General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinervals 16.0 Aero Base building Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-03 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Spinervals 16.0 Aero Base building
Got this new DVD title for Xmas - thought I'd pass along a review.

I've posted my thoughts on other spinervals titles on other threads and they are generally favorable. The only beef I've had with the spinervals series (other than the music!) is that they are usually 'red' zone training - forcing you to go anaerobic and getting your H.R. elevated very high. This meant they didn't often fit into my training plan - especially if the goal was to build base endurance, which is often the case during winter months.

Now there are several titles in the spinervals competition series in which the focus is 'blue' zone training - these workouts are a lower intensity where the goal is to keep the H.R. below threshold. In spinervals 16.0 this is done with a workout that consists of longer intervals with less rest between, in which the intensity is kept low enough to maintain a H.R. that is below threshold. This is intended to improve aerobic endurance and to train the body to utilize fats for energy and conserve carbohydrates. The main set (from memory - forgive minor errors here):

4 x 5 minutes - Big ring/15 - 90 r.p.m (1 minute rest between)
4 x 4 minutes - Big ring/18 - 100 r.p.m (45 sec rest between)
4 x 3 minutes - Big ring/21 - 105-110 r.p.m (30 sec rest between)
4 x 2 minutes - Small ring/15 120 r.p.m (20 sec rest between)

Add in a warm-up and a cool-down and that's about it. Ends up being about a 75 minute session. You don't feel quite so wiped out after this workout as you do during the other spinervals sessions I've used, but the longer steady state sets can get a little boring. It's a good workout, however, and much more appropriate for off-season base building.

2005-01-03 9:17 PM
in reply to: #98277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: RE: Spinervals 16.0 Aero Base building

Thanks for that Eric, very informative.  Sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for.  I'll be sure to put one on my next order from TriSports.

Travis 

2005-01-07 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the review. I have 4 of the other spinerval dvds and I would have to agree with you about the "red zone" training on them. I haven't purchased any of the new spinerval base building dvds, but plan on buying both of them in the new future. Again, thanks for the review.
2005-01-07 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Good stuff! I've been thinking about getting a DVD or two with the aero base building but was wondering about that very issue. Redlining is not for me right now. Thanks for the info!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinervals 16.0 Aero Base building Rss Feed