone out there that also wants to help, please let me know. You can see what some of the others have written - long days but they are not hard - just rewarding when it all finishes and the atheltes have crossed the finish line with their national anthem playing and them carrying their countries flag. Very inspiring.

give me a shout if you have questions but please don't let this opportunity pass you by to come out and help out.

Thanks a lot.

Kirb

2008-08-08 5:20 PM

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Just thought I would get this discussion started again as we are less than two months away from the race. I have heard from a couple of people, if anyone else is interested in coming out and helping, please let me know.

The ones that have helped before can tell you what a great experience it is.

Kirb
[email protected]
www.USAUltraTri.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Virginia Double and Triple IRON Triathlon Help Rss Feed