General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-on aero bars on a Tarmac? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-04 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Clip-on aero bars on a Tarmac?
I have a Specialized Tarmac that I am using for a HIM later this summer. I have been told NOT to use aero bars as this type of bike is not well suited for them.

I have a pair of Profile Jammers that when I mount them, my hands don't extend beyond the front of the hoods. I am slightly lower (the angle of my torso to thigh is closed more) when in the clip-ons than when I am in the drops.

My thought is that if I use the clip-ons I will be able to rest my upper body and conserve some energy for the 56 mile ride. I have a good fit overall and don't really want to add another seatpost and get refitted at this time. My plans are to buy a tri bike if I am successful with the HIM and decide to push on to a full Ironman. I really want to know if I should throw the bars on since I already have them.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

2008-05-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1381097

User image

Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Clip-on aero bars on a Tarmac?
I have the tarmac with the Jammers and it works great! I was going 40+mph on some of the downhills in aero yesterday on a 74 mile bike ride with no twitches or instability. I too thought about possibly getting a tri bike in the future, but the more I ride this bike the less I feel the need to get the tri bike. I don't have a fast forward seatpost but I don't feel overly stretched out either. Bottom line, it works well for me and it is nice to have another position to use to rest. Good luck on your race and use the jammers!
2008-05-04 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

My Tarmac I rode last winter with aerobars on it.

Why would be the question I'd ask them. Probably sketchy steering but I didn't have a problem.

2008-05-12 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

I rode my Tarmac w/ cheapy aero's last season and felt fine. The factory seat is not very conducive to it but other than that I had no stability problems or anything.

ETA: I bought my bike at one of Specialized's "Concept" stores where they specialize in Specialized.  When I told the guys I was doing a tri they offered to refit with aerobars and a forward seat.  It was actually their idea so I don't see any reason it can't be done on a Tarmac.

Edited by shaggy28 2008-05-12 12:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clip-on aero bars on a Tarmac? Rss Feed