General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missing a workout and rescheduling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-05 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: Missing a workout and rescheduling

Ok... so I've been battling this question for a while now. It's my third season, and I'm training for a HIM in September. The volume of training is much higher than my beginner sprint days, so I'm having to do some juggling with workouts. When I miss a session due to life, I have been bumping it to another day in the week. In theory, this is a great idea. However, in practice it tends to get pretty tough when I'm already dealing with a high volume schedule.

So those weeks where I miss a workout and have to bump it to later, I tend to end up being short for the week anyways. This, of course, gets me stressed because I didn't put in all the training for the week. I know I should be happy with completing 90% of my training, but being a type A person it really bugs me.

My question is... what do you do when you have to miss a scheduled session? Do you bump it to a later day in the week, or do you just skip it all together? I'm worried that my doubling up of workouts may actually causing more damage (burnout) then good. Or should I just continue being creative, and trying to sneak in a missed workout when time  permits? Does this bug anyone else? 

2008-05-05 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1382034

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Missing a workout and rescheduling

It really depends on the session. If it's a key session, certainly make it up. That might require moving around some other workouts so you're going into the workout with the appropriate rest and/or allow yourself appropriate recovery afterwards.

If it's a not a key session, and rescheduling creates too much stress or potentially affects other sessions, then skipping it might be the best bet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missing a workout and rescheduling Rss Feed